Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CVT failures? (It's been a while since we've heard of one)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I recently spoke to the senior technician at the Mitsubishi dealership where I bought my 2019 Mirage from, and he said they have only done one CVT replacement in all the years the Mirage has been on the market in Canada. He said that the Mirage CVT generally doesn't have too many issues when properly maintained and not having the heck driven out of it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spiritorb For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I have, the Mitsu dealership only does a flush, no drain and fill.
    How much did your dealership charge for flush? I went to an AAMCO which I believe only drained and it was $225. I called a Mitsu dealership for price and they said $275 but I didn't ask if it was flush or drain. If it's flush, I wouldn't mind paying the extra $$$.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    How much did your dealership charge for flush? I went to an AAMCO which I believe only drained and it was $225. I called a Mitsu dealership for price and they said $275 but I didn't ask if it was flush or drain. If it's flush, I wouldn't mind paying the extra $$$.
    $250 at the dealership but I'm only using Aamco because the shop near me is excellent and only $200 for drain and fill. They also changed my filter for extra but I can't remember I think total service was around $300.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritorb View Post
    I recently spoke to the senior technician at the Mitsubishi dealership where I bought my 2019 Mirage from, and he said they have only done one CVT replacement in all the years the Mirage has been on the market in Canada. He said that the Mirage CVT generally doesn't have too many issues when properly maintained and not having the heck driven out of it.
    Define driving the heck out of it though I would of asked lol. I go on alot of road trips and do gig work in my 2014 and its held up fine for now. I've cut most of the side hustle gig work out now though as I feel the cvt can't handle years of stress like that although I bet the manual could easily.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritorb View Post
    I recently spoke to the senior technician at the Mitsubishi dealership where I bought my 2019 Mirage from, and he said they have only done one CVT replacement
    Big dealership? What city/town?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Posted about CVT service in another area of forum: Called dealer about CVT service asked year/mileage told drain fill 50-60k they wanted to end conversation asked about cvt filters 90-100k. Asked about CVT failures hand full of 14-15's.

Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    Posted about CVT service in another area of forum: Called dealer about CVT service asked year/mileage told drain fill 50-60k they wanted to end conversation asked about cvt filters 90-100k. Asked about CVT failures hand full of 14-15's.
    follow i not do the words there?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (09-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    Like Fummins, I don't follow that post exactly?

If you are someone who likes throwing money away at new car every couple years, I wouldn't worry about it. The manual doesn't clearly state it really has to be done (which is quite silly by the way).

If you neglect your CVT, it most likely will make it to 100,000 miles (which takes Mitsubishi off the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty hook). This is why I don't trust service manuals totally.

If you really care about your car, would like to keep it a long time, or prove to the next owner that good maintenance was done on it, I would service (change the fluids & filters) on the CVT every 30,000-40,000 miles. If I am not comfortable doing my own service on this, I would seek out an independent shop (maybe one that specializes in transmissions) to do this service for me. I believed Dirk has done something like this, & I would do the same.

If you have a dealership that you trust, I wouldn't rule out using them for CVT service during the warranty period.

The joy of a manual transmission - It doesn't have filters, & it is quite easy to service. You have a drain plug & fill plug (both use the same size wrench). Drain the transmission fluid & reinstall the drain plug/refill until the oil drips from the fill hole & reinstall that plug. I replaced my factory transmission fluid with Redline MTL @ 30,000 miles. Fluid looked good at the time. I plan on changing it every 50,000 miles from now on (30,000/80,000/130,000/etc...).

Sidenote: Steve's cheap plastic car - Steve was pretty religious about having his oil changed every 5,000 miles. Even though the dealership used 5W-30 conventional motor oil for his 50+ free oil changes, his 300,000+ mile engine did quite well. I am not so certain (I could go back & look through his long thread) Steve was as religious about changing his manual transmission fluid. Last we heard, Steve's transmission was the first major issue he is now facing. Sadly it's enough of an issue that he has given up on the car. I am not saying changing his transmission fluid more often would have made a difference, but it's something I am willing to do a bit more frequently.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-21-2020 at 03:38 PM.

I've been doing some maintenance to the highest mileage original cvt Mirage. It's at 367800km/228500miles now. I changed the spark plugs, air filters, few light bulbs, and cvt fluid. Took if for a drive and it runs great, lots of power takes off from a stop way better than my own.
    I didn't start keeping a copy(at my desk) of maintenance records for this car til around 50,000km.
    The first driver of this car was an older guy who took really good care of this car for the 250-300,000km or so before retiring. It's been treated like the town bicycle since then.
    Here's some of the cvt maintenance records I pulled up for this car. I changed the fluid early a few times cause the fluid was looking darker than normal and figured it was on it's way out but nope...
    July 2017-137,000km changed cvt fluid
    April 2018-194,000km changed cvt fluid and cartridge filter
    Dec 2018-247,800km changed cvt fluid
    May 2019-278,900km changed cvt fluid
    Oct 2019-303,400km changed cvt fluid changed both filters
    Sept 2020-367,800km changed cvt fluid

I've notice the way these cvt cars drive varies a lot from car to car. This high mileage one runs great, shifts like you'd expect, accelerates pretty decent. I've driven lots of others with between 150,000 and 250,000kms some drive great and some are just slugs. Like my 2014. Floor it from a stop and it takes a second or two before it decides to giver, then when it does go it's just a bunch of noise and a lot of disappointment. It moves but just seems a little off, hard to tell if it's the engine lacking some horse powers or the cvt not working like it should. They all drive pretty similar in most circumstances, it's just when taking off from a stop or trying to merge is when I notice a big difference.

With that said, I should be replacing the cvt fluid in mine sooner than later as I'm nearing 50,000km/30,000miles. Might do spark plugs too as they are probably 7 years old by now.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-21-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've been doing some maintenance to the highest mileage original cvt Mirage. It's at 367800km/228500miles now. I changed the spark plugs, air filters, few light bulbs, and cvt fluid. Took if for a drive and it runs great, lots of power takes off from a stop way better than my own.
    I didn't start keeping a copy(at my desk) of maintenance records for this car til around 50,000km.
    The first driver of this car was an older guy who took really good care of this car for the 250-300,000km or so before retiring. It's been treated like the town bicycle since then.
    Here's some of the cvt maintenance records I pulled up for this car. I changed the fluid early a few times cause the fluid was looking darker than normal and figured it was on it's way out but nope...
    July 2017-137,000km changed cvt fluid
    April 2018-194,000km changed cvt fluid and cartridge filter
    Dec 2018-247,800km changed cvt fluid
    May 2019-278,900km changed cvt fluid
    Oct 2019-303,400km changed cvt fluid changed both filters
    Sept 2020-367,800km changed cvt fluid

I've notice the way these cvt cars drive varies a lot from car to car. This high mileage one runs great, shifts like you'd expect, accelerates pretty decent. I've driven lots of others with between 150,000 and 250,000kms some drive great and some are just slugs. Like my 2014. Floor it from a stop and it takes a second or two before it decides to giver, then when it does go it's just a bunch of noise and a lot of disappointment. It moves but just seems a little off, hard to tell if it's the engine lacking some horse powers or the cvt not working like it should. They all drive pretty similar in most circumstances, it's just when taking off from a stop or trying to merge is when I notice a big difference.

With that said, I should be replacing the cvt fluid in mine sooner than later as I'm nearing 50,000km/30,000miles. Might do spark plugs too as they are probably 7 years old by now.
    If you get 250k miles out that fleet Mirage, JATCO owes you a tshirt and stock options.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-22-2020)