Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has a lift/hoist in their garage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear that Fummins. I hope the repairs goes smoothly. You're handy but that sounds like a headache. My own house is old, and some days I can barely keep on top of everything.

But I did have the furnace and natural gas fireplace inspected at 7:30 AM this morning; and I ended up ordering a whole new furnace, as well as an AC unit. Hopefully I save money in the long run. Houses are fun!

Edit sorry.. apparently my new furnace is gonna drain 1 litre of water every hour. So maybe some of my cellar dampness issues will be solved. Hopefully my skin doesn't get all dried out in the process.

Last edited by dspace9; 09-26-2020 at 09:09 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No way I'd trust one of those cracker jack lifts. But that's just me. I'm fine crawling under my vehicle's to do basic stuff. I actually prefer to lay on the ground vs a creeper even.

I guess you're right. I'll just stick to doing this Attachment 19339 But that doesn't seem very safe. It looks like he's welding pretty close to the gas tank.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eventually I want to get one of some kind. Kneeling and laying on the floor are things I can't really do anymore.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Yeah, kneeling on cold concrete floor sucks. I still do for some "quick" jobs that end up taking hours thanks to rust and broken bolts.

I guess in reality I can't get a vehicle high enough to walk under anyways. I'm more looking to be able to replace suspension and brakes, the odd transmission or engine. Just something to make it easier, quicker, and less janky than using a floor jack and some failure prone jack stands. That single post does look pretty sketchy...The scissor lifts look way more stable to me but the cheapo entry level models I was looking at have thin(ish)flat steel plates that swing out from the platform to lift the vehicle.
    Neither the single post or the cheapo scissor lifts are ALI certified which isn't a deal breaker but isn't confidence inspiring. The maxjax on the other hand are certified/tested. But I'd have to cut and smash a decent chunk of floor out, tie it into the existing floor with rebar, and fill it back in with some proper strength concrete. I'd guess a couple grand or so just for the floor if I did most of the work meself(beer included). On second thought I'd probably just hire it out, then I can blame someone else when a car falls on my head.

I'm pretending my basement is fine btw. Cut out the old drywall last night and I still have no idea where tf water got in? I found a drain for a window well plugged with clay and crap, hopefully clearing that out will magically cure all...
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Window wells, some furnaces leak.. check your hot water heater. Hopefully not a crack in the foundation. Make sure water is draining away from your house outside. So many things. Probably basement window from the sounds of it. GL

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I know, wrong forum for this topic. I should be posting on the garagejournal forum but I like it here.

I'm looking at getting a hoist of some kind for my garage at home. It's a tiny 20wx21deep garage but has 10 1/2' ceiling. I know a few of you have quickjacks that work for you. I want something that'll lift higher, working on the floor sucks. A 2 post would be ideal but I just don't have the room, 4 post is out. So far the two lifts that I think would work best for me are a "6000lb" scissor lift Attachment 19300 that lift around 48" high and a more sketchy looking single post That can lift up to 6' Attachment 19299. I'm leaning towards the sketchy single post. Has anyone used one of these things?
    I've got the same type of lift as your first photo shows. Its a mid-rise scissor lift. I bought it two years ago from Harbor Freight and I LOVE IT! I do some repairs and restorations here at the house and have always worked on the ground. This thing has saved my back 100 times already.
    Yes, it looks scary, but no it's totally safe. I've lived under-car lifts for nearly 30 years and I can tell you it's build to the same spec and has the same safety features as every other lift sold. If I trust it to hold a classic car, I trust it to hold up while it's over my head.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrfixit For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-01-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I know, wrong forum for this topic. I should be posting on the garagejournal forum but I like it here.

I'm looking at getting a hoist of some kind for my garage at home. It's a tiny 20wx21deep garage but has 10 1/2' ceiling. I know a few of you have quickjacks that work for you. I want something that'll lift higher, working on the floor sucks. A 2 post would be ideal but I just don't have the room, 4 post is out. So far the two lifts that I think would work best for me are a "6000lb" scissor lift Attachment 19300 that lift around 48" high and a more sketchy looking single post That can lift up to 6' Attachment 19299. I'm leaning towards the sketchy single post. Has anyone used one of these things?
    I wish my ceiling was that high in mine. 8' max, but 44'x24'...that sold me on the place. house is slightly smaller than garage in fact. I was a bit P/O'd about the height until I saw one neighbour that has a corrugated steel quonset garage that was caved in, snow load probably.
    I figure I'll just make do with jackstands...my buddy had a nice setup with a grease pit, should've snapped it up when he split with the wife.
    Sucks about the water in your basement. I dug up around mine last year to install new drain tile, works great but took me all summer working solo.
    Last edited by strawboss; 10-01-2020 at 07:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-31-2021)

I've used lifts for a little over 20 years. At my old shop they had variety of 2 post lifts from nice newer 12,000lb bendpak to sketchy as hell 1970's worn out zero safety worn out trash. They old stuff slowly got removed. It took a few us refusing to work under them to get that done though. I pooped my pants a few times when the arms kicked out from under a car minutes after walking out from under it. The arms were bent, bushings worn out and there were no locks to stop the arms. But we did lots of sketchy stuff there, work under cars held up with the front end loader that had the forks welded back together more than once. They were always getting bent too.
    I wouldn't work under something I didn't feel was safe anymore. Being broken or dead sucks.

Maybe I'll just get the scissor lift.
    Mirage videos:

I ended up ordering a bendpak scissor lift back in Feburary...Last I heard I won't be seeing it this year because covid, shipping container shortages etc.... In the past few months Babco (Bendpaks Canadian distributor) removed all lift prices from their website.

And now I see the price of the same lift direct from Bendpak Usa is $3200usd(about $4000cad). I was quoted $3200 Cad shipped to my door back in Feburary from Babco. I assume babco doesn't want to sell me the lift for what they quoted me and are waiting for me to quit asking about it. Time will tell. I'll check back in Feburary.

Just for ****s, someone else should inquire about the same lift from Babco and see what price and eta they give you.

Edit: well scratch that....I just got an email from Babco.
    And scratch that email, the co-owner just called me and explained I should be seeing it in the new year and they're honoring the price they quoted me. Right now that lift is selling for $4000...yay!

Last edited by Fummins; 12-23-2021 at 08:22 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-23-2021),strawboss (12-23-2021),Top_Fuel (12-23-2021)