Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EVAP code - busted fuel pump housing - Fixed!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

EVAP code - busted fuel pump housing - Fixed!

Yesterday I took my 2015 Mirage DE 82,675 miles to get a smoke test because it had the check engine light on for months with an eVap code. My mechanic said it was coming from the gas tank. Today he said I need a new Pump because the plastic is rotted causing leak of gas. Almost a $1000 because he had to get the part from the dealership. He didn't want to put in an aftermarket one. It won't be available until October 1st. I have been driving around with a Rejection sticker almost 2mths.
    I had looked up on RockAuto but I'm not sure what I'm looking for because it doesn't come up as a fuel pump.

Couple months ago I replaced my own front brakes with pads. Thanks to the help of my co-worker in his driveway in the hot sun. �� My Rear brakes I haven't attempted yet. May pay someone for that. My Father said I should sell it after all that work is done because it's still valuable. It's paid for $3600 from the police auction back in March 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by newagetomboy View Post
    Name:  IMG_20200924_154550__01__01.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  83.4 KB
    I saw the crack. A new one will be from dealer $900. No after market one's.

UPDATE: Fixed!

I had bought the one he ordered from Mitsubishi...$1108.73 1 year warranty. I have to drive it to put 100 miles on it and come back for my new inspection sticker.

Moderator's note: Thanks newagetomboy for sharing the fix. Too often we hear problems but don’t get the resolution.

Last edited by Eggman; 10-06-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Yesterday I took my 2015 Mirage DE 82,675 miles to get a smoke test because it had the check engine light on for months with an eVap code. My mechanic said it was coming from the gas tank. Today he said I need a new Pump because the plastic is rotted causing leak of gas. Almost a $1000 because he had to get the part from the dealership. He didn't want to put in an aftermarket one. It won't be available until October 1st. I have been driving around with a Rejection sticker almost 2mths.
    I had looked up on RockAuto but I'm not sure what I'm looking for because it doesn't come up as a fuel pump.

Couple months ago I replaced my own front brakes with pads. Thanks to the help of my co-worker in his driveway in the hot sun. �� My Rear brakes I haven't attempted yet. May pay someone for that. My Father said I should sell it after all that work is done because it's still valuable. It's paid for $3600 from the police auction back in March 2017.
    Buy a used pump from car-part.com should be able to find a low mileage one for under $200. They're stupid easy to install. I'd recommend doing it yourself and save $800. They're easy and you can access it from under the back seat which is also easy to remove.

Here are some pics
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/7124

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-27-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Yesterday I took my 2015 Mirage DE 82,675 miles to get a smoke test because it had the check engine light on for months with an eVap code. My mechanic said it was coming from the gas tank. Today he said I need a new Pump because the plastic is rotted causing leak of gas.
    Question - have you used any fuel system cleaners, additives or treatments?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Mechanic breaks fuel pump-says it was like that lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    No I haven't yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Mechanic breaks fuel pump-says it was like that lol.
    Damn probably

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Buy a used pump from car-part.com should be able to find a low mileage one for under $200. They're stupid easy to install. I'd recommend doing it yourself and save $800. They're easy and you can access it from under the back seat which is also easy to remove.

Here are some pics
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/7124

I don't know how to replace it. Besides he has it up on a lift and the back seat up.

This gets stranger every day......Well, you don't need the car on a lift to replace the fuel pump in these cars. If your mechanic dropped your fuel tank you need to find a smarter mechanic who does a little homework. Unless of course your car is filled with garbage and the guy just doesn't want to deal with it, which in that case ignore my 2nd and 3rd sentences.

The instructions to remove the fuel pump assembly are in that link I posted earlier. It's even got pictures. You don't need to disassemble it. should take 10 mins or so to remove the pump. 20-30 if you have a beer or 6 while working.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

12. The Following User Says Thank You to newagetomboy For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    This is why Mitsubishi may not make it in North America. A 2015 Yaris fuel pump is under $200.

I would consider a slightly used one for way less.

http://www.weberbrothersauto.com/pro...YaAvM_EALw_wcB

Last edited by Mark; 09-25-2020 at 06:50 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-25-2020)