Thread: New from New York

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New from New York

I think this is the place to introduce myself. Marlon from Long Island NY. Got my 2014 Red manual Mirage ES last week. So far lots of fun. I went for the upgrade mostly for the vertical seat adjustment. Someday I may use the fog lights. Now I'm learning how to use the blue tooth and how to play the music from my phone. Keyless entry is really weird. No, the car doesn't have much power. But, I think it was in one of the reviews they said you have more fun in an underpowered car driving to the limit. Really hitting the pedal to get started is kind of interesting. I had a New Beetle that blew the engine (not exactly a high powered car) but this has less. In any event, I only drive a few miles a day, mostly around town. So far, I'm quite satisfied. Too bad they took out the eco meter in the US and just gave us that light. It would have been fun to try to see how to pace it. The light basically just comes on whenever you don't accelerate. Not too surprising and not too helpful. I love the tachometer. I think a brighter Red exterior would have been nice, but I like it. Easier on the eyes I guess. Handling is fine. Wow, those wheels really are narrow. I came up to my car in the parking lot from behind and saw a car next to it. What a difference. That's my first impressions. Looking forward to everyone else's thoughts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 32.9 mpg (US) ... 14.0 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.6 mpg (Imp)

Hi, Marlon... welcome!

One of the neat things about making a car lighter is they can then make a lot of the other stuff (like wheels, tires, brakes... and needless to say, engines) smaller and lighter too while still performing acceptably. But I agree... those tires do look small!

What other cars did you consider? Why did the Mirage win out?

Oh and please make a garage entry for your car if you feel like it.

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's funny but I've driven cars for decades and I think I know how the driving dynamics of this car will be before I've actually driven the car. And I not only don't mind that but I think it only enamores me more ta the new mighty-might from Mitsubishi!

Marlon Seliger - I think I would choose red for my manual Mirage as well. My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is a shade Mitsubishi calls Rally Red, I don't know if it's a perfect match to the red Mitsubishi paints 2014 Mirage's, but I like it the best and I've come to appreciate the Rally Red on my Lancer GTS as being a beautiful color shade. I also am starting to dig the green and sort of the blue shades. I also woudn't cringe at the white color, even though color shade experts don't consider white a color.

Enjoy your little mini hot rods. I'm enjoying all the reviews!
    Last edited by Mitsuman; 01-07-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site Marlon. Its great to see another satisfied Mirage owner here.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Small wheels

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't saying the small wheels were bad, just they were quite noticeable. I think they help with maneuvering. To answer why I got a Mirage. I wanted something small which left me looking at the Chevy Spark, Fiat 500, Toyota IQ, and Smart. The Smart seats only 2, gets lousy mileage for its size, gets very expensive with any kind of options (would you believe you have to add a radio, power windows, and air conditioning) and you can't get it with a manual. The Toyota is really a 2 seater. No one with legs can fit in the back. It comes with a manual 4 speed (strange), is quite expensive, and, I didn't like the way it looked. The Fiat is nice, certainly the best performer. However, it doesn't really have a practical back seat, puts the shifter high on the dash (personal preference, I don't like that. The Mazda is the same), is also more expensive, and I didn't like the gauge design. The Spark was the closest runner up. Somehow the Mirage just felt nicer and seemed to be a better value (better warrantee too.) and I hated the gauge design in the Spark. Worst tachometer I ever saw. I didn't want to be looking at that for the next several years.
    I'm interested why others got the Mirage. We are all taking a chance with Mitsubishi. I hope they stay in business 5 years for my warrantee.
    This seems like a really nice forum. Hello again to everyone.
    I'll post a picture of my car if I can figure out how.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 32.9 mpg (US) ... 14.0 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.6 mpg (Imp)

FYI: I got your message and fixed your username.

--

Posting pictures:

Thread: How to add photos/pictures to your posts

Also, the concern about Mitsu's viability in the U.S. seems to be a common comment -- not here so much, but definitely in comments under Mirage reviews on other sites. For what it's worth:

Thread: Mitsu president: "There is no way we are going to withdraw from the U.S. market."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    FWIW Mitsubishi won't be leaving the NA marketplace. They are actually under the umbrella of giant Mitsubishi Corporation, they make TV's, electronics, HVAC systems, etc.They have been told that their back will be supported by Big Daddy Mitsubishi. It might be true that Mitsubishi might pull out of the U.S. market, they have the right to make that decision. Their Japanese CEO has stated that they won't be leaving the U.S. market. And he's said it again and again and again. The new Mirage and the new Outlander, especially the plug-in hybrid Outlander due out in 2015 now, make this decision more solid for Mitsubishi. Remember, they own an automotive factory in Normal, IL, too. They're here for the long haul. BTW-their Warranty, 10 years and 100,000 miles on your powertrains, they, along with Hyundai/Kia, are the best in the business. They offer that similar Warranty because former CEO Finbarr O'Neill brought it with him to Mitsubishi from Hyundai, where he was CEO for a bit. Smartly, they have retained it. Who knows how many sales it has secured for Mitsubishi.
    Last edited by Mitsuman; 01-07-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the site. We all love cars here. Im very glad your liking it!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome , keep us informed on the gas mileage , etc..