Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Mitsu could increase sales

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

How Mitsu could increase sales

Dealer in the mid 00's had Hyundai/kia franchises marketed saying cars are the worst investment, check out the Hyundais, Kias, save thousands compared, marketed factory 10/100 warranties, pushed standard features compared to other brands, sometimes went right after toyota, nissan, and honda why buy used for same price... have a brand new kia/hyundai. Even did the kid going away to college scheme would you sleep better knowing your kid is driving a 100000 mile used car or new hyundai with roadside and bumper to bumper warranty.

Marketing worked some months 1000 - 2000 units at one dealership!

If dealers were a little brazen bet they could increase sales. Between Covid, economy, used vehicle pricing, and people wanting a sense of security aka warranty may be perfect timing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I always thought Mitsubishi could really stir the pot by offering a 10/100 bumper-to-bumper warranty. I think they did this in Canada for a while?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I always thought Mitsubishi could really stir the pot by offering a 10/100 bumper-to-bumper warranty. I think they did this in Canada for a while?
    A few years ago Mitsubishi had a true 10/10/10 warranty. True 10 year new car warranty, 10 years' of roadside assistance, 10 year powertrain.

Kinda annoying when they start selling better warranties than your new car got lol. Ah well. Same thing when I bought my Mirage, I paid $12,400, and then 6 months later they started selling Mirage ES's for $9999.

Timing just never right

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My first new 98 Hyundai Accent L just missed the warranty going to 10/100 had the 5/60. The car was great though MSRP was 10800 between rebate and dealer discount 7995. 1 recall gas cap, No Mechanical issues. 1 paint issue that was covered under warranty drove it over 130000 miles. Tires were 20 bucks a piece 155 80r13's only thing it had am/fm cassete, floor mats, interment wipers, no AC no power steering, no clock. Got 35-40 mpg.
    Replaced with 2002 Accent L same experience overall. Few more options.

I was also thinking Mitsu could offer service first 24-36 months but the dealer network is not good enough. Cant imagine someone driving far for simple service even if free.

Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post

I was also thinking Mitsu could offer service first 24-36 months but the dealer network is not good enough. Cant imagine someone driving far for simple service even if free.
    The wife had free oil changes in her old car. She bought her Sorento from the same dealer last year cause she thought they gave her such a great deal.....(lol) They gave her free oil changes for the Sorento which would be nice but the dealer is a 30-40 min drive across the city then another hour or two wait as they're in no rush to do freebie oil changes. I did the last one myself, saved a few hours of time, I know how much of what kind of oil went in it and I know the drain plug won't ever be rounded off this way.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My two cents:

Mitsubishi needs to have a lineup that is appealing to more people. CUVs are the proverbial hotcakes of the automotive world, yet Mitsubishi's don't sell so well. Why? Dated design, right? Eclipse Cross is new and doesn't sell all that well. Maybe the lineup simply isn't all that appealing. Maybe more marketing?

Mitsubishi does not have a strong brand identity in the U.S. It doesn't stand for much. Other brands are know for things to car buyers (remember, we're talking the general public here, folks). Toyota = reliability. Honda = engineering. Mazda = driving enthusiasm. Hyundai/Kia = great warranty, the up-and-comers. Mitsubishi used to be known for a mixture of quality, something different, and performance in the 1980s/1990s with vehicles like the Starion, Eclipse, 3000GT, Galant, Mirage Turbo, and Montero. But something happened where they deviated from that strategy. I hate it when people say "I didn't even know Mitsubishi still offered cars." This means the brand has very low consumer awareness.

If the problem is low consumer awareness, advertising and putting the vehicles into the hands of people who can provide exposure would be a great idea. At least get the word out that the brand still exists and offerers cars you might like. But that messaging should be powerful and stand for something the brand wants to represent. Affordability? Reliability? Price? Warranty? Technology? If you're going to be the "no credit, bad credit, no problem!" brand, then market the crap out of it. If you're going to be be the best combination of bang for the buck, then let the world know. The caveat? Branding and advertising costs dollars.

