Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USB Charging Ports for Button Blanks - update: fits Mirage blanks perfectly

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This ****in' $15 piece of **** is proving to be the bane of my existence.

Went to redo the wiring on this thing today. For anyone else who may end up getting one of these, the spade terminals on the end of the cables really latch onto the USB charging unit very tightly. Used a pair of pliers to dislodge the connectors, and ended up slamming them into my steering column when the thing finally worked loose. Now it has a nice big, gaping gouge in it. Pull away from the steering column. Away! ****.

Second, do not do a fuse tap into anything other than the accessory port fuse (fuse 2). I moved the fuse tap onto the reverse light fuse (fuse 21?) for the better location, and I now have a check engine light. Code P1590 - TCM communication error. **** me, right? People at the local AutoZone didn't even know how to reset the codes with their scanner. FFS.

Legendarily pissed off right now.

Anyone know how to reset OBD codes without a scan tool? I saw somewhere else on the forum there was a way to do it by turning the car on and off repeatedly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I saw somewhere else on the forum there was a way to do it by turning the car on and off repeatedly
    Not sure what that's all about...but you aren't clearing OBD codes without a tool.

This one on Amazon will do what you need and it's only $23. Yeah...I know...it's not free. But you'll need it again sooner or later. And the next time you have a check engine light, you won't be relying on the "skilled professionals" at AutoZone to figure it out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (10-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Not sure what that's all about...but you aren't clearing OBD codes without a tool.

This one on Amazon will do what you need and it's only $23. Yeah...I know...it's not free. But you'll need it again sooner or later. And the next time you have a check engine light, you won't be relying on the "skilled professionals" at AutoZone to figure it out.
    Yeah, thanks for the pointer. I actually already ordered this one from Amazon. Hopefully it works nicely. It's a bit more expensive, but as you said, I'll probably use it again in the future so might as well get a decent one. I was impressed with the Autel TPMS unit I had got, so I figured I'll just stick with them.

FFS, though. What a mess. This is why I was reluctant to post any pictures/full recommendation on this thing until I had got some mileage on it. You never know when you start messing with the electrical system. The unit must have some feedback going back down the line. The standard accessory circuit probably has protection for that, whereas the reverse light circuit does not.

Really don't want to have to take it back to the dealer with a transmission-related issue after having just now only gotten things working properly with the non-factory-spec wheels and tires.

Poor Piddles...

Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 453
Size:  33.1 KB

Semi-related, but it seems dropping off the steering column cover is fairly straightforward (the service manual seems to list it as "step 2"), so if the scrape I put into it ends up bothering me that much I'll just do a junkyard run and pull a clean one from a crunched up Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Instead of tapping into the fuze box would it somehow be possible to extend the USB cord/connector hidden in the glove box and snake it over to the backside of your device? I know the connections are different but it might help prevent electrical issues.
    Last edited by gone.a; 10-06-2020 at 03:52 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Instead of tapping into the fuze box would it somehow be possible to extend the USB cord/connector hidden in the glove box and snake it over to the backside of your device? I know the connections are different but it might help prevent electrical issues.
    Yeah, there are multiple options that I could take. I'll try messing with it a bit more, but if everything fails then routing cables off existing fixtures seems like the way to go.

BUT! Figured I'd just try and get this working properly and document everything here for future people. Most of the things I've been able to do on my car came from information people have posted here. Was hoping to be able to give back a little.

Also, button blanks bother me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

gone.a (10-06-2020)

Second, do not do a fuse tap into anything other than the accessory port fuse (fuse 2). I moved the fuse tap onto the reverse light fuse (fuse 21?) for the better location, and I now have a check engine light. Code P1590 - TCM communication error.
    Yeah, the Mirage definitely does NOT like having its lightbulb circuits messed with!

Search for what happens when people try swapping in LED bulbs in the tail/brake lights. Computer freak-out.

Live & learn. Thanks for keeping us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Yeah, there are multiple options that I could take. I'll try messing with it a bit more, but if everything fails then routing cables off existing fixtures seems like the way to go.

BUT! Figured I'd just try and get this working properly and document everything here for future people. Most of the things I've been able to do on my car came from information people have posted here. Was hoping to be able to give back a little.

Also, button blanks bother me
    Why don't you use the existing wiring for heated seats that is tucked in the center console under the cup holders? It should be there and you just need to plug in a relay and a fuse and you have 20 amps of power.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (10-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Why don't you use the existing wiring for heated seats that is tucked in the center console under the cup holders? It should be there and you just need to plug in a relay and a fuse and you have 20 amps of power.
    Maybe I am just bad or missing the point of all this, but I just use the power accessory outlet to charge my phone. I have this item here -

https://www.ebay.com/p/1337515340?ii...BoCcxkQAvD_BwE

For those of us that are older, these outlets were used for lighting cigarettes & not much else. I guess I don't understand why someone wouldn't use what's already there to charge a cell phone? A few bucks item takes care of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Why not replace the lighter socket with a USB power converter?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why not replace the lighter socket with a USB power converter?
    Exactly, that's what I don't understand? My cell phone charger has an extra USB outlet & several dual USB outlets are available. I don't see the need for splicing into wires unless really necessary.