Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ACME projector retrofit

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Allow me to recommend adding foglights to your car. It's a very cheap and easy mod (wiring harnesses already in place, easy to get the parts, nothing needed other than the brackets themselves, etc.). I have them myself and, after getting them, I will never go back. They provide so much wide, near vehicle coverage.

Saying this because you said you live in an area where it's pitch black in a lot of places you drive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Allow me to recommend adding foglights to your car. It's a very cheap and easy mod (wiring harnesses already in place, easy to get the parts, nothing needed other than the brackets themselves, etc.). I have them myself and, after getting them, I will never go back. They provide so much wide, near vehicle coverage.

Saying this because you said you live in an area where it's pitch black in a lot of places you drive.
    Interesting. I don't see any useful benefit to the factory foglights. Every time I use them they only illuminate maybe three yards ahead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Interesting. I don't see any useful benefit to the factory foglights. Every time I use them they only illuminate maybe three yards ahead.
    That's the point with foglights. They are bright and low beamed, to make sure that others can see you. The fog would return all highbeam light to you, make you see even less.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Should anyone be driving if the fog is that bad? Anyway foglights are overblown. Three yards ain’t cutting it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Should anyone be driving if the fog is that bad? Anyway foglights are overblown. Three yards ain’t cutting it.
    The way I've come to think of it is in terms of distance from the car: fogs are near, low beams are medium, and high beams are far. Where you want the light depends on what speed you are going - the faster, the farther.

As you say, Eggman, the fogs will only illuminate maybe up to 10ft in front of the car. However, they are "floods" more than "beams," so they illuminate the sides of the road significantly more because of that. The result is that if you are in an area that is pitch black otherwise, your field of vision is significantly improved.

I'm not sure how well or poorly the factory halogens worked in the fog lights - I immediately swapped them out for LED's, which may or may not be brighter than stock. But, as I said, now that I have them, the improvement is so significant I would never go back. And compared to many other mods you could do, it is a very cheap upgrade.

I don't have much use for the fog lights on mine. Factory bulbs sucked! The cheap chinese led bulbs I have are brighter than the stock halogens but still they only shine a short distance. I don't need to see whats in the ditch as I'm passing it. They are handy for lighting up potholes that I don't manage to avoid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't agree at I find fog lights to be one of the best things ever. That extra wide light at ground level is absolutely fantastic when you're out in the country with little to no visibility.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This is just before night time. I should really take a picture in some of the pitch black areas I drive through.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mirage original equipment fog lights are enabled only when the headlights are on. If foglights are more effective than headlights in foggy conditions, why wouldn’t the manufacturer allow operation independent of the headlights?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mirage original equipment fog lights are enabled only when the headlights are on. If foglights are more effective than headlights in foggy conditions, why wouldn’t the manufacturer allow operation independent of the headlights?
    Here lets make this as simple as possible. 4 lights turned on in a room is brighter than 2 lights turned on in a room.