Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoyed: "Only" 48 mpg today

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Annoyed: "Only" 48 mpg today

Took the Mirage out to run some errands today. First stop was at a friend's house to pick up some stuff, about a 45-minute drive. Mostly back roads, lots of 45 mph cruising. I wasn't "hard" hypermiling, just kinda chilling. Saw about 49 mpg on the trip there, and it dipped down to about 47.5 getting past his gate security and through his neighborhood. Not bad.

Of course, this inspired me to try to get 55 or so on the way home. So, I reset and started trying. But, getting out of his neighborhood requires driving on a 6-lane road where the speed limit is 55, traffic flow is 65... and I needed to get all the way into the left lane to make a left turn. That set me back to 45 mpg right from the start, and I was chasing my tail for the rest of the trip.

Traffic didn't get any better, and I kept getting bit by momentum-killing traffic lights (unfortunate timing, no time to coast). By the time I got to the grocery store, I was up to 49 again. Lost a bit in the parking lot, and by the time I got home, I was around 48.

Only a hypermiler in a Mirage would complain about getting 48 mpg running around town. But, here we are!

Still, I find the car impressive. Great MPG, and fun to scoot around in. I keep threatening to sell it, but part of me just wants to keep it.

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-17-2020),Top_Fuel (09-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Took the Mirage out to run some errands today. First stop was at a friend's house to pick up some stuff, about a 45-minute drive. Mostly back roads, lots of 45 mph cruising. I wasn't "hard" hypermiling, just kinda chilling. Saw about 49 mpg on the trip there, and it dipped down to about 47.5 getting past his gate security and through his neighborhood. Not bad.

Of course, this inspired me to try to get 55 or so on the way home. So, I reset and started trying. But, getting out of his neighborhood requires driving on a 6-lane road where the speed limit is 55, traffic flow is 65... and I needed to get all the way into the left lane to make a left turn. That set me back to 45 mpg right from the start, and I was chasing my tail for the rest of the trip.

Traffic didn't get any better, and I kept getting bit by momentum-killing traffic lights (unfortunate timing, no time to coast). By the time I got to the grocery store, I was up to 49 again. Lost a bit in the parking lot, and by the time I got home, I was around 48.

Only a hypermiler in a Mirage would complain about getting 48 mpg running around town. But, here we are!

Still, I find the car impressive. Great MPG, and fun to scoot around in. I keep threatening to sell it, but part of me just wants to keep it.
    From competitive racing to competitive hypermiling - the Mirage can do it all!

Truth!

I'm currently driving the beater 1990 Miata exclusively. Unlike the Mirage, I struggled to get 50 MPG in sub/urban driving today, throwing every trick in the book at it.

But there's nothing like a convertible to savour waning summer weather.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    LOL, you guys are funny

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsray For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (09-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Only 48mpg? Lol, l get 45 driving Eco and 39mpg driving the pants off my car...l may make a video of my agressive driving habits.....Just cause....We'll see l love shifting at 5k rpm. The 3cyl had a nice unique sounds to it haha. They don't call me "Rally" for nothing....(even though l don't track my car lol).

Edit: 48 is still amazing! Even 40mpg!
    Last edited by MirageRally; 09-20-2020 at 08:12 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Took the Mirage out for some exercise today. Much shorter drive, maybe 8-10 miles total. Residential and 35-40 mph 2-lane. No traffic to speak of (nobody behind me, anyway). Made it through the one traffic light without stopping both times, and only got delayed at one stop sign.

Started from a cold start and came back with 61.6 mpg. Not bad! If I bothered to install a kill switch, I could probably get about the same even with traffic. Today, I never shut the engine off. I didn't run AC, either... but, I really don't think that makes a world of difference. (maybe 1-2 mpg)

Hypermiling = cheap entertainment.

It always amuses me, though. I can be driving on a lazy road with no traffic, and driving 20% over the speed limit... never fails, the one other car on the road will just keep crawling up behind me wanting to drive faster. (and they're being followed by another car doing the same) People are incapable of adapting to traffic flow or even giving passing consideration to what the speed limit is. Well, that, and they're just in the habit of following too closely... as if that's where they should be. (I spend a majority of my time as a driving instructor trying to break people of that habit)
    Last edited by Loren; 09-22-2020 at 09:15 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I started antipassing a few years ago(edit: only with minimal traffic). Yeah, it's amazing how many people want to drive faster but won't. Especially at night, get your headlights out of my mirror already. Change lanes and then they see open road ahead of them and zip, then get back in my proper lane.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Heh, yeah, that's an "experiment" that I often tell my students to try. You can be on a 4+ lane road with zero traffic, and somebody will come up behind you and just camp out there. Maybe they're too close, maybe they're at a reasonable distance... but, they've caught up to you, and they just stay there. Unless you do something annoying, or they get tired of being there, they're just going to stay right there and follow.

The experiment, as you noted, is to simply move to another lane, and watch what they do. As soon you're out of their way, they're GONE. Until they catch up with someone else. Then they'll tailgate them. They tend to drive as fast as they can, until they can't. I call them "sheep". They follow.

They're not in a hurry. If they were, they'd have just passed you. That's just how they drive. They're used to being close behind somebody, and they think nothing of it.

Don't be a sheep!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-23-2020),MacClyver (09-22-2020)

I drive the mirage with the mirror flipped to night mode all the time. I hate me some tailgaters. Just yesterday I was passing someone in a civic tailgating a guy pulling a bobcat on an equipment trailer. Some chunk oh baseball sized metal rolled off the trailer, bounced a few times like a tumble weed the nailed the bumper of the civic, then got ran over. I laughed out loud, would have been pissed if it was my car but I'd like to think I don't usually put myself in that kind of stupid situation.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Heh, yeah, that's an "experiment" that I often tell my students to try. You can be on a 4+ lane road with zero traffic, and somebody will come up behind you and just camp out there. Maybe they're too close, maybe they're at a reasonable distance... but, they've caught up to you, and they just stay there. Unless you do something annoying, or they get tired of being there, they're just going to stay right there and follow.

The experiment, as you noted, is to simply move to another lane, and watch what they do. As soon you're out of their way, they're GONE. Until they catch up with someone else. Then they'll tailgate them. They tend to drive as fast as they can, until they can't. I call them "sheep". They follow.

They're not in a hurry. If they were, they'd have just passed you. That's just how they drive. They're used to being close behind somebody, and they think nothing of it.

Don't be a sheep!
    I usually just turn on the windshield washers until my reservoir is empty when I have someone following annoyingly close. I always keep an extra jug in the car and an extra case in the garage as it happens fairly often lol.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (09-22-2020)