Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage Hatch or Mirage G4?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts

Mirage Hatch or Mirage G4?

I realize this has been discussed before. But I want to approach this from a little different standpoint. Not necessarily on the specifications (size, weight, mpg, etc).

I want to discuss this based on … which shape am I going to be happier with long term? I'll be honest, I'm a 4 door sedan kind of guy. I'm also going to say, I have 7 cars now, 3 motorcycles, an ATV, and a golf cart that I paid more for than I will a Mirage! Ha! So, I'm not buying a Mirage *just* because they're inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap). Don't get me wrong, my fleet is not a bunch of expensive vehicles.

You guys should appreciate my reasoning behind my interest in the Mirage. I have big time respect for the Mirage for one simple reason. It was purpose built. Purpose built for what? It was purpose built to be INEXPENSIVE! I have a very nice Lexus LS 460L (that I procured used at a steal of a deal). It is a bad ass car, with low miles. But every time I drive it, I feel guilty. I don't need such a nice car, and I feel guilty slamming miles on it (which is part of the reason it has such low miles). The best thing about the car is the Mark Levinson sound system and its (either 19 or) 17 speakers. The sound system is incredible.

But I still want a Mirage to blow a gozillion miles on. I would never feel guilty cranking it and poking around in it.

So, back to the shape. I've always been a sedan guy. I don't prefer SUVs, crossovers, etc. Just sedans. However, I do like the looks of a hatchback. And for a short time I had a hatchback provided to me from my employer. And I liked it.

I like the fact that the hatch is a grand less expensive. And for a purpose built car, built to be inexpensive, it seems appropriate to go for the least expensive one.

The question is: Am I ever going to be put in a situation where the hatchback will be less useful than a sedan? For example, I could load up my 3 sons and their luggage in the sedan and take a decent length trip. Without too much complaint. If I try that in the hatch, not only will all our luggage not fit, but they will loose what, 3 inches of leg room.

I'm torn. I am leaning toward the hatchback. It is 4 doors and a more interesting shape than the sedan. Either way I will be running the ES for the 5MT. No CVT turd for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I have other vehicles too. My Mirage is my go to for commuting and putzing around. It cost's next to nothing to drive, constantly gets around 40mpg and it doesn't break down constantly. I work/maintain on a fleet of them and they're pretty reliable and take a beating.
    I've never driven a g4 but would assume they're a little nicer on the highway and maybe ride a little better than the hatchback? But I don't think they're as versatile having only a small passthrough from the trunk. I rarely haul anything in my car but it's nice to have the option.

I've never taken my Mirage on road trips, that's the last car I'd pick. I usually use my truck or take the wifes suv. I'd rather pay more for fuel and be comfortable than be crammed in an under powered tin can being blown all over the road lol. Besides we all can't fit in the thing anyways with a wife, 3 kids, 1 kid in a booster seat and one in a car seat still and a black lab who's breath smells like his diet is primarily dingle berries.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

If I try that in the hatch, not only will all our luggage not fit, but they will loose what, 3 inches of leg room.
    Unless your kids are giants, the leg room in the hatch is still surprisingly decent. And not just "good for a tiny car". The front seats are high off the floor, so you can stretch out with your feet underneath.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    The ES manual is a nice vehicle for the money. Not saying the other trim level aren't, but for a base model car it's nicely equipped. Cruise becoming standard in 2019 is especially a plus in my mind.

I bought a 2017 ES manual brand new, & approximately 90% of my miles have gone on it since that purchase. I bought a Mirage to extend the life of my 2011 Forester 2.5X manual. There are times when I need AWD to climb snow covered ridge roads to get home &/or tug a small trailer. Outside of that, my Mirage is used for most everything else. I live 12 miles from town, & the Mirage is great for doing errands. My elderly parents live 4-hours away, & the Mirage is great for making those trips, too.

