Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rev-matching vs not matching downshifts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Rev-matching vs not matching downshifts?

l accidentally downshifted today from 4th to 2nd going 40mph to make a turn that required me to be in 2nd gear and blipped the throttle up to 4k, interestingly-the throttle blipped higher to 5k and no damage to the trans or engine...bc the Mirage has a synromesh gearbox, does it blip the rpms? Does it have a safety measure in place if l don't rev-match my downshifts? Or something else? Thanks.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Were you expecting damage?

Okay, you hit on the answer to your own question with one word.

Synchromesh.

Look it up. It doesn't "blip", but sort of works like a clutch and spins the gear up to speed so that it will slide into place. There are some great videos that will show this much better than I can explain it.

If you didn't have synchros on your gears, then every time you didn't rev-match, the gears would grind horribly. Synchromesh is how the transmission handles matching the speed of the gear so that it slips into place. Proper rev-matching with a throttle blip, or a well-timed up-shift just makes it a lot "easier", the synchro rings don't have as much work to do, so it's a little smoother and quicker and is causing less wear to those synchro rings.

You're not going to instantly break your transmission by not rev-matching. You're just causing more wear to your synchros. So, maybe instead of lasting 300,000 miles, they'll only last 150,000 miles.
    Simplify and add lightness.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-08-2020),MirageRally (09-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Were you expecting damage?

Okay, you hit on the answer to your own question with one word.

Synchromesh.

Look it up. It doesn't "blip", but sort of works like a clutch and spins the gear up to speed so that it will slide into place. There are some great videos that will show this much better than I can explain it.

If you didn't have synchros on your gears, then every time you didn't rev-match, the gears would grind horribly. Synchromesh is how the transmission handles matching the speed of the gear so that it slips into place. Proper rev-matching with a throttle blip, or a well-timed up-shift just makes it a lot "easier", the synchro rings don't have as much work to do, so it's a little smoother and quicker and is causing less wear to those synchro rings.

You're not going to instantly break your transmission by not rev-matching. You're just causing more wear to your synchros. So, maybe instead of lasting 300,000 miles, they'll only last 150,000 miles.
    Good to know Thanks Loren

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Good to know Thanks Loren
    I had a bad shift from second to third gear a few weeks ago. Didn't engage into 3rd, and my car made a bunch of grinding noise, bunch of loud racket. I don't think I broke my car. Seems fine, I seem to go through periods when I stall my car 3 times in 1 week, then don't stall for 6 months.

I have had my Mirage over 5 grand rpm numerous times, even cruising at high speed once or twice on an empty freeway.. but not often. I try to shift for fuel economy, like the plan is meant to be for Mirages. The Mirage can be in 3rd over 100 km's an hour. I don't drive like that, but my Dad use to.

Edit: sorry it's worthwhile to see this info in your owner's manual. One of those things I remember.
    Last edited by dspace9; 09-04-2020 at 10:20 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (09-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I had a bad shift from second to third gear a few weeks ago. Didn't engage into 3rd, and my car made a bunch of grinding noise, bunch of loud racket. I don't think I broke my car.
    Sounds like you were accidentally shaving the gear...or it was the syncros grinding to match the higher speed. Not sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also double clutching will help syncros...l know in winter l'll need to downshift correctly and not use my brakes as much bc the road that l take to work is an S curve down and S curve up...l've seen SUV's in the ditch and trucks flipped over (last year) in the ditch....Hey Loren, you said if l abuse my syncros they will last 150,000? Or would it be sooner? Again l'm practicing more with rev-matching and want to be comfortable when winter starts so l don't wear them...advice?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sounds like you were accidentally shaving the gear...or it was the syncros grinding to match the higher speed. Not sure.
    The gears didn't align lol. But I have done the same mistake with my old Rabbit. My thinking to myself is, don't make a habit of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (09-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Does it have a safety measure in place if l don't rev-match my downshifts?[/B] Or something else? Thanks.
    Since Loren's Mirage needed a replacement engine due to a wrong/bad shift, I would assume there are no safety measures in place for over-revving in the wrong gear.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...into-2015-car)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Only time I use the clutch upshifting 1st and reverse. Downshifting never except snow, icy conditions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    Only time I use the clutch upshifting 1st and reverse. Downshifting never except snow, icy conditions.
    When l "punch the clutch" shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it shoots the revs up and feels like a smoother shift than if l slowly release the clutch after shifting. l don't know maybe l'm doing it wrong.