Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USB Charging Ports for Button Blanks - update: fits Mirage blanks perfectly

Country
    United States
    Thanks

USB Charging Ports for Button Blanks - update: fits Mirage blanks perfectly

I usually keep my phone mounted to the left of the steering wheel, and running a cable all the way from the center console, under my feet, and up the side of the door is a bit of an accident waiting to happen.

Has anyone installed a USB charging port in any of the button blanks to the left of the steering wheel? I'm talking something like this.

I'm looking around for some, but our blanks seem to be a weird 32mmx22mm size...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-07-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I usually keep my phone mounted to the left of the steering wheel, and running a cable all the way from the center console, under my feet, and up the side of the door is a bit of an accident waiting to happen.

Has anyone installed a USB charging port in any of the button blanks to the left of the steering wheel? I'm talking something like this.

I'm looking around for some, but our blanks seem to be a weird 32mmx22mm size...
    I don't have a data plan, so my newer LG phone stays fully charged for a week or more. I could probably hypermill my phone for a long time. That wasn't the intent or plan. But the first week I got my free phone upgrade, I noticed wow what great battery longevity.

Best of luck keep us posted on your idea. It's a good one, I could see Mitsubishi stealing your idea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure this would fit...
    US $13.14 22%OFF | Car Quick Charge 3 charging ports charger Dual USB adapter For Mitsubishi Outlander 3 Xpander Mirage Eclipse Cross asx 2018 2019
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM3WgmL
    (blank signature)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (09-28-2020),Top_Fuel (09-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    US $13.14 22%OFF | Car Quick Charge 3 charging ports charger Dual USB adapter For Mitsubishi Outlander 3 Xpander Mirage Eclipse Cross asx 2018 2019
    Oh snap! That's a great find! Even have one with the red/orange lighting!

I'll put in an order and let y'all know how it goes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Just wanted to report back on my findings with this:

This USB charging adapter slots perfectly into the Mirage's button blanks! They are very easy to push out as well - you can just reach your hand up through the fuse box access door and pop them out.

This particular kit came with a fuse tap that let me piggyback off one of the existing sockets in the fuse box. I chose to tap into the 12V accessory socket fuse, as that's where I would have been putting a USB charging adapter if it wasn't so far away from the steering wheel. I think it was fuse "2" on the fuse diagram. Note that the Mirage uses low-profile mini-fuses. The specific kit above came with only mini-fuses (not low profile), so things stuck out a bit more than they would have otherwise after I plugged everything back in.

To actually be able to work on the fuse box at all, you need to drop off the part of the console which is usually covering it. It's really easy as it is only held in place with plastic tabs and 2 screws - both of which are standard Philips head. Can easily pop it off, run your wires and adjust fuses, and then pop it back on.

Be careful when your messing around in there, though. The radio fuse in particular is something to watch out for. It seems to be in this little pastel yellow access plug. I'm not entirely sure what the function of the yellow part is (was dark when I was finally messing with it), but it seems to very easily slide in and out in its position. If you do bump it and slide it out, it seems to disconnect the fuses entirely. I was freaking out for a bit as I slightly bumped it when plugging in the USB charger and thought I shorted out the radio. If any members here know what the heck that thing is even supposed to do (seems very strange being so fragile), I would love to hear it.

Otherwise, everything else was pretty much plug and play - not really much else to say. The red color option is kinda close to the orange lighting already in the Mirage, but is SIGNIFICANTLY brighter. May actually end up being kind of annoying. The plastic cover that is integrated into the adapter does completely cut out the light, though, so there's that.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-28-2020),Top_Fuel (09-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Be careful when your messing around in there, though. The radio fuse in particular is something to watch out for. It seems to be in this little pastel yellow access plug. I'm not entirely sure what the function of the yellow part is (was dark when I was finally messing with it), but it seems to very easily slide in and out in its position. If you do bump it and slide it out, it seems to disconnect the fuses entirely. I was freaking out for a bit as I slightly bumped it when plugging in the USB charger and thought I shorted out the radio. If any members here know what the heck that thing is even supposed to do (seems very strange being so fragile), I would love to hear it.
    The yellow fuse frame is for overseas shipping. It disconnects certain circuits such as the radio in order to avoid depleting the battery charge in transit. Upon arrival, the yellow fuse frame is to be pushed back in which in turn seats its fuses.

The problem is, many times the fuses are not fully seated and work their way loose. This causes the radio to quit working. Check yours again - push it in until it snaps, it shouldn't fall out so easily.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (09-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The yellow fuse frame is for overseas shipping. It disconnects certain circuits such as the radio in order to avoid depleting the battery charge in transit. Upon arrival, the yellow fuse frame is to be pushed back in which in turn seats its fuses.

The problem is, many times the fuses are not fully seated and work their way loose. This causes the radio to quit working. Check yours again - push it in until it snaps, it shouldn't fall out so easily.
    Exactly what Eggman said - the yellow box requires a good shove in. Your yellow box probably wasn't pushed in correctly. I know mine wasn't in correctly, & I had radio issues until I discovered this.

Thanks for the update, PityOnU!

Glad to hear it fit perfectly, because the image of the installed USB ports on their aliexpress page is clearly photoshopped!

Name:  blank-usb.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  33.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just remembered, and figured I would post here just in case anyone is suspicious of the low cost of this adapter:

I was actually able to verify the Qualcomm QuickCharge functionality of this unit using a USB power meter. I was very surprised! I figured there was a 50/50 chance that the manufacturer had just slapped that marking on there for extra sales, because how many of your customers will actually have the equipment/interest to verify the functionality? Well, this guy does!

Hilariously, though, my phone is not QuickCharge enabled (is a OnePlus so uses "warp" charging instead), so my charging speed maxes out at 5V/1.5A with this unit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

gone.a (10-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Can you post a pic of how it looks in your dash?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)