Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage Hatch or Mirage G4?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts

Thank you! Lots of good replies...

I appreciate all your replies. I think I'm coming to a conclusion, even though it is not exactly what I would prefer. But to get ahead in life, sometimes you have to be disciplined enough to choose the smart route over the preferred route.

Last night I thought I was about to be clobbered by an idiot driver. But I managed to avoid it. When that event was over, I was thinking, "if this Lexus got clobbered, I know what I would replace it with and have money left over."

And now I'm thinking that due to having so many vehicles as it is, that's a good plan. If I procured a Mirage at this time, I would have to get rid of one of my current vehicles. And even though my current vehicles, while none are expensive vehicles, they are all good vehicles. So, I think it is just easiest, and less expensive (not to have to WASTE my money on taxes again), to just keep what I have. And only procure a Mirage (hatch or G4) if one of my current vehicles gets clobbered. Losing money on a car on depreciation is one thing (and on a Mirage I think it would be minimal because the car is so inexpensive to start with), but having to pay taxes is 100% a waste. You never get it or any portion of it back. And our trusty gobment uses it mostly unwisely to boot.

While my sons are big boys, one is in college, the other 2 in high school, I don't see us taking too many 4 person trips with luggage any longer. It's kind of sad. 10 years ago we did that a lot. Life changes, they grow up, and get on with their lives. So I think I would go for the Mirage and spend the left over grand on hookers and blackjack (like Bender). Based on these replies, this would be a good family to join!

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-18-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I appreciate all your replies. I think I'm coming to a conclusion, even though it is not exactly what I would prefer. But to get ahead in life, sometimes you have to be disciplined enough to choose the smart route over the preferred route.

Last night I thought I was about to be clobbered by an idiot driver. But I managed to avoid it. When that event was over, I was thinking, "if this Lexus got clobbered, I know what I would replace it with and have money left over."
    t
    Mirage is a good little roundabout. I think it's more of the "Mirage essence" in hatchback form. Closer to the Fiat 500 and the other inventors of the small car. Some people on the Forum call the Mirage the new VW Beetle, because it's inexpensive like you say, and mechanics are pretty simple design. Pretty reliable and tough little car.

The depreciation, however, is terribly bad. If an under $20k car sounds super cheap to you, it's a lot of money on a tight the budget for others.. and unfortunately, the depreciation hurts.

I spent quite a bit on my barebones Mirage new (taxes are more than 2x the USA I think) and now it's probably worth $3500.. in good shape.. so maybe more. Anecdotally, I have seen on lots of Mirages used... that are in USED condition.

Mine still smells new, so that's nice. Plasticy smell mmm

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

A reasonable decision!

Another reasonable decision would be to replace one of your current vehicles with a used Mirage. Depreciation has not been kind to these cars for a number of reasons, none of which are related to cost of ownership or reliability.

The deals are out there!

---

And speaking of getting clobbered: another question to think about in the hatch vs. sedan debate is rear crash safety. If I regularly had passengers in the back and was worried about such things, I know which one I'd rather be driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Depreciation is relative. Spend 12-15k on a new Mirage, lose 10k in depreciation in 5-6 years and still have 4-5 years left of warranty. Who cares, it beats buying a 40k-60k suv then 5-6 years later lose 15-30k in depreciation and have no warranty left.

Taxes are different province to province and state to state as far as I know.

When I quit smoking I saved a ton of money, around $600/month. I spent it on more beer atv's and vehicles. I sold most of my stupid vehicles that weren't practical and now drive a boring slow Mirage. But have way more beer money now, am doubling up mortgage payments more often and blew 20k on a new side by side lol.

The wife on the other hand traded in(gave away) her car(which wasn't even paid off) on a new suv and now has a $5-600/month payment for another 6 efn years....Basically owes right now what it cost new a year ago.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Question:

Can you flip down the back seat of a G4 and have a pass-through to the trunk? I never know when I might need to stop by Home Depot for some 8-foot 2x4's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

No! It's stupid.

They added a "ski" pass-through to later years, I think?

But the top line 2017 G4 I test drove had NO folding seat or pass-through. You could take the rear seatback out pretty easily, though (3 bolts):

You could pass certain long, narrow items past those braces:

If needed, you can remove the braces with a 12 mm socket wrench:

From
    Thread: Darin's test drive review notes: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Has anyone ever tried putting the 60/40 split rear seat from the hatch into the sedan?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    No! It's stupid.

They added a "ski" pass-through to later years, I think?

