Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who has a lift/hoist in their garage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I look forward to hearing your experiences with that scissor lift. Thought about doing the same here because of low ceiling so seeing it work for someone else would be cool.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I look forward to hearing your experiences with that scissor lift. Thought about doing the same here because of low ceiling so seeing it work for someone else would be cool.
    If I don't get one now I never will, other stuff always seems to come up. I may have to re-pour a section of floor if the hoist starts falling over. And might have to look into a highlift garage door setup to get the tracks and opener out of the way. Then add on a 12-16' long extension so I can fit more junk inside, and

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (12-31-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If I don't get one now I never will, other stuff always seems to come up. I may have to re-pour a section of floor if the hoist starts falling over. And might have to look into a highlift garage door setup to get the tracks and opener out of the way. Then add on a 12-16' long extension so I can fit more junk inside, and
    you can always consider buying a roll up garage door. Or a side mounted motor on your current garage door and just close the door before hoisting the car up.

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    you can always consider buying a roll up garage door. Or a side mounted motor on your current garage door and just close the door before hoisting the car up.
    I have 1 double door 16' wide I believe? 7' tall, it hangs down about 3' below the ceiling.

I was thinking of what you're describing, I've always called it a highlift setup/conversion... https://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instr...conversion.php
    I could probably get away without doing that as the opener is in the center of the garage and there's about a 7 1/2' space between it and the track. In theory it should be fine as long as the door isn't opened with a car raised up. I'd have to idiot proof that. It usually doesn't open from the outside if I have the lights on inside(cheapo amazon led tubes) cause they mess up the signal from the remotes somehow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    One big garage door is so much more practical than a 2 car garage with 2 doors. You open your 16' door up and you have that much wiggle room to put stuff in an out of.

My point was gonna be that everyone lately seems to gravitate to 2 separate doors for their 2 car garage.

I have one of those roll up doors at work, on the exterior of a regular steel bay door. Sometimes the roll up freezes in the freezing rain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

My hoist is slowly getting closer.....I just got a call from a sales rep at babco asking if I still wanted the one I ordered....Yup...So now I hurry up and wait. I just received an emailed invoice but the eta on it says April. I hope that's just a copy and paste from last year. I will update next year when it shows up.

Yeah, kneeling on cold concrete floor sucks. I still do for some "quick" jobs that end up taking hours thanks to rust and broken bolts.

I guess in reality I can't get a vehicle high enough to walk under anyways. I'm more looking to be able to replace suspension and brakes, the odd transmission or engine. Just something to make it easier, quicker, and less janky than using a floor jack and some failure prone jack stands. That single post does look pretty sketchy...The scissor lifts look way more stable to me but the cheapo entry level models I was looking at have thin(ish)flat steel plates that swing out from the platform to lift the vehicle.
    Neither the single post or the cheapo scissor lifts are ALI certified which isn't a deal breaker but isn't confidence inspiring. The maxjax on the other hand are certified/tested. But I'd have to cut and smash a decent chunk of floor out, tie it into the existing floor with rebar, and fill it back in with some proper strength concrete. I'd guess a couple grand or so just for the floor if I did most of the work meself(beer included). On second thought I'd probably just hire it out, then I can blame someone else when a car falls on my head.

I'm pretending my basement is fine btw. Cut out the old drywall last night and I still have no idea where tf water got in? I found a drain for a window well plugged with clay and crap, hopefully clearing that out will magically cure all...
    Over one year later I finally started patching the big 4x6 chunks of drywall I ripped out. 1 more year and it'll be ready for paint.

I guess the wife is right, I never do finish what I start lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Over one year later I finally started patching the big 4x6 chunks of drywall I ripped out. 1 more year and it'll be ready for paint.

I guess the wife is right, I never do finish what I start lol
    That's not entirely true Fummins, you got kids right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    That's not entirely true Fummins, you got kids right?
    This is true.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-13-2022 at 08:09 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The MaxJax is a popular 2-post lift. It's around $1800 from Costco (shipped). You need a decent concrete floor so you can bolt the posts down. But you can unbolt them and roll them into a corner. This is probably the best bang for the buck out there.

I almost went with this lift...but 98% of the time I wouldn't be using it and I just didn't want the 2 posts taking up space in my garage. Plus I have garage door openers that would limit how high I could lift a car. No matter what lift I have, it will never get a car high enough for me to stand under in my existing garage.

I went with an EZ Carlift. It's the same price as a MaxJax, but it's a lot more portable. It will lift a car 26 inches. It's purely mechanical and goes up/down with a cordless drill. Since I can't get a car very high in my garage, it works fine for my purposes. But it's not for everyone. It also only lifts 4400 pounds.

Here's my Mirage...only partially lifted. This is probably about 3/4 as high as it will go...

Attachment 19303
    Is that a GSX or GST I spy in the background?