Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The horrible story of attempting to find a decent used Mitsubishi Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Just chiming in to say:

1) I read this whole thing.

2) I've never gone to that kind of trouble to get the kind of car I want. Although I once drove 4.5 hours each way to look at a Pontiac Firefly (Canadian market Geo Metro clone). I told the guy I'd give him $100 if he agreed not to sell the car before I got to check it out, even if I didn't buy it. (I bought it.)
    I've known a few people who have bought one-way plane tickets, flown to the vehicle's destination, & drove their newly purchased vehicle home.

In all honesty, I would do something like that if the deal was right. I would rather go that route on purchasing a used vehicle. I would be a bit more leery of having a used car delivered to my home without seeing it in person first.

I bought a new Mirage without seeing it first, but I feel that's different. If WB didn't delivered what was promised, they would have been taking the car back to the dealership. They were taking the risk, not me!

Last edited by Mark; 09-15-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've known a few people who have bought one-way plane tickets, flown to the vehicle's destination, & drove their newly purchased vehicle home.

In all honesty, I would do something like that if the deal was right. I would rather go that route on purchasing a used vehicle. I would be a bit more leery of having a used car delivered to my home without seeing it in person first.

I bought a new Mirage without seeing it first, but I feel that's different. If WB didn't delivered what was promised, they would have been taking the car back to the dealership. They were taking the risk, not me!
    I didn't fly but I did drive 10 hrs to pick up my Outlander Sport and drove it the 450 miles home in one day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I didn't fly but I did drive 10 hrs to pick up my Outlander Sport and drove it the 450 miles home in one day.
    If my memory serves me right, you got a heck of deal on a 5-speed manual that was going to be discontinued in 2020?

In my mind, spending a day to save thousands on a vehicle is worth it. Especially when all the negotiations are already out of the way. If the OTD price makes you happy & it the exact vehicle you want, it makes sense to go get it.

A used vehicle may add a little more risk, because you can't smell the inside of used vehicle on line or a pic may not show a leaky whatever.

A highly discounted Mirage made me give up on slightly used vehicles. A slightly used Fit or Yaris (4-door) would have cost me more than a new Mirage, & I wouldn't have been any happier.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    If my memory serves me right, you got a heck of deal on a 5-speed manual that was going to be discontinued in 2020?

In my mind, spending a day to save thousands on a vehicle is worth it. Especially when all the negotiations are already out of the way. If the OTD price makes you happy & it the exact vehicle you want, it makes sense to go get it.

A used vehicle may add a little more risk, because you can't smell the inside of used vehicle on line or a pic may not show a leaky whatever.

A highly discounted Mirage made me give up on slightly used vehicles. A slightly used Fit or Yaris (4-door) would have cost me more than a new Mirage, & I wouldn't have been any happier.
    Yes, my out the door price for my brand new 2019 Outlander Sport was: $15,898.00 and that isn't a typo. I probably would have flown if I needed to. But definitely time well spent in my book. One day of my time and I literally saved thousands.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

I have done this three times in the last three years. We bought a '92 Pajero and '91 Pajero (separate occasions) in Texas and drove them back to Oregon. I wrote a bit about the first trip and the second trip on CrankshaftCulture.com. I also bought a '94 Delica Space Gear in Florida in May and drove it back from Oregon. My wife even wrote about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/b...road-trip.html

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've flown to pick up cars before. Twice it was okay, once it was a disaster lol. Needless to say, unless it's a brand new car from a dealer with a warranty and all that, I'm not doing the fly in and drive it home thing again.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...