Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another DIY WAI

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Another DIY WAI

I've been interested in a warm air intake from the start as living in the Great White North is hard on machinery as well as people.
    I started with the dryer duct buckshee install and have been following Top Fuel's 1.0 & 2.0 version of his WAI so thought I would try one of my own.
    The reason it took so long is that I had to wait for a Kenny's U-Pull to have a scrap Mirage handy to me as I didn't want to hack up the stock air box and find I didn't like it, or worse.....

So with a sacrificial airbox in hand I drilled a 1-7/8" hole in the back of it.Name:  Aircleanerhole.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  95.9 KB
    Next I ground the hole out to 2" Name:  Aircleanergrinder.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  94.8 KB
    A 2" hole saw would have been too "sloppy" as I wanted the tube to have a friction/sliding fit....
    Then I took some plumber's abs glue and some abs dust and glued the 2" ABS tube which I got on Amazon to the air box..Name:  Aircleanertube.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  92.5 KBName:  Aircleanerprofiletube.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  95.3 KB
    The plastic of the air box isn't ABS so it didn't fuse to the tube as well as desired but that's what JB Weld is for, right?
    Name:  Aircleanertubeglue.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  86.3 KB
    I bought a 2" silicone elbow from Jegs and fitted it to the airbox...the final install has a 6" black nylon zip tie for a hose clamp.
    Name:  Aircleanerelbowpainted.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  93.0 KB
    Next the 2' aluminum tube, cut to 6"
    Name:  Aircleanertubepainted.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  92.9 KB
    It went in nicely, I'll add a silicone rubber sleeve tomorrow to keep the heat in.Name:  Aircleanermounted.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  97.1 KB
    I did have to trim the (resonator?)tube inside by 2", engine still runs fine like this....Name:  Aircleanermountedinside.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  94.1 KB
    Time for supper!

Last edited by strawboss; 09-30-2020 at 02:33 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-30-2020),Fummins (09-30-2020),inuvik (09-29-2020),Top_Fuel (09-30-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    How much temperature rise do you get out of the setup? (ambient vs intake temp)
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I gained 15 to 20 deg C intake temp over ambient,depending on my road speed.Higher road speed seems to draft more heat away from the intake tube, it sits 1/2" above the exhaust manifold.

But I still have to Poprivet a sheetmetal cage/guard/well to the exhaust manifold's sheetmetal shell around the WAI tube's intake and cover the tube with some scrap silicone sheet rubber to minimize heat loss.
    Last edited by strawboss; 09-30-2020 at 02:24 AM. Reason: clarity

6. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can I ask if you've seen any MPG increase from this mod?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    This particular one has only been installed for a few miles, but the last (makeshift) one showed a modest increase in FE.
    Enough so I invested time/money in a more permanent version.
    I remember a car I had years ago that had a sheetmetal "stove" over the exhaust manifold with ducting leading to the snorkel for the air cleaner which had a diverter "flap" that was moved by a bi-metallic coil spring that moved one way when warm , another way when cold...so in the winter the carburetor got warm air, in summer cool air!It was a Ford...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I have. It works especially nice when combined with a grill block in freezing temperatures.

This is one modification that actually gives a return on the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    I remember a car I had years ago that had a sheetmetal "stove" over the exhaust manifold with ducting leading to the snorkel for the air cleaner which had a diverter "flap" that was moved by a bi-metallic coil spring that moved one way when warm , another way when cold...so in the winter the carburetor got warm air, in summer cool air!It was a Ford...
    Lots of older cars had this feature. My Jeep has it. It helps warm-up time too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Great work! Thanks for the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    ...I had to wait for a Kenny's U-Pull to have a scrap Mirage handy to me as I didn't want to hack up the stock air box and find I didn't like it, or worse.....
    Yeah...the rear of the stock airbox is something like $80. Don't ask me how I know.

I guess I need to get off my butt and finally make a WAI 2.0 how-to.

For those who haven't seen it, my WAI 2.0 is using the same principals that strawboss is. Here is a pic of the final product.

In my testing, I was seeing temperatures 50+ degrees above ambient with this setup. Live in a super-cold climate? Block off the factory snorkel opening and draw all of the incoming air from the rear. You will see temperatures of 90 degrees above ambient.

You aren't going to pick up 5 mpg with this mod, but it might be worth 1.5 or so.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

strawboss (09-30-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Great work! Thanks for the photos.

Yeah...the rear of the stock airbox is something like $80. Don't ask me how I know.

I guess I need to get off my butt and finally make a WAI 2.0 how-to.

For those who haven't seen it, my WAI 2.0 is using the same principals that strawboss is. Here is a pic of the final product.

In my testing, I was seeing temperatures 50+ degrees above ambient with this setup. Live in a super-cold climate? Block off the factory snorkel opening and draw all of the incoming air from the rear. You will see temperatures of 90 degrees above ambient.

You aren't going to pick up 5 mpg with this mod, but it might be worth 1.5 or so.
    Huh this is pretty neat! Looks fairly simple to boot.

Perhaps something that could be somewhat easily detached / disengaged in more temperate climates, as it's cold here in NS usually -10 C or so in the winter, but not *crazy* cold like it is in Northern Ontario / Quebec or the Prairies (or the US Midwest).

Those places get like Mars cold, it's kind of wild. -51? Pfft, Tuesday.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 09-30-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    ...Perhaps something that could be somewhat easily detached/disengaged in more temperate climates...
    I had to ruin an airbox to figure out how to do that. But I can install/remove it without tools. I'll try to get details posted this weekend.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

javensbukan (09-30-2020)