Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USB Charging Ports for Button Blanks - update: fits Mirage blanks perfectly

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Exactly, that's what I don't understand? My cell phone charger has an extra USB outlet & several dual USB outlets are available. I don't see the need for splicing into wires unless really necessary.
    Maybe splice into the existing, easily accessible and seldom-used cigarette lighter circuit for a source of 12V but other than that leave other circuits as they are for their intended purpose.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Also, button blanks bother me
    It’s like a blank canvas waiting to be put to use.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just to report back after a couple of months of using this unit:

Other than the warning that this is NOT CAN bus compatible (do not connect to anything other than the accessory circuit!), this unit is working great. It keeps my phone charged on long trips and is much more convenient/foot safe than running a cable from the center console. The built-in red light is a little bright at night (certainly much brighter than the other lights in the cabin), but the rubber cover than is also built into the unit completely cuts it out whenever you aren't using it. The unit does not seem to get hot to the touch as some cheaper ones do, either.

If you are like me and have a phone mount to the left of the steering wheel, I can recommend a 1.5ft USB cable for charging. 1ft ends up being just slightly too short.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-16-2020)