Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ACME projector retrofit

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Is there a benefit to these projectors vs some good quality LED bulbs?
    That's a good question.

Headlights serve two puproses - to see and to be seen. They not only help the driver see the road ahead but the lit up headlight bucket helps others to see the vehicle on the road. Projector lamps reduce the space inside the headlight bucket that is illuminated and directs it towards the road. It may help illuminate the road ahead better but it makes it harder for others to see the car especially at night.

Local public transit buses have projector headlights and they are remarkably hard to see at night for such a large vehicle. They are quite the risk for pedestrians. Pedestrians have been hit and killed by these buses so the transit authority has installed annoying audible spoken warnings on the bus. Amazing...

Seems like a very expensive downgrade, especially for such a small car.

Last edited by Eggman; 11-27-2020 at 12:01 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The "projector" is supposed to take the light, throw it farther and make it clearer... I have LED bulbs in my car right now... And even at night I still have dead spots where the beam isn't as focused. I drove my friend's Lexus who has projector headlight bulbs with HID and they seem vastly Superior to mine... Plus it also depends on what type of projector and what type of HID bulb you get...
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    I drove my friend's Lexus who has projector headlight bulbs with HID and they seem vastly Superior to mine...
    Are those Lexus projector headlights OEM designed for the vehicle or are they aftermarket bulbs? Wouldn't an OEM design be expected to perform better?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The mirage GT trim comes with HID projector headlights. Would benefit us all if we could get a couple shots of those in action at night.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sipperofgas For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's a good question.

Local public transit buses have projector headlights and they are remarkably hard to see at night for such a large vehicle. They are quite the risk for pedestrians. Pedestrians have been hit and killed by these buses so the transit authority has installed annoying audible spoken warnings on the bus. Amazing...
    Wtf? What do the buses say, "Hey dumbass stop staring at your damn phone and pay attention or I'll run you down like those whack jobs who rent u-haul trucks then mow people down then claim they have a mental illness??
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I might be buying those in the future so I'll let you know... Yeah Eggman, wouldn't the GT projector headlights do better than any of the projector aftermarket?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Is there a benefit to these projectors vs some good quality LED bulbs?
    LED bulbs in a halogen housing ? These projectors are designed around the bulb they're using. So a projector designed around an LED bulb will focus the light out in a controlled way. Check out the third kit on this page for examples link .
    Last edited by Sipperofgas; 11-27-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wtf? What do the buses say, "Hey dumbass stop staring at your damn phone and pay attention or I'll run you down like those whack jobs who rent u-haul trucks then mow people down then claim they have a mental illness??
    Um, not exactly but I don't understand what you're getting at - or why.

Figured someone would question this so I'll try to find some news about it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-27-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sipperofgas View Post
    LED bulbs in a halogen housing ? These projectors are designed around the bulb they're using. So a projector designed around an LED bulb will focus the light out in a controlled way. Check out the third kit on this page for examples link .
    at that point I would probably just buy the GT headlights instead of trying to retrofit my own... Since the GT headlights are specifically OEM designed for the right lighting. Plus tearing apart my own headlights VS buying a pair of completed headlights? Completed headlights for me.