Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New owner of a 2020 gray ES 5 speed. Couldn’t be happier

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree! It’s the simplest new car you can buy. For example, I had the issue of my master cylinder not flowing properly on the Yaris (common non-fixable issue) causing the clutch to shudder occasionally. Having a cable clutch in the Mirage is a nicer experience IMO. It seems to be a very simple, easy to work on car that uses proved technology. Honda’s Earthdream engines come to mind.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMirage For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (09-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMirage View Post
    I agree! It’s the simplest new car you can buy. For example, I had the issue of my master cylinder not flowing properly on the Yaris (common non-fixable issue) causing the clutch to shudder occasionally. Having a cable clutch in the Mirage is a nicer experience IMO. It seems to be a very simple, easy to work on car that uses proved technology. Honda’s Earthdream engines come to mind.
    Very easy to work on indeed. Got my second oil change done in 3 months time... And took 10-15min to drain and fill. I also have a fumoto drain plug so it makes oil changes a breeze.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mirage is the most basic transportation you can buy nowadays. The Yaris too, but after hearing your comments, I'm not sure how great the Toyota Yaris is. My only complaint about my Mirage is that at 6'1 and about 155 lbs, I honestly wish I had a car with more legroom. The problem is, lots of CUVs etc are no better, so unless I get a Mustang coupe, I really am out of luck.

I just find the Mirage's visibility is quite low because of my height. But again, quibbles for a great car, and just facts of life with basic transportation. The car is refreshing to drive.
    Mine has no AC and has roll down windows in the back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mirage is the most basic transportation you can buy nowadays. The Yaris too, but after hearing your comments, I'm not sure how great the Toyota Yaris is. My only complaint about my Mirage is that at 6'1 and about 155 lbs, I honestly wish I had a car with more legroom. The problem is, lots of CUVs etc are no better, so unless I get a Mustang coupe, I really am out of luck.

I just find the Mirage's visibility is quite low because of my height. But again, quibbles for a great car, and just facts of life with basic transportation. The car is refreshing to drive.
    Mine has no AC and has roll down windows in the back.
    Wait...power windows in front and roll down in the back? Never heard of that! Interesting.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-28-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Wait...power windows in front and roll down in the back? Never heard of that! Interesting.
    Yea, seriously. I should take a photo. A real pain actually lol. You basically have to drive with the back windows up. I rolled the back windows down one time, and then had my front windows up, and subsequently went on the freeway, and instantly I got a weird wind pressure effect going on. Then I couldn't get the back right window rolled up. My arms are extremely long, but not that long!

So be glad you don't have a Mirage with roll down windows in the back. Funniest thing though, real conversation piece.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (09-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We have a similar build it seems. The Yaris was genuinely awful in the comfort department. My legs would cramp and my right ankle would be in pain after about 10 minutes of driving. That was with the seat all the way back. There could be a tad more legroom in the Mirage for me, but it’s not uncomfortable. And it’s easy enough to stretch my legs on cruise control. Adjustable seat is all the way down and visibility is okay for me

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I believe it’s a Canadian/European offering on a lot of cars. Very rare in the states though

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I believe it’s a Canadian/European offering on a lot of cars. Very rare in the states though
    I guess the way I see it with my Mirage's overall room for the driver: the Mirage is actually remarkable what it gets out of such a small wheelbase. Same idea behind the original Fiat 500's and Minis.

But still I wonder how much better a car like a Buick Regal Sportback is. My friend has a newer Malibu, and we took the car to the beach one time, and it's hard to get the car in and out of parking spots where everything is crowded at the beach front because it's expensive. And my Mirage is sooo maneuverable.

Still, I won't get another Mirage for the simple fact of trying something else. I find Subaru's look pretty hardy like my Mirage. Old Mercedes too but not their new glitzy stuff.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That’s very understandable. I don’t mind sticking with something for a long time myself. I plan to get 10-15 years and at least 200K if not more miles out of this car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Thank you! This forum is actually what really sold me on the Mirage. IÂ’ve considered one over the years, but seeing the glowing reviews and reliability from users on this forum is what did it for me. ItÂ’s just a fantastic simple little car. And having 3 cylinders with just about the lightest weight you can have is really neat to me. I managed to get to 50mpg reported on back roads with the AC off and windows up. In the manual model, which really impressed me
    Congrats on your new Mirage & welcome to the forum!

I also like the 5-speed manual powertrain. I like small hatchbacks (like the Mirage) that are affordable, reliable, & very economical. Sadly, most American car critics miss the best attributes of the Mirage. For an entry level car, the ES manual is nicely equipped. I believe the shifting will improve some over time.