Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolores suddenly running high idle

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Dolores suddenly running high idle

Wife was out with Dolores engine started to high idle 1500 rpms no engine light she was a mile from home on her way back home car ran fine one hour. Parked it everything visually looks ok unhooked battery restarted ran low idle briefly 500 rpm went back to high idle 1500 rpm shut off going to check more in a couple more hours.And will give update. Do have a scanner will be interesting.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Check to see if the throttle body is dirty.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also check for vacuum leaks.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions will check all of those items shes got around 42k. My first thought not enough air how it was sounding. Was going to do all PM in two weeks anyway guess ill be starting today.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Be careful cleaning the throttle body. Surf around and do some research.

With a drive-by-wire car, weird things can happen if you manually operate the throttle plate. Your idle problem may get worse. I had a drive-by-wire GM car that I treated like an old-school throttle body. I just opened up the throttle plate and sprayed in a bunch of cleaner with the engine off. I got everything clean, but after i did this the car wouldn't idle below 1200 RPMs. The only was to fix it was a dealer idle relearn procedure. Fortunately my car was a manual transmission...and there was a way to force the car into a new idle by slipping the clutch several times.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update car stopped surging and was running normal idle no engine light apoeared however when I plugged in code reader PO11 is in the monitor but did not trigger the engine light. Before pluging in reader checked Throttle body squeaky clean, Vac lines all good. Air filter is new.

So now reading about PO11 took car out the code cleared itself while I was driving. We are now re-inacting this morning.

Oil good, correct amount was going to change end of September anyway.

Going to take car out again and see if anything acts up...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    ...PO11 is in the monitor but did not trigger the engine light...
    P0110?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry P0011 is the code that showed on the monitor but did not trigger the engine light. Took car mixed driving, coasting, restarted cold and hot a few times, no monitor codes, no check engine light and it seems to be operating normal. I do all the PMs and the car gets correct oil changes but I did check for sludge to rule out things. Car is sitting overnight I plan to drive tommorow hoping it was a one day fluke however I'm not convinced. My scanner tool has live feed everything seemed normal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    Sorry P0011 is the code that showed on the monitor but did not trigger the engine light. Took car mixed driving, coasting, restarted cold and hot a few times, no monitor codes, no check engine light and it seems to be operating normal. I do all the PMs and the car gets correct oil changes but I did check for sludge to rule out things. Car is sitting overnight I plan to drive tommorow hoping it was a one day fluke however I'm not convinced. My scanner tool has live feed everything seemed normal.
    You probably don't drive your Mirage that aggressively I'm thinking. Maybe a little "Italian Tune-Up" is in order. These small displacement engines need to be pushed occasionally and with the CVT the engine operates at far lower rpm's than a 5 speed manual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    From the interwebz:

P0011 is the OBD-II generic code indicating the engine control module (ECM) has determined that the bank 1 intake camshaft is more advanced than what the ECM has commanded it be. This over-advanced condition could be during advancing or retarding of the camshaft timing.

Check wiring. The wiring on this car is VERY fragile and mostly very exposed. So, if you've got a flaky wire... that could cause an intermittent condition like this.

Other than that, my first thought is "oil". Be sure that the correct weight of oil is being used. Some shops might skimp and just put generic 5w30 in everything. I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not, but the VVT system is operated by a solenoid that controls an oil valve. So, it could be sensitive to the weight of the oil.

Cam position sensor and its wiring cold be suspect, as well. But, those would most likely throw a code for the sensor.

Simplify and add lightness.