Thread: safe for cvt to be overfilled????

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

safe for cvt to be overfilled????

Just at the dealer for the third time today. They did a fluid change in my cvt.. and over filled it a lot. About 1cm above the bend.

Then they drained it down and i checked it again.
    It was just at the bottom of the bend.. and the tech tells me. Its fine there. Unlike an engine there are no Pistons to hit the oil so better over then low.

(I don't really believe that)
    I did not push then, drove it 50 and checked it again and it was s little higher, which i could not accept
    So I'm back at the dealer getting them to put at as close to the top of the H Mark as possible and if they can't.. put it a little low and give me some fluid to fill it slowly..

Am i being too paranoid?
    How much over is still safe?

These things are a pita to get check the proper level. Scan tool, check cvt temp, compare to chart in service manual......I even took once took a car that was only a few months old in 2014 to the dealer to verify the fluid level was correct cause it looked low on the stick. The mitsu dildo just asked how long it's been running, which was only 20-30 mins, then said it's fine....

I usually drain from the drain plug and measure how much comes out. 95% of the time it's 2.5L so that's what I put back in.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    No, it's definitely not a good thing to be overfilled. The belt and pulley are located above the static fluid level. Too much fluid and that will cause aeration which is a bad thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-25-2020),poorman1 (09-28-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    just an update...
    due to the inability of the service tech to get the fluid level even close to right.
    (on the third attempt the fluid was not even on the stick)
    i got the dealer to give me 1.5 liters of fluid and i stood in the parking lot slowly
    adding fluid with the engine running until i got it around the H lines.
    the fan kicked in once so i can only hope I'm close to where it should be hot.
    ill have to see if my bluetooth obd2 reader can give me trans temp
    and research what the temp should be and check it again
    it might be 2 mm higher then the mark...right now...

WTF dont they have a darker fluid so it can be read easily ??

lesson learned... DONT DEAL WITH THE DEALER.

Lol the oem fluid is pretty clear. The klondike stuff I use is more of a gold color like engine oil but it's so thin it runs off the stick almost instantly especially when it's hot making it even harder to see the exact level on the stick.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)