But the top line 2017 G4 I test drove had NO folding seat or pass-through. You could take the rear seatback out pretty easily, though (3 bolts):
    MetroMPG - I am a former design engineer for Toyota. I designed a rear seat back for the Toyota Solara that not only folded, but came out with ZERO BOLTS! I have a patent on that. Once folded down, the inboard latches had a feature like a hammer on a gun. Pull those hammers back and it released the latches. The outboard locations were just a bushed pin in a hole.

When I mention depreciation, it is all about totals, not percentage. For instance, I'm looking at a Mirage I can buy new right now for 10,050 (plus taxes, and I'm sure the dealer will add their rip-off fees which I would tell them to pound sand). Let's just say it is $10k for round numbers. In 5 years, maybe I can lose $10k worth of depreciation and it is worth zero.

Or I could buy a $90k BMW 7 Series, and in 5 years it is worth $24k. Seriously, BMWs are crap for resale these days. I'd rather drive a worthless $10k car that I only lost $10k on, than a $24k BMW that I lost $65k on.

I didn't mention. I only have 6 cars (not 7), and they've been paid for, for YEARS. The most prized is a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500HD Cummins 4X4 6-speed manual, that was paid off in 2002. I'll never sell that beauty.

A list of my fleet. Mostly worthless, but they all work very well.

1972 Plymouth Scamp - This car was GIVEN to me, by my first engineering mentor.
    2000 Dodge Ram 2500HD
    2003 Toyota Camry LE - Bought cheap from my parents, they bought it from the Toyota Tech Center where I worked at the time. Use it as a "trainer" for my sons to learn to navigate traffic.
    2005 Infiniti G35 - 6 speed I bought for my college son (really good deals on those cars these days).
    2009 Toyota Matrix - This crapper is for my wife after she crashed our 2004 Toyota Corolla last year. Paid $4k for it last year with 79k miles.
    2010 Lexus LS 460L - Had 13,800 miles when I bought it in 2014. This is the smoothest coolest ride ever. But it would go out the door in a hurry if it were between this and my Dodge Ram.

2011 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive - (got for cheap, had some problems)
    2016 Honda Rebel 250 - Bought for cheap with 44 miles (For sale)

1997 E-Z-Go TXT (for sale)
    2007 Honda CR 85R
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400
    2021 Yamaha PVT Quietech

I'm not rich. I'm not wealthy. I don't earn a ton of money. I do OK. The reason I share this with you is because if you young whipper snappers will stick to doing the hard things that make financial sense but require discipline to stick to, you too will be in a similar position as I am now (and I hope you do). I've saved A LOT of money (401k, personal investing, etc), and I'm in a house that is financed @ 2.875% for 15 years, and that is almost paid off too. So now, when I consider a $10k vehicle … it's still hard for me to fathom the following because I started with nothing just a cheap car my dad gave me long ago, but now a $10k car is just a toy I can pay cash for. I could afford a $100k car. But that's just stupid. I kicked around buying an $85k Lambo Countach some years ago. Yeah, it would be cool, but stupid. I just bought a $9,500 friggin golf cart. But … in a couple years I can sell it for about $8k if I needed to. And I live in a golf cart community. I limped along the current 1997 E-Z-Go for 9 years, and finally got tired of spending money on repairing it. But yeah, golf carts are stupid. I'd rather spent $9,500 on a Mirage. But I can do stupid crap like that now. I tell you young guys this in hopes of encouragement, to do the hard things now. It will pay off. Probably most of you are doing the smart things seeing that you are owners of Mirages and pay attention to forums (I've saved thousands by learning and doing myself in forums). I think buying a Mirage and keeping it for 10+ years would be really smart.

Even for me, buying a Mirage now would be money in the pocket. I'm sure I would keep it for 10 years. I've had my truck 20 years, and I'm still in love with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Acronychal (09-18-2020),dspace9 (09-18-2020),Fummins (09-18-2020),MetroMPG (09-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Find a used 2018 for 6 grand. With that last write up, it's clear you belong on this forum. Many like-minded on here, and the car's a hell of a little workhorse in hatch or sedan. It reminds me of the old Honda slogan "simplify"; It's simple, basic tested tech that works.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I designed a rear seat back for the Toyota Solara that not only folded, but came out with ZERO BOLTS! I have a patent on that. Once folded down, the inboard latches had a feature like a hammer on a gun. Pull those hammers back and it released the latches. The outboard locations were just a bushed pin in a hole.
    You are my new favourite forum member.