Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1991 Dodge Shadow 5 speed convertible for sale

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anybody want to trade a Mirage for my Shadow? Nobody near me seems to be interested in it, sadly

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Surprising.

Dumb question: isn't there a Dodge Shadow forum or facebook group where you can post about the car for sale to its dedicated fan base?

Surely someone with a soft spot for these cars would see it's an exceptional specimen and hop the next plane to nab it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did do that. It's not a turbo so those people aren't interested.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I did do that. It's not a turbo so those people aren't interested.
    Ever think about adding one? I knew a guy that would convert Omnis and would be faster than Mustang 5.0s with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nah. I actually like that it's not the garbage turbo engine and swapping everything over would ruin the car's purpose.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I actually like that it's not the garbage turbo engine
    What's wrong with the turbo engine?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Chrysler 2.5 turbo? Premium required, loves to blow head gaskets, also enjoys having lower end engine failures of some kind, runs warm, etc. They're best when they're working and if they aren't tampered with they can be okay but once they're screwed with it's a mess... And almost all of them have been messed with. That's why I like my turbo Voyager... 100% not messed with hahaha. Even then it still broke down multiple times.

The simple 2.5L TBI engine on the other hand is a fantastic engine from the time period. After you put a new head gasket on it anyway haha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a good-looking, well cared-for car, not to mention pretty rare with 5-speed/convertible combo. I wouldn't hesitate if I was looking and somewhat closer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    The Chrysler 2.5 turbo? Premium required, loves to blow head gaskets, also enjoys having lower end engine failures of some kind, runs warm, etc. They're best when they're working and if they aren't tampered with they can be okay but once they're screwed with it's a mess... And almost all of them have been messed with. That's why I like my turbo Voyager... 100% not messed with hahaha. Even then it still broke down multiple times.

The simple 2.5L TBI engine on the other hand is a fantastic engine from the time period. After you put a new head gasket on it anyway haha.
    I wouldn't be drawn to an old car with a turbo, because I would expect it to have more engine problems. I would also suspect a turbo engine may have been driven a bit harder over its lifetime. It's speculation on my part, but old engines with a turbo would turn me off. Then again, I am speaking from inexperience. I have never owned a vehicle with a turbo.

I think the 1990's were a turning point for the positive with many vehicles. I never mourned the death of the carburetor on cars (especially small cars).

I was drawn to the simplicity of the Mirage's powertrain. Adding a turbo (like Fiat did with the 500) to the Mirage would have pushed me in another direction. I do like the fact that Honda can get a 130 hp out of a 1.5 L non-turbo engine (like the one used on the Honda Fit). The charm of the Mirage, however, is its 3-cylinder 78 hp engine. It never feels underpowered to me, but I don't haul huge loads with it either.

I hope you find someone to buy your Shadow soon!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Interesting, I was thinking of the 2.2 turbo. Didn't even think about the 2.5 turbo. How did the 2.2 turbo hold up?