Another thing: The newest car in the lineup right now is the Eclipse Cross and it's already a few years old (and built on the same aged chassis as the Outlander and Outlander Sport) and people think it looks like a Pontiac Aztek. But a redesign is coming. But it's yet another "update" vs. a new car. We'll have to wait until MY2022 for an all-new car, the new Outlander.

So now that I've written a novella about this, what's Mitsubishi to do? Here's what I'd do:

• Up the marketing spend. Get the word out about the cars. This is much easier said than done due to budgets. Ask me how I know.

• Come up with something other than "Small Batch" to market your cars. This isn't bespoke whiskey. I don't think it resonates. Yeah, we get it: you have low sales. But instead of pretending to be a craft-made beverage, how about something about being the best bang for the buck. How about affordability meets capability? How about "make the crossover to a Mitsubishi" for its lineup of crossovers. Creativity costs money, however.

• Find a way to place your product in notable publicly seen venues. I love the fact an Eclipse Cross took second place at the 2019 Rebelle Rally and that an Outlander PHEV is competing in the 2020. But Rebelle Rally is very low visibility to the average person. (But hey, it's a start). This generally costs money though.

• Shake things up. If you've got to work with what you've got, go bold. This is unlikely, however, since bold generally costs money and bold doesn't appeal to hyper-conservative Japanese-owned companies.

So perhaps the biggest problem is tied-up capital. This can be chicken/egg and as a marketing professional, I know it very well.

To get a bigger budget, you've got to sell more product. To sell more product you need a bigger budget. When our company's budgets were slashed we were told we'd need to "make our own oxygen." This mean you're going to have to figure a way to increase sales while simultaneously coming up with a way to increase sales. It's not fun. It's often not effective. But I digress.

PS: That was way more than two cents. That was like a buck-fifty.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

2of9 (09-24-2020),AtomicPunk (09-23-2020),Dirk Diggler (09-22-2020),inuvik (09-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Subcompact Culture: excellent points!

Does Mitsubishi not offer one of the “best”/ longest standard warranties in the industry right now? That alone should be a good reason to buy one. I don’t feel too confident in a mfg that only offers a 3-5 year power train warranty. I would assume they have little confidence in their product. In some cases(most) I’d rather buy an outdated proven reliable vehicle over one that was just released and all new everything aka: likely to have a hoard of new problems that will take years to sort out.

I bought a new side by side this summer(because covid) and one reason I went with a less popular Kawasaki is because they have basically the best standard warranty going. 3 year power train which is pretty good considering most other mfg like Polaris and can am offer 6 months. Yes you can buy extended warranties but you can for a used turd pail at a car lot too.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Does Mitsubishi not offer one of the “best”/ longest standard warranties in the industry right now? That alone should be a good reason to buy one. I don’t feel too confident in a mfg that only offers a 3-5 year power train warranty. I would assume they have little confidence in their product. In some cases(most) I’d rather buy an outdated proven reliable vehicle over one that was just released and all new everything aka: likely to have a hoard of new problems that will take years to sort out.

I bought a new side by side this summer(because covid) and one reason I went with a less popular Kawasaki is because they have basically the best standard warranty going. 3 year power train which is pretty good considering most other mfg like Polaris and can am offer 6 months. Yes you can buy extended warranties but you can for a used turd pail at a car lot too.
    wtf? 6 mos. warranty coverage on a pricey rig? what a joke.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Mitsubishi's 5-year/60,000 bumper to bumper warranty & 10-year/100,000 mile warranty is equal to Hyundai/Kia's warranty. Overall, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, & Kia have best standard warranties that I am aware of. Most other companies offer a 3-year/36,000 basic warranty & 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

In the States - Hyundai has been offering their 5-year/60,000 mile & 10-year/100,000 mile warranties since 2004.
    Kia has been doing the same since 2008.

You'll notice how Mitsubishi omits Hyundai/Kia when advertising how their warranty stacks up against other companies.

https://www.qualitymitsubishivt.com/...d%20conditions.

These 10 vehicle manufacturers provide factory coverage for longer than the industry standard -

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/39547...-car-warranty/