Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple CarPlay Disconnections

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Apple CarPlay Disconnections

This is just a PSA in case anyone has been having problems with CarPlay in their Mirage/Space Star.

I just got my Space Star a little over two months ago and it has been perfect for my use, I really love this little car. The only issue I've had so far is Apple CarPlay has not been working.

I got my car from a dealer about 250km away from where I live, and on the drive home I used CarPlay for navigation and it worked for the first hour but then it just started disconnecting constantly even though the USB was plugged in. I've been fighting with it ever since, and have just been using the built-in TomTom navigation (which isn't bad, just not as convenient as CarPlay for me) and Bluetooth for music/phone.

Today I tried something different: I unchecked the "Allow CarPlay While Locked" option in the Settings app (Settings -> General -> CarPlay). It was the first time in over a month I had no disconnects during my 25 minute drive to work and back, so almost an hour in total. I also updated my iPhone 11 to iOS 14, but I still had disconnects in the beginning until I unchecked this option. This basically keeps your iPhone unlocked all of the time while connected to CarPlay, which is fine for me. So far, so good, and hopefully it stays this way.

If you have been having CarPlay issues try updating iOS and unchecking the option I mentioned above. Maybe it will solve your issue.

I took my car in twice to the only Mitsubishi dealer in my area and they said that it is a known issue with recent iOS updates and the stock head unit. The dealer said Mitsubishi hasn't updated the software of the head unit fast enough, which has caused problems with CarPlay in newer iOS versions. They told me there is nothing they can do but wait for an update from Mitsubishi. Personally I was skeptical of this as I asked them to check the physical USB connection and I don't think they did, though they claimed nothing is wrong with it.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. If there are no more disconnects then maybe it was a software issue that is resolved with iOS 14 and disabling CarPlay while locked. If it comes back again then I think it must be something with the wiring.

I wish I had an Android device to test it out, but I've used three iPhones and all exhibited the problem (though all were on iOS 13) until I updated to iOS 14 and changed the settings.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acronychal For This Useful Post:

daleWV (09-19-2020),Eggman (09-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acronychal View Post
    This is just a PSA in case anyone has been having problems with CarPlay in their Mirage/Space Star.
    I've used three iPhones and all exhibited the problem (though all were on iOS 13) until I updated to iOS 14 and changed the settings.
    Much thanks for posting your fix. It's stuff like this that makes this a great and useful forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This may be a game changer. It is frustrating when listening to FM, then CarPlay kicks in and all I hear is silence.
    I'm currently on iOS 13 and will report back on my experience with the unchecked "allow while locked" after some time.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    Well, after a few days of working fine Car Play is again disconnecting randomly. I was really hoping it would work as Car Play is much nicer than the stock GPS.

Does anyone else have this problem with a 2019 Space Star/Mirage? I noticed that even though Car Play disconnects randomly, my iPhone is still charging. So it is getting power but not connecting.

I feel like I have a faulty head unit but my local dealer doesn't seem inclined to do anything about it, claiming it is a software issue that Mitsubishi has to fix. Should I ask for a replacement head unit to see if it fixes the problem?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I feel like I have a faulty head unit but my local dealer doesn't seem inclined to do anything about it, claiming it is a software issue that Mitsubishi has to fix. Should I ask for a replacement head unit to see if it fixes the problem?

Did they even look at it/try it? Were they aware of the problem? Also they have a national tech line they can call to report and ask for assistance.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Did they even look at it/try it? Were they aware of the problem? Also they have a national tech line they can call to report and ask for assistance.
    They claimed they looked at it but honestly I don't believe it because when I brought it in a second time I had to physically show them what was happening. Then they kept it for a day and the next day just said it's a software problem and they can't do anything until Mitsubishi updates it. I'm in Switzerland so I will have to see if they have an assistance number here where I can call them, thanks fo the tip.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

I just got my Space Star a little over two months ago and it has been perfect for my use, I really love this little car. The only issue I've had so far is Apple CarPlay has not been working.

I got my car from a dealer about 250km away from where I live, and on the drive home I used CarPlay for navigation and it worked for the first hour but then it just started disconnecting constantly even though the USB was plugged in. I've been fighting with it ever since, and have just been using the built-in TomTom navigation (which isn't bad, just not as convenient as CarPlay for me) and Bluetooth for music/phone.

Today I tried something different: I unchecked the "Allow CarPlay While Locked" option in the Settings app (Settings -> General -> CarPlay). It was the first time in over a month I had no disconnects during my 25 minute drive to work and back, so almost an hour in total. I also updated my iPhone 11 to iOS 14, but I still had disconnects in the beginning until I unchecked this option. This basically keeps your iPhone unlocked all of the time while connected to CarPlay, which is fine for me. So far, so good, and hopefully it stays this way.

If you have been having CarPlay issues try updating iOS and unchecking the option I mentioned above. Maybe it will solve your issue.

I took my car in twice to the only Mitsubishi dealer in my area and they said that it is a known issue with recent iOS updates and the stock head unit. The dealer said Mitsubishi hasn't updated the software of the head unit fast enough, which has caused problems with CarPlay in newer iOS versions. They told me there is nothing they can do but wait for an update from Mitsubishi.
    Acronychal not sure if you've seen these or if they will help any but here you go:

TIN: Ending Call with iPhone® (11.0/11.0.1) Using Apple CarPlay™

TIN: SDA (Smart Display Audio) Software Update

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbrewsky View Post
    I'm currently on iOS 13 and will report back on my experience with the unchecked "allow while locked" after some time.
    Still on iOS 13, iPhone locked, connected via USB, listening to FM. Then iHeartRadio randomly tries to kick in: enables Apple CarPlay but only get silence.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you using a long extension cable to connect your phone to the car USB? If so try using as short an extension as possible or a higher quality cable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Are you using a long extension cable to connect your phone to the car USB? If so try using as short an extension as possible or a higher quality cable.
    Good idea regarding the quality of the cable.
    My experience has been while using the cable that came with the phone (2 months old).

I'm also used to experiencing iHeart Radio starting/resuming on its own just walking around the house. So, it's not necessarily limited to the car.