Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 ES Manual: My Lil' Truckster...

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Ummmm, am I the only one that remembers this guy posting a week or so back. Has some lexus and kids in college? Decided not to buy a Mirage after a lengthy thread
    Oh yeah, he is a former design engineer for Toyota guy...

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I went up yonder with the blue badger to buy that camper top. I don't like it, but my son races BMX. And it is great for keeping his bike and all accoutrements secure and dry. It's not the same blue, but I only paid $400 for it. I bought it from a dealer with an older blue Ram who had that top. Anyway, the dealer up there was begging me to sell my truck to the dealership. He said he'd not seen one as old as mine that the quad cab door open, let alone as smooth as mine do. Everything on the truck works. And it is not stock. Other guys have dyno'd with the same setup as me and make ~775 lb-ft of torque. Not a lot by today's standards, but it makes the truck quite peppy. No DEF and quite good mpg for the size and heft of the truck.
    What else do you have done to your truck to make 775lb/ft?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Decided not to buy a Mirage after a lengthy thread
    Well yeah, that is true. I guess I haven't really fully given up on it. A Mirage is a helluva vehicle. I just happen to find one that I like. I'm negotiating with a dealer now. If I can get it low enough, I'm going to go ahead and do it.

Besides the fact that I worked as a design engineer, I'm a car guy. I know a valuable vehicle when I see it. One of the things that has sort of swayed me back on the prowl for one is ... what if Mitsubishi does like most other manufacturers and completely stop building vehicles with a manual transmission? Oh that would suck. So, if I can work out a good enough deal now, I'll go ahead and buy it. I'm certain I will keep it for 10 years, at least the length of the powertrain warranty.

I hope you guys appreciate your Mirages. I'm a big dude, I look (and smell) a lot like Shrek, like a middle linebacker. I played 1st year of college football (but got hurt) as a linebacker. That's been a few years back. I also roadraced sportbikes in WERA (#701). I don't say these things to brag. I say them to describe what I look like, what I'm built like, heck I am the kind of guy most would expect to make fun of a Mirage. However, I think the Mirage is one of the most badass cars on the road. Why? Because Mitsubishi went for simple, inexpensive, reliable and valuable. I think it hit its mark. And I have respect for that. Don't let haters sway your opinion based on a 3-tapper 78 hp engine. I say it's a "tapper" because with only 78 hp, it doesn't really bang ... it just kind of taps. But tapping conserves fuel, so I'll take it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What else do you have done to your truck to make 775lb/ft?
    When a turbo is involved, especially in a diesel, it doesn't really take much. Here's the very limited things I've done.

I changed to larger fuel injectors. I did this myself. They are the same (old school mechanical) injectors used in RVs that run this same engine (20 years ago). I did all this stuff in probably 2001 or 2002.

I added a fueling box. Well, I've had a few different fueling boxes, but none were as "clean" and smooth as the Edge EZ.

I change a fitting on the turbo wastegate that would hold the wastegate closed longer to increase the boost. Mine makes about 29 pounds of boost.

Huge air filter from some Kenworth tractor, just lets air into the turbo easier.

Straight 5" exhaust. That's probably all that adds power. I also removed the silencer ring from the turbo so it makes a nicer louder turbo sound.

None of these things have made the truck less reliable, except where the stock clutch was concerned. The stock clutch would slip when I would pull a hill in 6th. Not long after the slipping started it broke the pilot bearing (not what I was expecting).

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I went and drove a 2020 Mirage 5 speed today. I mainly went because it was for sale locally and I wanted to see if I could work a decent deal on it. But, it seems they are fairly proud of this one. I do have a possible deal on a different, if that pans out, I'm going to buy it.

But I wanted mention 3 things. 1. The seat, even as low as I could get it, still seemed a bit high for my tastes. But on the drive, I seemed to have no issue with it. 2. The blinker stalk had an inner ring that had an ON and OFF with arrows pointing which way for on and which way for off. This car didn't have fog lights so I couldn't figure out what that was. 3. This one seemed to have more power to it than the one I drove ~3 years ago.

Sure, it has low power. But it honestly felt like it was plenty. More than I remembered. I took it out on the interstate, I wanted to get it up to 70 mph and see if it seemed to have enough hp to cruise pleasantly. At 70 mph with the cruise, it felt really good. Good cruising power, and not screaming rpm. I was happy with its performance. And also, it seemed like the gearing and gear spacing were a good mix for around town and interstate. However, it was hilarious how easy the clutch pedal pushed. It felt like I could blow the pedal down to the floor. Engaging the clutch even with extremely low clutch spring force was very linear and worked well.

During the course of every day driving I wanted to see what you guys that drive a manual Mirage on the regular, at approximately what rpm do you shift with just normal conditions. I was thinking 3,000 rpm would be about right, but during the test drive I noticed that my shifting that felt normal was at more like 4,000 rpm. What are your basic cruising shift points?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    During the course of every day driving I wanted to see what you guys that drive a manual Mirage on the regular, at approximately what rpm do you shift with just normal conditions. I was thinking 3,000 rpm would be about right, but during the test drive I noticed that my shifting that felt normal was at more like 4,000 rpm. What are your basic cruising shift points?
    Between 1,500 & 2,000 RPM. Sometimes up to 2,500 RPM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi 7milesout. To answer your shifting question: Normal shifts are around 3 grand and over, and then if I am trying to get more power, I will shift over 4k. I will stay over 45-50 mph in third gear sometimes. The 3 cylinder sounds really good to me, and the engine does not mind a bit of thrashing, within reason. The clutch is light as a feather. Gear shift itself is "ok"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Well yeah, that is true. I guess I haven't really fully given up on it. A Mirage is a helluva vehicle. I just happen to find one that I like. I'm negotiating with a dealer now. If I can get it low enough, I'm going to go ahead and do it.

