Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Control Arms, Cross Members - Watch for Corrision

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm not worried about our fleet cars, they'll have 6-700,000km on them by the time they are rusted out.
    Those Mirages' are in amazing shape, you can tell they're from out West, not Ontario or other rust belts. Everyone says buy used cars from Alberta. Half the time I think they just are saying that to upsell their car.

My Mirage is in good shape relatively compared to lots of the rust buckets out there that you see. But not like the cars out west.

Here you see used cars that are like an Iceberg, you see a little bitsy amount of surface rust, but that just pales to what is going on with rust underneath. Like a zombie car phenomenon.

My local NAPA car is a rusted out Chevy Aveo, and their employee has an olive green Audi TT and that thing is rusted out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm sold on oil-based rustproofing. If they can fog it into body cavities, frame rails, etc...you can't go wrong. I wouldn't even consider Ziebart for rustproofing at this point. I might use them for bedliner or something.

So here's my car...I haven't washed it for months for some reason. Anyway...you can see where the Krown is leeching out of the panels. I think I had it sprayed almost a year ago.

Attachment 19253

Here you can see it coming out from behind the side marker...

Attachment 19254
    Does it always leach out and look like that?? Or is it because you haven't washed it in a While?

You won't see that kind of seepage if you wash every once in a while. My dad's car looks about the same but it hasn't been washed for a couple of months.

It seeps more in hot weather than cool, and it's a very light oil- easy to clean up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You won't see that kind of seepage if you wash every once in a while. My dad's car looks about the same but it hasn't been washed for a couple of months.

It seeps more in hot weather than cool, and it's a very light oil- easy to clean up.
    Thats good, because I just made an appointment for Krown treatment today, lol!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Had a look at my cross member and even though I’ve had Krown done every year since 2015, there still is a bit of surface rust in spots, probably from the year it sat on the dealers lot? Not sure.

Rear suspension looks pristine-ish however (Apologies for crappy pics)

Name:  CE48D70C-A0AD-4608-9AC1-83E80DD3C3D6.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  96.6 KB
    Name:  7D9CEE9A-3328-4E6C-83B3-9AED41F04F13.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  96.6 KB
    Name:  B5DB4BBE-EC75-4028-92E2-569C4F2373D4.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  94.4 KB

TLDR: if you live in a place where they use road salt, the cross member is going to rust out like a tin can in the ocean.

Can't wait for the recall on this one in a few years
    Last edited by javensbukan; 09-18-2020 at 03:18 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javensbukan For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-18-2020),MetroMPG (09-18-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Talking

Thank you for that maritimes-ism. I heard it in my head with a proper accent.
    *bows*