Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 550+ km's on one tank of gas (340+ miles)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I agree. The Mirage is not far off from the size of a 1993 Civic hatch, and the G4 isn't far off from an old Corolla sedan's size. Not sure why the girth has gotten to large with cars lately. New Accords are bigger too like you say.

My good friend went from a 2015 to a 2018 Civic (long story) and even there, the new gen Civic with the "edgy" looks - edging towards mid-size sedan.

I haven't found a Mazda Forum, but I am a member of the Venue forum. Actually have learned a few things about the Hyundai Venue that way.
    Since a Venue can be had with a manual transmission, it would have been on my radar if I was vehicle shopping.

The Venue can't compete with the economy of my 2017 Mirage or the 2,500 pounds towing capacity of my 2011 Forester. Plus, I really do need AWD where I live at times. Thus, I am content with what I have.

I am also a bit disappointed with KIA & Hyundai at the moment. They are having some massive engine recalls.

I know someone who had an engine replaced on his 2015 Optima @ 80,000 miles. It was done free of charge, because they know poor manufacturing left shavings in the engine. He was told the replacement engine may have the same issue some day. They have stock piles of 2.0 & 2.4 L engines they are using up. He has a lifetime warranty on the new engine, but that's not reassuring. Plus, the poor sucker who buys his car used may not benefit from that.

Thus, used Hyundai & KIA vehicles would be off my radar. If I had to buy a vehicle and couldn't get it in a manual, I would probably look at Mazda first. I would not buy a Jatco CVT vehicle. Not saying that to offend Mirage owners. Smaller SUVs with a CVT can't tow all that much, & that's one of the reasons I would own one.

I would rather own one manual transmission vehicle, & I like vehicles like the Soul & Venue. They can't do everything I need them to do, however. I still miss my 1st generation Honda CR-V 2.0 L with manual AWD. The manual option was dropped after the 2nd generation, and they grew like most other vehicles these days. Honda's 2.4L engines (also used in the Element & other models) are awesome. I would not be interested in their 1.5L engines with CVT used in today's CR-V. That is why I see myself in a Mazda showroom some day. That my be 10 years from now, however. Things will change a lot by then, too!

Like you I have become content with what I have. I may go 10+ years without a vehicle payment this way, too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (09-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am also a bit disappointed with KIA & Hyundai at the moment. They are having some massive engine recalls.

I know someone who had an engine replaced on his 2015 Optima @ 80,000 miles. It was done free of charge, because they know poor manufacturing left shavings in the engine. He was told the replacement engine may have the same issue some day. They have stock piles of 2.0 & 2.4 L engines they are using up. He has a lifetime warranty on the new engine, but that's not reassuring. Plus, the poor sucker who buys his car used may not benefit from that.

Thus, used Hyundai & KIA vehicles would be off my radar.

l used to recommend Hyundai and KIA to people if they couldn't afford a Honda, Toyota, Subaru...but until they get their engines sorted out, l tell people to spend a little more if they can or get a used Honda or Toyota...unless they really want a KIA/Hyundai, then l tell them about the recalls and possible problems they may have and leave them to make a decision. Hope his new engine works out Mark
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Like you I have become content with what I have. I may go 10+ years without a vehicle payment this way, too.
    That is a pile of money. Imagine that amount for someone who replaces their car every 5 years. You could almost retire on the money. And at the end, at best, you are talking about owning a 5 and a 10 year old car. Not worth it. Cars just generally don't hold any value they cost new. It's a big scam, but I guess everything has to cost something, and they're complicated machinery.

Part of me could justify buying a Mazda3 for a few thoughtful reasons beyond the good looks: 1. The bigger Mazda probably is safer than my Mirage. 2. I'd get another new warranty (but my Mitsubishi warranty is still 20,000 km's away from expiry.. so 7 years is amazing).

I am generally content with my Mirage. Thinking overall, it just sits there mostly anyway. My short-ish commute isn't worth the cost. And my fuel costs impress and impress. Especially when gas is 98 cents a Litre here. Conversion is 3.6 Litres in 1 US gallon. I think.

MirageRally I am going to reply at the same time to you. Mark did bring up a good point about KIA motor's motors. I hadn't heard about it like this before. My sister had a 2012 Optima, and the thing for its time was amazing looking. Not sure why she traded the car in. maybe 1 year later. She should have kept her KIA Spectra (?) 2006 (not the 01 she had ugh) the 2006 looked like a small Alfa, not even kidding. Drove amazing. But no she has had 4 cars since.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

My Mirage impresses year after year.
    Ditto. Best bang for the buck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)