Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EPS (electric power steering) Urgent help request

True but typically the ratio is different for a car with power steering vs without.

Old mazda pickups in the early 90's still had power steering as an option, there wasn't much difference in the way they drove. Really only noticed the manual steering when trying to turn the wheels while stationary.

The mirage does seem pretty easy to turn without power assist though, I may have to see if I can disable it too or turn it down.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    True but typically the ratio is different for a car with power steering vs without.

Old mazda pickups in the early 90's still had power steering as an option, there wasn't much difference in the way they drove. Really only noticed the manual steering when trying to turn the wheels while stationary.

The mirage does seem pretty easy to turn without power assist though, I may have to see if I can disable it too or turn it down.
    The 1988-93 Ford Festiva cars were designed by Mazda, built by KIA, and sold by Ford. For a really small car they handled quite well. The electric power steering is overdone on the Mirage.

I get what you are saying, however. A car designed for electric power steering would be different than a car without power steering. I don't mind the Mirage. I have gotten use to it. You only really need power steering when parking at low speeds.

My biggest knock on the Mirage was how it handled at high speeds with strong crosswinds. A Daox rear sway bar improved that in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The 1988-93 Ford Festiva cars were designed by Mazda, built by KIA, and sold by Ford. For a really small car they handled quite well. The electric power steering is overdone on the Mirage.

I get what you are saying, however. A car designed for electric power steering would be different than a car without power steering. I don't mind the Mirage. I have gotten use to it. You only really need power steering when parking at low speeds.

My biggest knock on the Mirage was how it handled at high speeds with strong crosswinds. A Daox rear sway bar improved that in my opinion.
    Yeah I've seen many festiva's. One of my aunt's bought one new. I knew a guy here in the city who had one years ago, he stuck a turbo on it lol.

I think the only vehicles I recall owning without power steering were an 86 fiero and 84 sj410. And atv's a guess. I added aftermarket power steering to my 08 rzr. It took some getting used to, it was full assist all the time. Kinda like the mirage.... The power steering that comes factory in sxs seems to vary assist as speed changes like most vehicles that aren't a Mirage.

And I totally agree with the sketchy handling in high winds. I took mine on the highway with 4 of us in the car and we were blown all over the place. It must have looked like I was slammered. I'll start a go fund me page to get a sway bar.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    It would be nice to dial-down the steering assist...especially at higher speeds. That's an ETACS hack I would entertain.

Edit - You could rent manual transmission Festivas back in the late 1980's. That's how I learned to powershift.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I tried to mess with the eps and had no luck. Just using my work Autel maxisys... I could view the eps setting but couldn't change it. I was only able to do things like change rear wiper delay time, headlight off delay time, unlock all doors/drivers door with 1 push of fob, variable speed wiper on/off,blinker beep sound. I can enable fog lights and was able to turn off the seatbelt buzzer. The light still comes on but no buzzer. I wear a seatbelt anyways so that was pointless.
    Mirage videos:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-24-2020)

I've tried unplugging the Mirage's EPS.

At parking lot speeds, it's noticeably heavier than my Metro/Firefly, which came with manual steering from the factory - probably a slightly larger diameter steering wheel, and easier steering ratio.

Higher tire pressure helps some, but I'd be wary of loaning the car to someone without EPS.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins,
    . . . . My RX-3 didn't have power steering but my 323 and Protégé both came with it. Of course they were hydraulic.
    GOD Bless and Thanks, rich!
    Merry Christmas!

2019 G4 Wine colored. 'Burgundy'
    130K miles, 37MPG average at 75-80 MPH with A/C and Lights
    I am on the second engine and trans! 4.5 months out of 18 in the shop!
    Not so happy any more!