Thread: Manual transmission foils another carjacking attempt

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts

Manual transmission foils another carjacking attempt

Stick shift foils suspects' attempt to carjack 77-year-old woman in St. Louis

Once the suspects got into the vehicle, they were unable to operate the vehicle’s manual transmission and ran away, police said.

Two suspects attempted to carjack a 77-year old woman on Friday but ran off after they were not able to operate the vehicle's manual transmission.

According to the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, the attempted carjacking happened in the 3400 block of Hawthorne Blvd around 1:39 pm Friday afternoon. Two male suspects approached a 77-year-old woman as she was getting out of her vehicle and pointed guns at her, demanding her car keys.

The victim complied with the suspects, who then got into her 2004 BMW.

However, they were unable to operate the vehicle’s manual transmission and ran away, police said.

The victim was not injured in the incident, and the vehicle keys were later found nearby.

Link to original story.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Basic (09-29-2020),Dirk Diggler (09-29-2020),dspace9 (09-29-2020),Fummins (09-29-2020),inuvik (09-29-2020),precisionxt (09-29-2020),strawboss (09-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love seeing stories like this!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Stick shift foils suspects' attempt to carjack 77-year-old woman in St. Louis

Once the suspects got into the vehicle, they were unable to operate the vehicle’s manual transmission and ran away, police said.

Two suspects attempted to carjack a 77-year old woman on Friday but ran off after they were not able to operate the vehicle's manual transmission.

According to the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, the attempted carjacking happened in the 3400 block of Hawthorne Blvd around 1:39 pm Friday afternoon. Two male suspects approached a 77-year-old woman as she was getting out of her vehicle and pointed guns at her, demanding her car keys.

The victim complied with the suspects, who then got into her 2004 BMW.

However, they were unable to operate the vehicle’s manual transmission and ran away, police said.

The victim was not injured in the incident, and the vehicle keys were later found nearby.

Link to original story.
    If you are going to steal cars for a living, you should know how to drive a manual transmission. Talk about unqualified crooks!

I think it's cool that a 77 year old lady is still driving a manual transmission these days. Young men (losers) who pick on elderly ladies need to get a life!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Manual transmission - new-age "The Club"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Manual transmission - new-age "The Club"
    I've owned all manual vehicles since the 1980's. Whenever someone has asked to borrow one of my vehicle, I never have to tell them "no" (making it an awkward moment). I just tell them it's a manual, & they just respond by saying - "OK, I will ask someone else." I can't tell you how many times this has happened over the years?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I need to find me a Sugar Mama who drives a manual

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)