Unlike you, my children are grown & married. In my case, my oldest daughter lives in Finland. If my son-in-law & her visit, I have a vehicle they may use. Personally, I really like hatchbacks & small wagons. My rear seats on my Mirage have been down all summer. I find myself hauling stuff more than people. Larger stuff goes on the trailer & is pulled by my Forester.

I sold my motorcycle about 8 months after purchasing my Mirage. I just wanted to simplify my life some, but I still have an ATV, UTV, compacted diesel tractor, riding lawnmower, & a few other toys. In my case, they aren't toys, because I use them for hauling deer, firewood, maintaining trails, put in food plots, etc... As I have gotten older, I developed more of a fear of hitting a deer on a motorcycle. That may be the main reason I sold mine. I rather get a nice buck with my bow.

I get what you say about guilt free miles. That's the feeling I have when driving my Mirage. It's affordable transportation. When it comes to being affordable, reliable, and economical, the Mirage checks all the boxes. I may have considered a used Prius c, but I only buy manual vehicles. If a new Honda Fit was selling for $10,000 OTD in 2017, I may have considered one. The Mirage ES manual hatchback checks off all of the important boxes for me. Having said that, it's not my only vehicle either. It's perfect for what you have described. Some days driving a Lexus isn't necessary.

The Mirage has a charm to it. I like it more & more each day. I can't say that about all of my purchases in the past. You may be happier with a sedan. If so, I wouldn't worry about paying a $1000 more. My vehicles have been Civic wagon, Isuzu Trooper, Plymouth Colt Wagon, Ford Festiva, Ford Explorer, VW Golf, Honda CR-V, Forester, & Mirage. As you can see, I am not a sedan guy.

Good luck with whatever you decide! If nothing else, this a great forum! That's worth something, too!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I own both the hatch and the G4 with the "turd" CVT. I've done multiple roadtrips in both and I prefer the G4. It's got a big trunk and handles wind shear better IMO also rear visibility is better too. Your spot on getting the manual version too. I've yet to see 1 used Mirage CVT with over 200k miles for sale anywhere. So unless your a master mechanic like Fummins that knows exactly how to take care of these CVT cars, your smart for only considering the manual version.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I realize this has been discussed before. But I want to approach this from a little different standpoint. Not necessarily on the specifications (size, weight, mpg, etc).
    Can we reverse the situation, and I get the Lexus?

Lol I am a 2014 Mirage hatch ES owner, for over 6+ years. Mine is the rare 5 speed and no A/C model; roll-down windows in the back, power windows up front.

Maneuverability is great, not sure what you will think of an econobox on the freeway after a few hours. Just Lexus has the Mirage beat in terms of passing ability, and safety frankly. I had a close call with an F150 because of corn fields.. anyway Mirage is fun but maybe being a motorcyclist you're use to this sort of stuff... cheers from Canada!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    People plus luggage you'd probably be happier with the G4 sedan. The hatch is more practical for other uses, but not for both people and a bunch of stuff.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I test drove a few hatches and own a G4. Definitely more room in back seat in the sedan. My previous car was a Fit and at times I miss the usable space of a hatch. But the highway commute manners of the sedan are better than the hatch, in my opinion. Definitely get a Daox swaybar whatever you choose (free plug).

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    My 2019 Space Star is my only car and it's the hatchback version. I personally wouldn't get the G4 because I think the hatch looks better, it is more versatile, and really easily maneuverable around Swiss roads. I also don't have a huge family - just me, my wife, and toddler. None of us are giants and the three of us fit perfectly fine for road trips. This summer we took a few road trips of 3-4 hours and had no problems with space for us and our luggage. Speed limits are slower here, too, so I never felt blown around on the highway.

Everyone has different requirements, but for my use I much prefer the hatchback. They are great little cars either way!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Acronychal For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-18-2020)

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    As some one who has both cars at home, i can say i prefer the G4.
    Bigger Trunk, in my opinion better Handling thanks to the longer wheelbase, more interior space.

The Hatch is my mothers daily and the G4 is my "nice" Car.
    I daily drive a Ford Mondeo Diesel Sedan as my daily.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-18-2020)