Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Control Arms, Cross Members - Watch for Corrision

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Control Arms, Cross Members - Watch for Corrision

Discussed in the past now recall on the Outlander, Lancer, and Outlander Sport.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...sion-problems/

Every oil change inspect control arms, cross members, and subframe. I remove rust, prime, and paint. Think the metal or coating is inferior we purchased Dolores in October 2016 with 6 miles and the control arms and cross members were already full of surface rust. When Dolores was picked she was just delivered to the dealer.

Will this become a safety issue on the Mirage? Time will tell. If you DIY or good mechanic ask them to inspect bi-annual. If you DIY check the top of the subframe it will remain moist and hold gunk on occasion.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The oil spray method is the one I use, seems to work. Take a look at this snippet from MotoringTV from 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Ar...l0DMB2&index=3

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

2of9 (09-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did an oil change about maybe 2 weeks ago and I remember just looking at it. Didn't really take a good look into but it there was some surface rust from what I remember. I'll have to take a look again right before winter. It'll be the 4th year (this year) that it's been driven through winter and super salted roads. I do wash it about once every other week or whenever I feel like it's just really dirty.

I did bring my 2011 Outlander Sport to have them inspect it. It passed the inspection and they just coated the the cross member. I do wash the cars fairly often during the winter. The 'automatic' car washes at the gas stations does little to nothing from my experiences.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

The Mirage front subframe assembly is a disaster waiting to happen. Safety issue? I'd bet money on it.

Geo Metro owners past & present: think about the killer front control arm mount rust issue. At least this part can be removed and a replacement part bolted on when the wheels threaten to fall off.

Thread: This is where your Mirage is going to rust out. (Body/chassis corrosion)

The surface rust on the outside is just a distraction. It's going to rust away from the inside out (or on top) due to the openings that permit grit, salt & water into the assembly - moisture traps.

Sanding & painting the outside is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Like dspace says, you gotta spray a rust inhibitor inside the cavity. Put it on your maintenance schedule.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

I don't have any experience trying to stop or make rust vanish. I'd assume you'll have a hard time stopping it once it starts inside the frame rails where you can't see it. And if it's never been sprayed since new there isn't much point trying now unless it's been parked every winter?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Krown/oil will stop/slow down rust even in an enclosed area - anything that makes a barrier to air & water/salt. I'd say it's worth doing even on older cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The Mirage front subframe assembly is a disaster waiting to happen. Safety issue? I'd bet money on it.

Geo Metro owners past & present: think about the killer front control arm mount rust issue. At least this part can be removed and a replacement part bolted on when the wheels threaten to fall off.
    [/B]

The surface rust on the outside is just a distraction. It's going to rust away from the inside out (or on top) due to the openings that permit grit, salt & water into the assembly - moisture traps.

Sanding & painting the outside is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Like dspace says, you gotta spray a rust inhibitor inside the cavity. Put it on your maintenance schedule.
    Oh God, there is such a thing called the "the killer front control arm mount rust issue" ?!

I sound like the guy who claps his hands when he sees another Mirage about this point... but I am glad I Krowned my Mirage every year. I should have done it the first year, but I thought they did something at the Mitsu store. Not the spring after. I took action and have for 6 years since.

Not just my Mirage, but whatever car is next. Also makes a new car purchase a little easier pill to swallow if you can make the new car look last for decades.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Thread: This is where your Mirage is going to rust out. (Body/chassis corrosion)
    I don't normally worry about rust protection. I would leave that concern with the next owner. It's pics like Darin has shared here that inspired me to have an oil treatment done on my Mirage this summer.

I may trade my 2011 Subaru Forester in for something else some day, but I would really like to keep my Mirage for 15+ years (Lord willing). Not having a Krown Rustproofing option nearby, I explored what I thought may be a good alternative in my part of the world.

https://madisonautorustproofing.com/rustproofing

I went with a company that had good reviews in the Madison area. $335 for rustproofing a car seemed a bit costly to me at first, but I felt better about that after it was explained to me in more detail. I can really tell my Mirage's underside was really treated, & it smelt pretty strong the first few days. They spent about 3 hours on my car. I believe a larger vehicle is more like 4 hours. I was assured annual inspections (touch ups) would be in the $20-80 range. If interested, they offer an affordable warranty for $60. I passed on the warranty. The warranty covers -

"We're so confident in NHOU ( NH Oil UndercoatingŪ ) that if you continue to bring in your vehicle for inspections, we'll pay for corrosion related repair or replacements of body panels below the window line, floor, and rocker panels."

This may not cover parts like Darin shared, but my hope is that these oil treatments will extend the life of those parts. That's the point of doing all this!

I didn't sense my Mirage being 3 years old already as being an issue. I asked, & I was told the car didn't look that bad before they started the oil application. I may have the annual inspection done every other year. It will depend on how busy I am.

If this keeps my Mirage looking good for a few more extra years, I feel it will be worth it. I don't have car payments. Thus, putting a little money into the car for something like this is not a big deal to me. Otherwise, I feel the 5-speed manual powertrain of a Mirage may out live the body of the car.

I don't see the Mirage ever changing to something that I would like more down the road. If I could buy a new 1st generation Honda CR-V AWD manual, I would be all over that. If Ford offered the old style 1988-1993 Festiva for a really low price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car like that. I liked those vehicles, and their replacements don't inspire me as much. I am bit weird that way. Actually, the Festiva replacement was the Aspire! The CR-V has grown to a vehicle that doesn't interest me. I liked the first generation, & I could live with the second one. Beyond that, I lost interest.

The joy of the auto industry is nothing really trips my trigger at the moment. I have zero desire to replace what I have any time soon, & money stays in my pocket!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't normally worry about rust protection. I would leave that concern with the next owner. It's pics like Darin has shared here that inspired me to have an oil treatment done on my Mirage this summer.

I may trade my 2011 Subaru Forester in for something else some day, but I would really like to keep my Mirage for 15+ years (Lord willing). Not having a Krown Rustproofing option nearby, I explored what I thought may be a good alternative in my part of the world.

https://madisonautorustproofing.com/rustproofing
    I took a look at that place Mark. Looks pretty legitimate. But that does sound expensive. Maybe where you live Mark, oil spray of this sort is rare. So it's a seller's market. Krown charges me $129.99 for 1 application. And they give me a CAA member discount. With your guys, make sure they are spraying inside the doors. They drill a few access holes, and then after add little rubber caps for the next time. This saves the hatchback door from rust starting inside and then out.

I think even one application can make a difference for the rest of the life of the car. I can see how this stuff keeps electrical in better shape too.

Not driving your beloved car in the winter also saves your dear car from rusting out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I took a look at that place Mark. Looks pretty legitimate. But that does sound expensive. Maybe where you live Mark, oil spray of this sort is rare. So it's a seller's market. Krown charges me $129.99 for 1 application. And they give me a CAA member discount. With your guys, make sure they are spraying inside the doors. They drill a few access holes, and then after add little rubber caps for the next time. This saves the hatchback door from rust starting inside and then out.

I think even one application can make a difference for the rest of the life of the car. I can see how this stuff keeps electrical in better shape too.

Not driving your beloved car in the winter also saves your dear car from rusting out.
    $130 Canadian is $98.50 USD, which is very affordable & well worth it. I would have done Krown rustproofing, but nearest location is approximately 6.5 hours & 390 miles (290 miles if you ferry across Lake Michigan). 13 hours round trip for rust proofing is not going to happen.

I could have explored companies like Ziebart rustproofing more, but this is what I decided to try. 10+ years from now I will tell you what I think about it!!!