Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Mitsu could increase sales

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    Subcompact Culture: excellent points!
    I'll second that; nicely done. It does seem like basic marketing 101, but somehow Mitsubishi is not getting it. Now add a partnership with Renault and Nissan, and you can almost bet those two will pull Mitsubishi quality down instead of vice versa. Given Mitsubishi Motors' parent company strength, I don't understand why they dont make a push for more market share, but it's not my company. In my mind, it would be worth shelling out some money to someone to help them find and promote an identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Mitsubishi's 5-year/60,000 bumper to bumper warranty & 10-year/100,000 mile warranty is equal to Hyundai/Kia's warranty. Overall, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, & Kia have best standard warranties that I am aware of. Most other companies offer a 3-year/36,000 basic warranty & 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

In the States - Hyundai has been offering their 5-year/60,000 mile & 10-year/100,000 mile warranties since 2004.
    Kia has been doing the same since 2008.

You'll notice how Mitsubishi omits Hyundai/Kia when advertising how their warranty stacks up against other companies.

https://www.qualitymitsubishivt.com/...d%20conditions.

These 10 vehicle manufacturers provide factory coverage for longer than the industry standard -

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/39547...-car-warranty/
    It looks like kia and hyundai offer better warranty's down there. They only offer 5 year 100,000 km warranty up here. Of course can buy extended coverage for more moneys.

Though with that said, I wouldn't be jumping all over a 2004-2013 kia or hyundai
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Maybe the lineup simply isn't all that appealing.
    Agreed. A long warranty and advertising doesn't change the fact that your lineup isn't attracting a lot of buyers...

Name:  lineup.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  78.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    PS: That was way more than two cents. That was like a buck-fifty.
    Which, sadly, is about a buck more than Mitsubishi has to spend on marketing these days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (09-23-2020)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    By the way, yes Mitsubishi has a great warranty. Does anyone outside of this forum even know that? You have to scroll to the bottom of their website to find the 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty mention. But no mention of the 5 year / 60,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Holy crap people: You guys offer one of the least expensive cars in the U.S. with one of the best warranties in the U.S. and you're not screaming it from the hilltops?

You guys offer the best-selling PHEV crossover with the same warranty?

I'd take a page from the Hyundai/Kia playbook about, what, 10 to 15 years ago and start talking about that stellar warranty. It's quite literaelly, one of the top 5 warranties in the U.S.

I agree^

I honestly had no idea Mitsubishi had a 10 year powertrain warranty until I started my current job. It appears that in Canada Mitsubishi offers the best powertrain warranty. Kia/Hyundai and Mitsu all offer 5 year/100,000km/60k mile entire vehicle coverage if my reading skills were correct...I went on the hyundai usa site and quickly noticed they like to brag about having "America's best warranty".

I go onto Mitsu usa's site and the first thing I see is a blurb about how they were involved in a JD power initial quality study and were ranked below Dodge,Chevy,Kia and Ram. Way to go Mitsubishi...
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I know... I know!

How Mitsu could increase Mirage sales: Put the drivetrain in the Micra and sell it through the Nissan dealers!

The Micra (cancelled in Canada as of the 2019 model year) outsold the Mirage about 4-to-1 from 2014-2019 with an inferior warranty, but more likeable styling and cheerfully fun steering/handling.

Oh, wait... it also had 35 more hp.

Oh, and it had a conventional autobox instead of a CVT.

The Canadian auto reviewers LOVED the Micra, even the base version. I literally didn't see one negative review of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    How Mitsu could increase Mirage sales: Put the drivetrain in the Micra and sell it through the Nissan dealers!

The Micra (cancelled in Canada as of the 2019 model year) outsold the Mirage about 4-to-1 from 2014-2019 with an inferior warranty, but more likeable styling and cheerfully fun steering/handling.

Oh, wait... it also had 35 more hp.

Oh, and it had a conventional autobox instead of a CVT.

The Canadian auto reviewers LOVED the Micra, even the base version. I literally didn't see one negative review of it.
    I don't think Nickels has posted on the forum for quite some time. He owned both the Mirage & Micra. Higher fuel consumption of the Micra would have made it a pass for me. I am not willing to drive a small car that doesn't get 40+ mpg consistently.

Add the 5-speed manual powertrain of the Mirage to a Micra (like you suggested), & I would really a car like that. I liked that the Micra was more basic than the Mirage, too. Reviewers understood what Nissan was going for (affordable, basic transportation). That point seems to be missed by Mirage reviewers.

If I want more hp, the Honda Fit has 52 more horsepower than a Mirage. The Fit being offered here is near its end in the States, too. If you compared MSRP/destination fee, a Honda Fit LX CVT is only $1,501 more than a Mirage ES CVT. I realize a Mirage sell for less with huge discounts, but these points fuel what reviewers say about the value of a Mirage.

I don't see Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi having good leadership or vision.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't see Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi having good leadership or vision.
    Mitsubishi has a fraction of the market share of Honda. They gotta make money somehow or they'll NEVER catch up!

These two companies were on different trajectories from the start.

Are we lucky to have paid what we did and no more? What does it say when choosing the cheapest car available and still complaining about the price?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I think it says we're cheap.

Mirage videos: