Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CVT failures? (It's been a while since we've heard of one)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    It's on the "to do" list with next oil change/tire rotation (btw teh Vredstein Quadtrac's are freakin' amazing). In the past I've been horrible (and VERY lucky) with car maintenance. I figure this is the perfect time (and car) to keep on it
    Related to what Eggman mentioned. If I owned a CVT, I would have the fluid changed at 30,000 miles. I would also insist the necessary filters are done at the same time. I should clarify what I said. If fluid has filters to go with it, I would have those changed, too. I don't know much about CVT transmissions, but I would insist on seeing my old filters. Two reasons - determine changing them is necessary & proof it was done.

You may need to explore more on other threads. I would know more than the service manager when making the appointment. Sometimes, that's not hard to do. Some service managers are awesome, however!

If a dealer wants to charge you for a manual transmission filter, you are being taken!

I like to hear what others think about the Vredestein Quadtrac tires. They are bit more expensive (approximately $91/tire @ tirerack.com) this year.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Been asked if our car has a cvt. I say yes... Told to get rid of it. Every person who says that knew someone with nissan cvts. Personally I dislike the cvt by far its the weekest link. The family was considering the outlander sport but it cant tow and I'm told its because of the cvt. As for the enviorment yeah people can agrue efficent but trade off is the early grave yards of nissans and the chemicals and dirty filters discarded every 30000 miles.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    And 'changing' the CVT fluid in the typical manner only replaces a small fraction of the total amount of fluid. It's not a flush and fill with completely new fluid throughout. It's not unlike changing only a quart of the engine oil and leaving the filter in place.

Has anyone here had a complete fluid replacement using one of those transmission fluid exchanger machines?
    I have, the Mitsu dealership only does a flush, no drain and fill.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Fummins IMO pretty much laid the law down in terms of how long we can expect to keep an original cvt going. In a nutshell, it was shown with diligent maintenance most of these units can go over 150k miles but your rolling the dice because he had 2, I believe, premature failures out of his fleet of 30 I think? Those aren't bad odds. I also feel like it was implied if you can hit 200k miles, congratulations you've done better than 90% of Nissan owners lol. But after that the CVT doesnt owe you anything. It's a crapshoot but I do trust my Mirage more than a Spark or Versa. If you need this car to last 5 years or more I wouldn't recommend it for uber as I put 30k miles on mine in 6 months and the cvt won't hold up like a Honda or Toyota would. However if you can afford a different car say every 3 years by all means gig work the hell out of it and dump it after 100k miles. I stopped doing Uber on the side and only do instacart because the daily miles was much lower (50 vs 250 miles a day) and less wear and tear. If your commuting to a job these cars are perfect and will last you a decade if your under 10k miles driving a year in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Fummins IMO pretty much laid the law down in terms of how long we can expect to keep an original cvt going. In a nutshell, it was shown with diligent maintenance most of these units can go over 150k miles but your rolling the dice because he had 2, I believe, premature failures out of his fleet of 30 I think? Those aren't bad odds. I also feel like it was implied if you can hit 200k miles, congratulations you've done better than 90% of Nissan owners lol. But after that the CVT doesnt owe you anything. It's a crapshoot but I do trust my Mirage more than a Spark or Versa. If you need this car to last 5 years or more I wouldn't recommend it for uber as I put 30k miles on mine in 6 months and the cvt won't hold up like a Honda or Toyota would. However if you can afford a different car say every 3 years by all means gig work the hell out of it and dump it after 100k miles. I stopped doing Uber on the side and only do instacart because the daily miles was much lower (50 vs 250 miles a day) and less wear and tear. If your commuting to a job these cars are perfect and will last you a decade if your under 10k miles driving a year in my opinion.
    Buy a Mirage and blow the cvt after 3-5 years/100,000-150,000miles and don't have warranty left, toss in a low mileage used one for around $1500. You'd still likely be better off financially than spending more to buy a toyota or honda and they still could have problems too.

In order to do a transmission fluid flush on these cars you need to remove the heat exchanger on the front of the cvt and bolt on an adapter plate with two fittings, and run some hoses to a flush machine.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah the mitsu dealer just does a drain and fill. I just had that done to the blue 2015 I have. I'll be doing it again myself sometime before winter and also changing the cartridge filter to make sure transmission stays happy.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Speaking of which. I guess I should order a cartridge filter and do a drop and fill on mine one day. I've got around 47,000kms now. I guess I could wait until December since I only put on about 1000km a month.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Yeah the mitsu dealer just does a drain and fill. I just had that done to the blue 2015 I have. I'll be doing it again myself sometime before winter and also changing the cartridge filter to make sure transmission stays happy.
    Not my dealer. I asked and said they use their equipment to flush it. Could be different across the board who knows?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Buy a Mirage and blow the cvt after 3-5 years/100,000-150,000miles and don't have warranty left, toss in a low mileage used one for around $1500. You'd still likely be better off financially than spending more to buy a toyota or honda and they still could have problems too.

In order to do a transmission fluid flush on these cars you need to remove the heat exchanger on the front of the cvt and bolt on an adapter plate with two fittings, and run some hoses to a flush machine.
    How hard would it be to find out pre 04/01/14 unicorn cvt used though?

Oh yeah, I already forgot about that. I'll just assume a newer one will fit. They look the same. What could go wrong lol.

Mirage videos: