Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 550+ km's on one tank of gas (340+ miles)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

550+ km's on one tank of gas (340+ miles)

My Mirage impresses year after year.

I have been driving my Mirage over 6 and a half years, and even now, I can't believe how good my car is on gas. 45 MPGs all the time. Winter less but still good.

I filled up today for the first time in literally two weeks. That means I got over 550 km's with my last tank, adding my commute and weekly grocery runs.

That means I am spending about $12.25 a week on gas right now. Insurance and car payments not included (and upkeep/maintenance costs, and I dote on my Mirage).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-08-2020),MirageRally (09-06-2020),mitsumi (09-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

I have been driving my Mirage over 6 and a half years, and even now, I can't believe how good my car is on gas. 45 MPGs all the time. Winter less but still good.

I filled up today for the first time in literally two weeks. That means I got over 550 km's with my last tank, adding my commute and weekly grocery runs.

That means I am spending about $12.25 a week on gas right now. Insurance and car payments not included (and upkeep/maintenance costs, and I dote on my Mirage).
    That's awesome Dspace9! lf l really want to l probably could go 2 weeks without fillup...but bc of my "spirited driving" lol...l don't get to 2 weeks...maybe a week and a half Plus rev-match downshifting uses a bit more fuel.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-07-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    That's awesome Dspace9! lf l really want to l probably could go 2 weeks without fillup...but bc of my "spirited driving" lol...l don't get to 2 weeks...maybe a week and a half Plus rev-match downshifting uses a bit more fuel.
    I generally don't go over 100 km's an hour, or over 55 mph (approx). I mostly drive around on rural roads. Just have a lot of families walking around in the middle of the sticks today, plus lots more bicyclists in spandex lately, so you have to watch for that. When I end up giving 'er with my Mirage, is on the freeway the odd time.

I like my space, so I go faster.. to get out of car clumps, and into those free spaces with no cars around me.

But economy suffers when you go fast in the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (09-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

But are you still checking if that base level Mazda 3 manual is still on the dealer lot?????

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-07-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    But are you still checking if that base level Mazda 3 manual is still on the dealer lot?????
    That's funny you say that, Mark. I saw the Mazda back up for sale on Auto Trader yesterday. I swear the ad went down for a few weeks, and is now back up.

My main 2 issues with the Mazda:

1. I am terrible at negotiating price, even for a 2 year old, new car

2. I would be back to square one with 7 more years of car payments.

My Mirage still has the new car smell, it's almost paid for, and I don't drive much anyway. But the Mazda is pretty.
    https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/ma...202S0&sprx=100

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (09-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Red face

plus lots more bicyclists in spandex lately, so you have to watch for that.
    Haha, yeah-l was driving a week ago and saw a very attractive young lady jogging in skin tight spandex...l almost went off the road! l thought "what the heack lady, put something else on that doesn't cause accidents" lol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Haha, yeah-l was driving a week ago and saw a very attractive young lady jogging in skin tight spandex...l almost went off the road! l thought "what the heack lady, put something else on that doesn't cause accidents" lol
    Lol good people are getting out and about more. I actually think my Mirage made me lazier. Before my cars were old and unreliable. So I did a lot more walking and biking. And you do get to admire the scenery more when you're not driving.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (09-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol good people are getting out and about more. I actually think my Mirage made me lazier. Before my cars were old and unreliable. So I did a lot more walking and biking. And you do get to admire the scenery more when you're not driving.
    True, like most of my firends and family members keep bugging me about getting a GF so l could have someone to go on hikes with and go places with...it would be nice...but...l...don't know Dspace9...like l said before, my life has not been the greatest, as well as with making friends and past relationships...they didn't go over well...but...who knows? Maybe l will find someone later on...like you said mental health is really important...and walking is the best exercise to calm me down and enjoy the scenery...Have a Great night Dspace9!Logging Off, going to work on Mirageo
    Last edited by MirageRally; 09-07-2020 at 02:01 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    That's funny you say that, Mark. I saw the Mazda back up for sale on Auto Trader yesterday. I swear the ad went down for a few weeks, and is now back up.

My main 2 issues with the Mazda:

1. I am terrible at negotiating price, even for a 2 year old, new car

2. I would be back to square one with 7 more years of car payments.

My Mirage still has the new car smell, it's almost paid for, and I don't drive much anyway. But the Mazda is pretty.
    https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/ma...202S0&sprx=100
    Mazda3, Civic, & Corolla cars all seem quite big to me these days. It's like they have grown up and became Mazda 6, Accord, & Camry cars. I like them better when they were smaller, but bigger with more power helps sell new models I guess.

The best thing about sticking with your Mirage is this forum.

Actually, driving a vehicle that's paid off always feels good.

Have you checked out if a Mazda3 forum exist?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-07-2020),MetroMPG (09-08-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree. The Mirage is not far off from the size of a 1993 Civic hatch, and the G4 isn't far off from an old Corolla sedan's size. Not sure why the girth has gotten to large with cars lately. New Accords are bigger too like you say.

My good friend went from a 2015 to a 2018 Civic (long story) and even there, the new gen Civic with the "edgy" looks - edging towards mid-size sedan.

I haven't found a Mazda Forum, but I am a member of the Venue forum. Actually have learned a few things about the Hyundai Venue that way.