Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car cranks, won't start. Suspected fuel pump wiring issue. (SOLVED: ground issue)

Attachment 19342Attachment 19343Attachment 19346

Last edited by Fummins; 09-29-2020 at 06:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMirage2015 View Post
    I thought it was an issue with the fuel pump initially because it wasn't running, but I'm guessing the ECU doesn't run that if the coils aren't present so you don't flood your cylinders.
    I recall Rkt Ship had a problem with rough running. Turned out it was a bad wire. But his engine ran, so don't know about the "ECU doesn't run" part. Or I'm probably misunderstanding what you are saying.

He had also replaced his engine.

Massive misfire cylinder 1

What if you tried spraying a little engine starter in the throttle body to see if it's fuel or spark? Not sure if you have any.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for those, I'll check it in a bit. My multimeter is a little broken at the moment, but I'll be getting a new one today or tomorrow. And yeah, unfortunately I don't have any spare coils to swap out at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I recall Rkt Ship had a problem with rough running. Turned out it was a bad wire. But his engine ran, so don't know about the "ECU doesn't run" part. Or I'm probably misunderstanding what you are saying.

He had also replaced his engine.

Massive misfire cylinder 1

What if you tried spraying a little engine starter in the throttle body to see if it's fuel or spark? Not sure if you have any.
    So the engine starts and runs fine when the fuse isn't blown, my issue is more that the coil fuse sometimes blows ~30 seconds after starting the engine and then it doesn't start until I replace that. I'm suspecting a bad coil, but I won't know if it's that or a wiring issue until I get a new multimeter. The reason I mentioned the ECU is because I think it disables the fuel pump entirely if the coil fuse is blown so you don't flood your engine with no spark. The fuel pump voltage issues were a red herring, as far as I can tell.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found the issue. It was a wiring issue caused by me changing my engine, but it was way easier to find and fix than I thought. I never reconnected the right side engine mount ground point. A 6m bolt from home depot later, and the fuse no longer blows. It runs fine without that ground, apparently, but if you try and idle from cold with the heater on full blast, it'll overload the spark plug fuse somehow. I don't know the exact mechanism behind it, but I felt like a moron when I noticed the ground wire tucked behind the distributor instead of, you know, grounding the engine mount like it was supposed to. I haven't had the fuse blow since reconnecting that ground.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RavenMirage2015 For This Useful Post:

daleWV (10-15-2020),MetroMPG (10-15-2020),MirageRally (10-15-2020),Top_Fuel (10-15-2020)

Glad you finally got it sorted out.

Thanks for updating the thread!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)