Besides the fact that I worked as a design engineer, I'm a car guy. I know a valuable vehicle when I see it. One of the things that has sort of swayed me back on the prowl for one is ... what if Mitsubishi does like most other manufacturers and completely stop building vehicles with a manual transmission? Oh that would suck. So, if I can work out a good enough deal now, I'll go ahead and buy it. I'm certain I will keep it for 10 years, at least the length of the powertrain warranty.

I hope you guys appreciate your Mirages. I'm a big dude, I look (and smell) a lot like Shrek, like a middle linebacker. I played 1st year of college football (but got hurt) as a linebacker. That's been a few years back. I also roadraced sportbikes in WERA (#701). I don't say these things to brag. I say them to describe what I look like, what I'm built like, heck I am the kind of guy most would expect to make fun of a Mirage. However, I think the Mirage is one of the most badass cars on the road. Why? Because Mitsubishi went for simple, inexpensive, reliable and valuable. I think it hit its mark. And I have respect for that. Don't let haters sway your opinion based on a 3-tapper 78 hp engine. I say it's a "tapper" because with only 78 hp, it doesn't really bang ... it just kind of taps. But tapping conserves fuel, so I'll take it.
    What about the CVT version?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I went and drove a 2020 Mirage 5 speed today. I mainly went because it was for sale locally and I wanted to see if I could work a decent deal on it. But, it seems they are fairly proud of this one. I do have a possible deal on a different, if that pans out, I'm going to buy it.

But I wanted mention 3 things. 1. The seat, even as low as I could get it, still seemed a bit high for my tastes. But on the drive, I seemed to have no issue with it. 2. The blinker stalk had an inner ring that had an ON and OFF with arrows pointing which way for on and which way for off. This car didn't have fog lights so I couldn't figure out what that was. 3. This one seemed to have more power to it than the one I drove ~3 years ago.

Sure, it has low power. But it honestly felt like it was plenty. More than I remembered. I took it out on the interstate, I wanted to get it up to 70 mph and see if it seemed to have enough hp to cruise pleasantly. At 70 mph with the cruise, it felt really good. Good cruising power, and not screaming rpm. I was happy with its performance. And also, it seemed like the gearing and gear spacing were a good mix for around town and interstate. However, it was hilarious how easy the clutch pedal pushed. It felt like I could blow the pedal down to the floor. Engaging the clutch even with extremely low clutch spring force was very linear and worked well.

The inner ring on the turn signal is for fog lights. Doesn't matter if you have fog lights or not.

The 5-speed manual powertrain is great! Shift when it feel right. When you would shift may depend on your rate of acceleration, slope of the road, etc.... Unless you are climbing up a ramp to enter an interstate highway or something, 4,000 rpms sounds pretty excessive to me.

My driving would be more like Eggman's. I seldom look at the tach. I've owned manual cars without tachometers. If I am traveling 40 mph or above, I am in 5th gear (unless climbing a steep hill). I go 25 mph in 4th gear through small towns. Low rpms = great fuel economy. I filled up today. 346 miles/7.049 gallons = 49 mpg

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The inner ring on the turn signal is for fog lights. Doesn't matter if you have fog lights or not.

The 5-speed manual powertrain is great! Shift when it feel right. When you would shift may depend on your rate of acceleration, slope of the road, etc.... Unless you are climbing up a ramp to enter an interstate highway or something, 4,000 rpms sounds pretty excessive to me.

My driving would be more like Eggman's. I seldom look at the tach. I've owned manual cars without tachometers. If I am traveling 40 mph or above, I am in 5th gear (unless climbing a steep hill). I go 25 mph in 4th gear through small towns. Low rpms = great fuel economy. I filled up today. 346 miles/7.049 gallons = 49 mpg
    Over 4000k rpm may seem excessive, but remember the Mirage is advertised as 74 HP @ like 6000 rpm; the Mirage's engine can take the higher revs, and with those small horsepower numbers, you have to really give it to get ahead in a tight situation. That happens sometimes. I have a rule sorta "when you think you should be in 4th gear, be in 3rd gear"; the owner's manual says you can be in 3rd gear up to 125 km's an hour in spurts; they word it differently, but you can drive in higher revs than even I ever do.

I have driven my Mirage @ over 5000 rpm on the freeway but I was speeding, and I wouldn't again after that 1 time because this is not he car to be driving and flipping lol.

You can also drive the Mirage real easy and slow like a lawn tractor. I drive like that all the time too. But I like to see what my car can do. The real impressive thing about the Mirage compared to most other cars, is its extremely small turning radius.

My Mirage runs great, and has never had any alignment issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)