Thread: Does anyone carry a lithium based booster?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Does anyone carry a lithium based booster?

I bought a booster from Amazon for my Suzuki 400 Burgmans. I wanted the security knowing I could self rescue if I played my radio too long. The booster looks something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Arteck-12000mA...857862&sr=8-25

It turns out this capacity booster seems OK for a Mirage engine. My 2017 battery went flaky from abuse, only starting the car in warmer temps and failing miserably at anything below 50F.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just carry an additional lead acid battery and jumper cords when my battery starts to get weak.

Lead acid batteries are more widely recyclable than lithium, that's why I try to limit how many lithium batteries I use. But hey, since you've already got that, great, how convenient!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I carry a small lithium jump pack because I used a bet small lightweight battery in the car.

I was so impressed with it that we now also carry them in our drivers ed cars instead of jumper cables. Very convenient.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I was so impressed with it that we now also carry them in our drivers ed cars instead of jumper cables. Very convenient.
    So you have used them before with good results? I was always a bit skeptical of the power output of those things, but they look really convenient.

In the winter time I toss my Jump-n-Carry unit in the back. I'm always happy to give people a jump with a jumper box...but I'm not hooking jumper cables from my car to an unknown POS. Unfortunately this thing weighs 20 pounds...but it will jumpstart a dump truck with a completely dead battery in -20C temps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I bought a booster from Amazon for my Suzuki 400 Burgmans. I wanted the security knowing I could self rescue if I played my radio too long. The booster looks something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Arteck-12000mA...857862&sr=8-25

It turns out this capacity booster seems OK for a Mirage engine. My 2017 battery went flaky from abuse, only starting the car in warmer temps and failing miserably at anything below 50F.
    I don't have any experience with these, but I really like how "Project Farm" tests products like these. If anyone is interested, they can watch & draw their own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA

Since this clip is less than 1 year old, it's fairly current of what's out there.

I haven't watched Scotty Kilmer in quite some time, but I remember he liked one for the money. I believe it was this one (& it has thousands of good reviews) -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...18eccd11b0f4b0
    Last edited by Mark; 09-23-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a NAPA Blue Fuel jump pack. It's saved my bacon a number of times.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I've used them. They work great! Even at less than full charge, they still get the job done. You do need to be sure you have one that's large enough for the kind of car you're trying to start. The 800mAh one that I have is fine for the Mirage. I think I got 1200's for the other cars.

I have faith in Lithium batteries. I was an early adopter in my Miata for competition 10+ years ago. I replaced a typical small Miata voter, something like 25 pounds with a TWO POUND Lithium battery. Worked GREAT! Plenty of power, even after repeated starts.

The problem with Lithium back then was that they hadn't gotten to doing what they tend to do now (like with your phone and laptop and these jump pack), and that is really good charging control. So, I slapped a $150 Lithium battery in my car, and it kicked ass, but the one time I left my lights on, it ran the battery down below it's 9V safety threshold and destroyed it! Now, they have logic built into the battery to prevent that. It will just shut down the battery output before it gets too low.

I've never forgiven that failed expensive Lithium battery, though! That's why I have a standard lead-acid motorcycle battery in my car now. It's 11 pounds rather than 2 pounds... but, that's still 1/3 of the stock battery. And it's $40 rather than $150+.

Anyway... yeah, Lithium is great, and if you can get a jump pack for under $50 with good reviews... rock on! They hold charge very well. Just try to remember to give it a charge cycle every 6 months or so to keep it happy and charged.

Simplify and add lightness.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-24-2020)