Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mirage Hatch or Mirage G4?

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    2005 Infiniti G35 - 6 speed I bought for my college son
    Oh no - you're going to ruin the boy!! You needed to give him a crappy beater like your dad did for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Nice dodge. I like those trucks too, other than the constant steering issues I had with mine. I had an 02, I got tired of replacing the transmissions(automatic,of course) every few years and the odd injection pump(never did have a fuel pressure gauge but had an edge set to race mode always) and I couldn't fit 2 rear facing car seats in the back seat....so practically gave it away. I'd buy another but they're hard to find in nice shape. I beat the hell out of mine though, once hauled 2 -275gallon totes of water in the box(once) for the acreage I lived at. I miss that truck lol Attachment 19277

I also had a 97' 5 speed with the pump turned up that made 50lb of head gasket blowing boost for some stupid reason.

I sold my 02 with 450,000km on about 5 years ago, it's still going, on transmission #5 that I know of. I now have an 05 6spd dually turd.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I realize this has been discussed before. But I want to approach this from a little different standpoint. Not necessarily on the specifications (size, weight, mpg, etc).

I want to discuss this based on … which shape am I going to be happier with long term? I'll be honest, I'm a 4 door sedan kind of guy. I'm also going to say, I have 7 cars now, 3 motorcycles, an ATV, and a golf cart that I paid more for than I will a Mirage! Ha! So, I'm not buying a Mirage *just* because they're inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap). Don't get me wrong, my fleet is not a bunch of expensive vehicles.

You guys should appreciate my reasoning behind my interest in the Mirage. I have big time respect for the Mirage for one simple reason. It was purpose built. Purpose built for what? It was purpose built to be INEXPENSIVE! I have a very nice Lexus LS 460L (that I procured used at a steal of a deal). It is a bad ass car, with low miles. But every time I drive it, I feel guilty. I don't need such a nice car, and I feel guilty slamming miles on it (which is part of the reason it has such low miles). The best thing about the car is the Mark Levinson sound system and its (either 19 or) 17 speakers. The sound system is incredible.

But I still want a Mirage to blow a gozillion miles on. I would never feel guilty cranking it and poking around in it.

So, back to the shape. I've always been a sedan guy. I don't prefer SUVs, crossovers, etc.

Over 7 cars, wow that's a lot? I can only see myself with 1 car at a time. Toyota's and Lexus's are great reliable cars but so are Mirages... My car is brand new and l drive (let's say) "aggressively".... No not bouncing off the rev limiter and is very reliable... Went on 3 road trips and love this car... As Dspace9 said depreciation sucks and that's why l love 3 pedals 👍. Sometimes l get up in the morning, get in my car, then look at my shifter and wish my car was a V6 Toyota Camry in Automatic...but everytime l drive this car.... And l mean "everytime"....l get really happy and laugh at how fun this little car is.... Maybe after college I'll get the Camry... But until then... Love little Mirageo
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Find a used 2018 for 6 grand. With that last write up, it's clear you belong on this forum. Many like-minded on here, and the car's a hell of a little workhorse in hatch or sedan. It reminds me of the old Honda slogan "simplify"; It's simple, basic tested tech that works.
    Do you have 2018 Mirage ES manuals in your area for $6,000?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Do you have 2018 Mirage ES manuals in your area for $6,000?

At the moment, no. But I bought my 2017 a year ago for $6500, and from what I see on KBB.com, there should be some out there around 6k.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At the moment, no. But I bought my 2017 a year ago for $6500, and from what I see on KBB.com, there should be some out there around 6k.
    Update: here's one, but its a 17.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2899/overview/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Depreciation is relative. Spend 12-15k on a new Mirage, lose 10k in depreciation in 5-6 years and still have 4-5 years left of warranty. Who cares, it beats buying a 40k-60k suv then 5-6 years later lose 15-30k in depreciation and have no warranty left.
    Exactly this. Yeah, your new $15,000 car will be worth $8,000 in a couple years with 30k on it. But at 100k...when the powertrain warranty expires...it will still be worth $3,000, and will have saved you THOUSANDS more. Plus, as you have already noted, it saves mileage/maintenance/fuel costs on your nicer, thirstier cars.

Drive both. See which one you like better. Get the manual.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Some of those customer reviews on cars.com are interesting. Might be worth a look for 7milesout. Just like on here, real owners of the Mirage, and their opinions, good and bad. Not a professional reviewer, who spends 10 minutes with the Mirage.

I think a lot of cars get unfairly reviewed (hyped up for no reason, and dissed for no reason), because they're not given a long-term test. Owners are long term testers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-20-2020),Eggman (09-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    That would be a good deal for someone, but it's not a manual. Almost 70,000 miles is not bad either, but I wouldn't consider that low mileage. For the money, it's a good deal. I am not knocking your example by any means.

I get your point that affordable 2017-18 Mirages can be found. In all honesty, I only look at manual vehicles for sale. I don't remember ever seeing a low mileage 2017-18 manual for $6,000, unless it has a salvage title attached to it. That is why I asked if you are seeing those consistently. I didn't specify low mileage either. Thus, your point is very valid.

As far as deprecation goes, I am going to quote Cobrajet a few posts back - "Yeah, your new $15,000 car will be worth $8,000 in a couple years with 30k on it."

I personally wouldn't pay a lot of money for a Mirage, & this is coming from someone who really likes his Mirage. I became interested in Mirage when they were selling for $9,000 brand new (under $10,000 OTD). My car's window sticker was $14,220, but I paid less 66% of that price new. If my Mirage is still worth $7,000-8,000 2-3 years later, it really hasn't depreciated all that much. Most new vehicles depreciate more than that at the time of purchase. If I tried to trade in my Mirage for something else, however, I would lose out big time.

I've seen the 2020 Mirage ES manual as low as $9,999 this past summer, & that would be at a dealership that would push it out their door for about $11,000. Given cruise, back up cameras, & other features have become standard or mandatory since 2017, an $11,000 OTD price is pretty good.

If you pay $15,000 plus tax &/or other tacked on fees, depreciation will surely be more of a factor. Someone shared paying near $20,000 OTD for a Mirage last winter. That car would take a much bigger depreciation hit than one bought at $11,000-13,000 OTD.

I'll be honest here. $15,000+ Mirages would have never interested me. At that price, I would have bought a slightly used Mirage for about 2/3 that price or something entirely different. For me, the Mirage needs to be affordable to purchase, reliable, and economical to drive. You take away any of those traits, & it would have lost its charm for me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I get your point that affordable 2017-18 Mirages can be found.
    Yeah, but on closer inspection a lot of them are garbage.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...subishi-Mirage