Thread: Did the Mitsubishi dealer BS me?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Did the Mitsubishi dealer BS me?

I had my ECM go bad after only 115k mi on my Mirage SE. The closest dealer is 200 mi away so I had the car towed to the dealer and bought a new ECM from an online seller for $899 and had it mailed to the dealer.
    After 1 day I didn't hear back so I figured they were busy. But after 3 days not getting a call to come get my car for a job that takes 15mi to remount and connect the ECM and 1 hr max to program it, I started to worry.
    So the fourth day I call the dealer and was told they ran into an issue during the programing and were waiting to hear back from Mitsubishi Engineering. Later that day I got a call that my car was ready but the check engine light was still on and will stay on until I get an impact sensor that is bad in the rear passenger side bumper.
    Before my original ECM went bad I had another car back into that area at about 2 to 5 mph and dent the bumper and break the plastic on the passenger side taillight although the light still works perfectly.
    Anyway after this accident my car still ran like new. Everything work on the car, and no check engine light on from some impact sensor on the rear bumper.
    So now my car starts and runs like is should only now the Check engine light stays on and both my cruse control and air conditioning dont work.
    Is the dealer BSing me? I spent about $1500 total shouldnt they be able to get these two important items to work and should a rear bumper sensor prevent an ECM from getting fully programed? Seems fishy to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Netwerkjim View Post
    I had my ECM go bad after only 115k mi on my Mirage SE. The closest dealer is 200 mi away so I had the car towed to the dealer and bought a new ECM from an online seller for $899 and had it mailed to the dealer.
    After 1 day I didn't hear back so I figured they were busy. But after 3 days not getting a call to come get my car for a job that takes 15mi to remount and connect the ECM and 1 hr max to program it, I started to worry.
    So the fourth day I call the dealer and was told they ran into an issue during the programing and were waiting to hear back from Mitsubishi Engineering. Later that day I got a call that my car was ready but the check engine light was still on and will stay on until I get an impact sensor that is bad in the rear passenger side bumper.
    Before my original ECM went bad I had another car back into that area at about 2 to 5 mph and dent the bumper and break the plastic on the passenger side taillight although the light still works perfectly.
    Anyway after this accident my car still ran like new. Everything work on the car, and no check engine light on from some impact sensor on the rear bumper.
    So now my car starts and runs like is should only now the Check engine light stays on and both my cruse control and air conditioning dont work.
    Is the dealer BSing me? I spent about $1500 total shouldnt they be able to get these two important items to work and should a rear bumper sensor prevent an ECM from getting fully programed?
    I'm surprised that dealer went ahead with the job with parts that they did not themselves provide. It is my understanding most shops can't guarantee parts that they didn't provide and thus don't want to get tangled up in a potential mess. Do you suppose they are trying to recover some money they missed out on? And what happened that the ECM failed? I don't hear too many incidents of ECM failure on these cars.

Seems fishy to me.
    Sure does.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I had my ECM go bad after only 115k mi on my Mirage SE.
    What do you mean by "go bad"? I don't think I have heard of an ECM failure on these cars before?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Sounds like they didn't even program it right if the AC and cruise doesnt work? Your out of warranty right? You got a quality independent mechanic you trust? I sure as hell don't trust the Mitsu 2 dealers I've dealt with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You got a quality independent mechanic you trust? I sure as hell don't trust the Mitsu 2 dealers I've dealt with.
    Very few independent shops are capable of programming a Mitsubishi ECU. Doesn't that kind of work require a MUT-III? Those are quite expensive for what they are, for a small segment of the total car market, won't pay for themselves quickly and require updates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Local shop in my area that is known to fix complex items on all makes and models does work on the Mitsu system. You could check whats causing the Check engine light yourself. As for the rear sensor fishy. Equally surprised they accepted your ECM. We have 1 dealer now and I'm not a fan others are hundreds of miles away... If i were you I would first see if any independent has the mitsu system? What is the car worth? Would it be possible to buy another? Dealing with the Mitsu dealer you may spend more then the ACV thats concerning.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't think these cars have impact sensors in the rear bumper... I'll go take a look on the ones we have here again but I'm almost positive there's nothing there. Also, airbag and related components turn on the air bag light, not the check engine light.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-09-2020),MetroMPG (09-09-2020),poorman1 (09-08-2020)

So the fourth day I call the dealer and was told they ran into an issue during the programming and were waiting to hear back from Mitsubishi Engineering. Later that day I got a call that my car was ready but the check engine light was still on and will stay on until I get an impact sensor that is bad in the rear passenger side bumper.
    Is the dealer BSing me? I spent about $1500 total shouldnt they be able to get these two important items to work and should a rear bumper sensor prevent an ECM from getting fully programed? Seems fishy to me.
    Sounds like you've been had. Don't feel bad, people automatically assume the dealer is always right. But they're not.

Why exactly did you need or think you needed a new ecm? Car wouldn't start or??? You never know, you may have needed an ecm but it'd be the first that I've heard of in these cars.

It's highly doubtful that an airbag sensor will trigger a check engine light. In fact I've never seen an airbag fault trigger a cel.
    But it's highly likely a faulty airbag sensor will trigger an..................AIRBAG LIGHT. It's too late now.

If I were you I'd find a private shop that has a scan tool that can do Mitsubishi's. Pretty much any modern automotive shop should, if they don't keep looking and don't take your car there for repairs. Find out what codes are stored in your modules, there are more than one. ECM, Airbag modules, etacs, transmission(cvt), and whatever else is in there. Then go from there. We can't diagnose your car without more info. Get some codes and post back. If your engine light is on there should be a code/codes stored. Or better yet ask the dealer to give you a list of all the codes that are stored. They should have already done that.

Besides, from what I recall there are no external impact sensors on the back of the mirage are there? I know there aren't any under the car and none on the rear bumper rebar/impact bar. There might be some in the tail panel or 1/4 panels? and there are some in the b-pillar(center door post).

I had a dealer tell me one of our Mirages needed a new etacs module costing over $1000. I took the car back and fixed it myself. It was just some corrosion on one connector that caused a ton of problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Netwerkjim - any updates? Sounds like a serious if not expensive problem and that was three days ago. Would be nice to get some more details.

Attachment 19203

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)