Thread: is it true that Mitsubishi is thinking of leaving Canada?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

is it true that Mitsubishi is thinking of leaving Canada?

Tell me it's not so...
    Who will do the warranty?
    (I heard a rumour it could be Dodge)
    Can i drive\tow across the border for warranty work at a US dealer?

I love my new little car.. but this is having me freak out s little bit

(I read this last weekend but now i can't find the article. So I'm hoping it was s bad dream. If you find a link post it)

I wouldn't loose sleep over it as long as the forum is still up and running. I wouldn't not buy a new one even if the rumor was true.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nutpantz View Post
    Tell me it's not so...

(I read this last weekend but now i can't find the article. So I'm hoping it was s bad dream. If you find a link post it)
    I've wondered about that myself, and I have over 3 years left of my Mirage's powertrain warranty. To be honest in 7 years almost owning my Mirage, I haven't found the 10 year warranty to really be much more than a sales pitch. A lot of stuff simply isn't covered. Like my interior centre console dash light that is out on one side, I don't see my dealer fixing that.

Anyway I think the Mirage overall is a higher quality car... but somehow the cheapest car you can buy. I think that is the gamble buying Mitsubishi products. I saw on cable TV news out of Toronto recently saying Mitsubishi sales are down in Canada over 57%.. .so that's a tough cookie to swallow for any business... and Mitsu Motors north america is always known to be on shakey ground. Not sure why. Maybe the Nissan connection was a bad idea. I think Mitsubishi is gonna get serviced by Nissan if anyone if they go flop in Canada.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mitsu Motors north america is always known to be on shakey ground. Not sure why. Maybe the Nissan connection was a bad idea.
    Mitsubishi's problems started decades ago when they entered the North American market as a captive import, and worsened with their ties with the DaimlerChrysler experiment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Mitsubishi's problems started decades ago when they entered the North American market as a captive import, and worsened with their ties with the DaimlerChrysler experiment.
    Diamond Star motors. People still associate Mitsubishi with Dodge. And I mean they still have a connection of sorts, with the Mirage being sold as a clone Dodge Attitude in Mexico. I think that's just pure coincidence and ironic, not really much to do with Diamond star motors' history. The Attitude was a Hyundai Accent clone at one point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nutpantz View Post
    Tell me it's not so...

I compared the Canadian website to the USA one. Both websites are sharing new models coming in 2021, which seems promising.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/newsroom/all/

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Where did you hear this? Source?

I don't think there's any truth to this rumor.