Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ACME projector retrofit

Country
    Mexico
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sipperofgas View Post
    LED bulbs in a halogen housing ? These projectors are designed around the bulb they're using. So a projector designed around an LED bulb will focus the light out in a controlled way. Check out the third kit on this page for examples link .
    I considered getting that kit when I got my Mini D2S, but I still don't feel comfortable doing a bit and bolt method of install. They do look bad ass though!

And idk what happened on my last post guys, my bad lol

Country
    Mexico
    Thanks
    I came back to add a post, and somehow deleted my earlier reply. 🤦*♂️

I read the article you posted, but I don't see any references to headlights being the problem for the incidents. It looks like one of them was not paying attention because they were on their cell phone while driving the bus. Unless I missed something in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    at that point I would probably just buy the GT headlights instead of trying to retrofit my own... Since the GT headlights are specifically OEM designed for the right lighting. Plus tearing apart my own headlights VS buying a pair of completed headlights? Completed headlights for me.
    Projectors will perform differently depending on how they are manufactured, and I have no experience with Mirage OEM HID headlights, but it made more sense to me financially to build my own set. The Mini D2S kit comes in at $315 I believe, compared to an average of $250 per headlight if you go with OEM. On top of that, I liked that I could customize mine and went with the Porsche Panamera style shroud which has the DRL and switchback turn signals. The Lexus RX350 projector is regarded as the best performing bi-xenon available, but it is also a more complicated install to perform. If you want ease of installation, definitely pick up the OEM headlights with HID projectors, but keep in mind that Mirages with OEM halogen bulbs may not have the lower gauge wiring that is typically used with a factory HID setup.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blitzcb7 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds good, that's another problem is the wiring... I'm guessing it's not plug and play with the OEM GT headlights? I made a thread about my LED lights at night and they work extremely well https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...gnals-at-night... But if I need more lighting I will most certainly get the GT HID headlights and try them out I can tear any bolt and put anything back together mechanically, but tearing apart headlights, tail lights and other things that are glued... Uh-yeah, not my specialty lol.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've only baked headlights in the oven once, when i did the ACME kit on my Xterra. It seems intimidating but it really does soften up the glue to the point where you can pry them apart. I've only ever done mini H1 kits (this will be my third) and the shaft on that projector is small enough where you don't have to cut anything.

Mitsubishi did offer a great HID projector in the Lancer Evolution. Imagine if they used the same one on the Mirage GT.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sipperofgas For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for explaining the reasons for wanting a projector light. Seems like an interesting project and I hope everything goes to your liking.

Just to correct some misconceptions in this thread, though: modern LED replacements for the halogen bulbs in the reflector housings work just fine. I believe they are in the middle of finalizing some standards here in the USA, making them government certified and fully legal pretty soon here.

I think a lot of the negative experiences come from people who have bought $25 China specials off of Amazon. With the LED's, though, it's a case of "you get what you pay for." Spend about $125 on a reputable make (which seems the going rate for decent ones right now), and you'll have a much better time. I have no complaints on mine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I finally got around to starting this project. Took the plastic retainers off both inner fenders. Removed 6 10mm bolts (2 below grill). Pulled the top of the bumper off it's plastic clips. 3 bolts per headlight. Got all 2 vents, 5 philips, and bulbs off the one headlight and i'm about to bake it at 250 for 5 minutes. Here we go !

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sipperofgas For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-05-2021),MirageRally (01-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One headlight done. With the h4 adaptor plate there doesn't seem to be a way to aim the projector up or down. You can just rotate it a bit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sipperofgas For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (01-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can see that the mini gatling shroud doesn't fully cover the rear parts (rubber grommet and rear of projector are showing). You have to get full size shrouds to cover that I guess. I live in a heavy forest area so most of the roads don't have road light fixtures. You turn your headlights off and it's pitch black. This is a huge improvement over the halogens. I'm really surprised by the high beams, very nice output. I thought the low beam side illumination would be better, but I have missaimed the right projector (it's like 5-10 degrees off (left side goes higher than right by about 20 degrees). Still much better than halogen output. But I think if you're going for more width output than the H1 8.0 isn't top dog. However middle output and highbeam it's up there. Maybe after i re-aim the right projector it'll be noticeably better. Total difficulty 4/10. The hardest thing i'd say is knowing when to use less force on the little screws. Taking the top and mid part of the bumper cover off is very easy. Took me about a day to do taking my sweet time. Knowing what I know now I could do it in 2-3 hours.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    look alrightName:  ss_LI.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  80.8 KB