Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT failures? (It's been a while since we've heard of one)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

CVT failures? (It's been a while since we've heard of one)

First of all: "Hi, Dirk"

Is it just me, or has it been a while since we've gotten a report of a CVT failure? Not trying to jinx anyone, but I'd say it's encouraging. Maybe everyone is changing their fluid regularly?

Last edited by MetroMPG; 09-17-2020 at 08:52 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought my 2018 G4 new in August of 2019. Over the course of the year, I put over 30,000 HARD miles on that car. About 95% of those miles are doing delivery ALL over the Portland and Vancouver metro areas. I'm in city, country, suburbs, you name it. And I'm hard on my car, I redline all the time (lots of hills here and fast highways), use Ds daily and have had zero issues with not only the CVT, but with my car in general. I had my fluid checked at 20,000 miles (ish) and they said it was still good (shop has greats user reviews, so I feel confident with their assessment). While the inside and outside are well used also, and scuffed, dinged and dented-there is nary a squeak or rattle in my car. Yeah, it's not a quiet car, but no out of place annoying noise-save for an intermittent howl when I'm crossing the 205 bridge into WA and I'm going 75-80. I've come to really love the CVT/engine combo in the G4, as well as the effecient use of space in the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-10-2020),inuvik (09-10-2020),MetroMPG (09-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I need to sit down and write out the story of searching for a used Mirage that wasn't garbage. Had several bad cvt's thrown in there for variety. Maybe later tonight...
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    I bought my 2018 G4 new in August of 2019. Over the course of the year, I put over 30,000 HARD miles on that car. About 95% of those miles are doing delivery ALL over the Portland and Vancouver metro areas. I'm in city, country, suburbs, you name it. And I'm hard on my car, I redline all the time (lots of hills here and fast highways), use Ds daily and have had zero issues with not only the CVT, but with my car in general. I had my fluid checked at 20,000 miles (ish) and they said it was still good (shop has greats user reviews, so I feel confident with their assessment). While the inside and outside are well used also, and scuffed, dinged and dented-there is nary a squeak or rattle in my car. Yeah, it's not a quiet car, but no out of place annoying noise-save for an intermittent howl when I'm crossing the 205 bridge into WA and I'm going 75-80. I've come to really love the CVT/engine combo in the G4, as well as the effecient use of space in the car.
    If I owned a CVT, I would change my CVT fluid at 30,000 miles regardless of my driving habits. In your case, I would especially have it done. Just my opinion even though I don't own a CVT vehicle.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-11-2020),Fummins (09-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I owned a CVT, I would change my CVT fluid at 30,000 miles regardless of my driving habits. In your case, I would especially have it done. Just my opinion even though I don't own a CVT vehicle.
    And 'changing' the CVT fluid in the typical manner only replaces a small fraction of the total amount of fluid. It's not a flush and fill with completely new fluid throughout. It's not unlike changing only a quart of the engine oil and leaving the filter in place.

Has anyone here had a complete fluid replacement using one of those transmission fluid exchanger machines?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There isn't a traditional cooler to hook up to for one of those machines to cycle out all the old fluid. I've heard of something existing for nissan models to add an external cooler which would then allow you to use a machine to run though all the fluid but haven't looked too far into it.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    I have the G4 as well. 2017, bought it a year ago with 27,500 miles. Now at 41k, and has done what its supposed to do. Starts every time, sips gas, gets me to work and back 5 days a week. I have the 5 speed, but Im still enjoying the cheap transportation and reliability.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's on the "to do" list with next oil change/tire rotation (btw teh Vredstein Quadtrac's are freakin' amazing). In the past I've been horrible (and VERY lucky) with car maintenance. I figure this is the perfect time (and car) to keep on it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

I haven't seen a failure in a while. The one's that were acting up have been holding in there as far as I know. They're probably waiting to crap out when it's -30. I guess I should go get another one ready to now that you jinxed it
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Off the top of my head, and from reading around, it seems like the majority of issues in these cars come from running them in cold climates (think, below freezing) - which makes sense given they are primarily designed for very hot Eastern Asia markets.

There are always concerns with reliability on non-manual transmissions, but in this case, I'm not too concerned. The combination of the crazy warranty, and the fact that this CVT is the same one used in some Nissan Rogue Sport/Qashqai models (curb weight ~3400lbs), indicates to me that it probably won't be the transmission that ends up totaling this car.

As with anything, I'm sure there are the occasional flukes/lemons, but in the majority of cases, given regular maintenance, I'm sure the CVT will be more than sufficient for a car of this size.