Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ACME projector retrofit

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

ACME projector retrofit

Anyone try it ? I've purchased two retrofit kits from The Retrofit Source. One was the morimoto mini, and the other a clearance kit. The first was great installed it in an 99' bmw 323i. The clearance kit is on my Xterra and it needs fixing. The shield that goes up and down to offer the bi-xenon function gets stuck. This ACME kit seems new and is budget friendly. $156 for what I optioned. LINK

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    I've done the ACME projectors on my wife's 05 tC, and they are decent, but my Mirage has Mini D2S 5.0 and it blows the Mini H1 away. I've never posted pictures here, so idk how to show you how they look lol

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    Name:  20200524_224310.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  99.6 KB
    Generic Mini H1 vs Mini D2S with Panamera 2.0 shrouds
    Name:  20200524_181307.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  102.6 KB
    Another comparison without the lens
    Name:  20200603_004154.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  83.2 KB
    Didn't realize I don't have completed pictures, and the lenses need a buff, so will post that as soon as they're cleaned up.
    Name:  20200609_010827.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  90.9 KB
    Name:  20200609_002443.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  91.0 KB

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blitzcb7 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-28-2020),inuvik (10-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That looks great ! Did you consider the fx-r stage 3 ? maybe too big for our halogen housing ?

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sipperofgas View Post
    That looks great ! Did you consider the fx-r stage 3 ? maybe too big for our halogen housing ?
    Our housings should have more than enough room for the FX-R projector, but I've never done a nut and bolt method of install, so I went with the easier install using the Morimoto and their their threaded shaft install. Still had to use the dremel to trim some plastic away, but very minor work.

If you're considering the FX-R, there's a template that can make the install much easier. Unfortunately I didn't know about it until after my install.

https://custom-brackets-designs.mysh...31827943817293

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blitzcb7 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Having looked at a couple FX-R installs, i think it's too much work. I'm going to get the D2S with the Black Friday discount (20%). Did you go with a 35w or 55w kit ? 55w looks good but the extra heat in our housing is something to think about.

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    Having looked at a couple FX-R installs, i think it's too much work. I'm going to get the D2S with the Black Friday discount (20%). Did you go with a 35w or 55w kit ? 55w looks good but the extra heat in our housing is something to think about.
    You can use the 55w kit, but the projector bowl is what starts to deteriorate after some time. Also, keep in mind that the 55w ballast makes the bulb look warmer if it's not a 55w rated bulb. My setup is a 35w and a 4300K bulb, and that works just fine for me.
    If you want that hint of blue, 5k-5500k works, but you lose a little bit of output due to the darker light.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ended up getting the mini H1 8.0 kit. Came out to around $290 with some extras during the Black Friday sale. The new hi/lo solenoid on the 8.0 is pretty sweet. Looks like they've eliminated the stuck solenoid problem for good. I don't know if it's still available but I saw the Osram night breaker d2s bulbs on closeout for a huge discount. I'll try to post up some pics of the install.

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    Ended up getting the mini H1 8.0 kit. Came out to around $290 with some extras during the Black Friday sale. The new hi/lo solenoid on the 8.0 is pretty sweet. Looks like they've eliminated the stuck solenoid problem for good. I don't know if it's still available but I saw the Osram night breaker d2s bulbs on closeout for a huge discount. I'll try to post up some pics of the install.
    I'm glad to hear that! I ended up getting a Mini D2S kit for my wife's TV as well, so I'll be doing another retrofit as well lol. My generic mini H1 kit didn't need any cutting, so hopefully it's the same in your case with the 8.0s. Don't forget to align your projector cutoff line before installing the lens back on, and I'd recommend something to keep it in place after you're done like JB Weld so it stays in place.

I was planning on doing a write up, but end up getting too ahead of myself and just get to work. 😅
    Can't wait to see how your 8.0s turn out! I may get some for another project in the future.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is there a benefit to these projectors vs some good quality LED bulbs?