Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 ES Manual: My Lil' Truckster...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts

2020 ES Manual: My Lil' Truckster...

Hey guys,

I'm an owner of many vehicles. Including a very large diesel pickup truck. I'm on the hunt for the perfect Mirage. The perfect Mirage sold by a reasonably intelligent dealer. Aaaaa forget it, that's impossible. Just the perfect Mirage (for me) then.

I want a 5 speed with an armrest console. Blue preferred, but could live with other colors.

My truck will do anything and everything. I've owned it for 20 years. When I think about a Mirage, I'm leaning toward the hatch because I think I would keep the rear seats folded down most of the time and haul around a few odd things here and there. Slap a couple people in the back when I'm forced to.

However, there's going to be times when I'd like to pull my cute little utility trailer around town, like to haul away limbs, yard debris and sacks of grass. My truck is a 6 speed, and I have pulled SERIOUSLY heavy. The key is to slip the clutch very very little. With that truck it is not difficult because it is a 6 speed, and 1st gear is a creeper, empty I normally start in 2nd gear. I can start off in 3rd gear with NO REVVING. The engine has so much torque even at idle, and the clutch is a 1,000 lb-ft replacement that I installed myself after the original clutch blew a pilot bearing. The point being that I have so much experience driving a manual transmission, the only trouble for a Mirage is to get rolling. Once rolling, rev match, get the clutch engaged, and then put the rock hammer down. What you'd have to NOT do, is pull out in front of traffic. The Mirage is slow on its own, towing it's going to be a rolling traffic jam for a while. So a big gap in traffic would be needed. Start off VERY slow slipping gently in 1st, get that clutch fully engaged, and then apply all 7 lb-ft of torque! I poke fun at the Mirage out of respect...

I've read some threads about towing with a Mirage. They were interesting. The point of this thread is that I think I'm going to turn my Mirage (when I get one) into "My Lil' Truckster." I say that because I won't really be hauling people around in it much. Just use the back for hauling whatever will fit. Get a hitch and tow my little utility trailer around. The truck is so large that it's overly cumbersome. It would be nice to have a "Lil' Truckster."

The most I can imagine towing would be the little utility trailer and a motorcycle or two on it. Probably want to find a way to keep the bikes more centered on the axle to keep the hitch weight minimal (I know there must be some hitch weight, but would keep it minimal). This coming weekend I have to go 140 miles north to my dad's house. He's not long for this world unfortunately and I am going there frequently to help him out. I'm going to do yardwork this weekend. I have to haul my push mower, string trimmer, leaf blower, and edger. Not much weight. It would be nice if I already had my "Lil' Truckster" to roll up there with, pulling my little utility trailer with these items on it. I'm not slapping anything that holds gas on the inside of any vehicle (except the bed of my truck).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm an owner of many vehicles. Including a very large diesel pickup truck. I'm on the hunt for the perfect Mirage. The perfect Mirage sold by a reasonably intelligent dealer. Aaaaa forget it, that's impossible. Just the perfect Mirage (for me) then.

I want a 5 speed with an armrest console. Blue preferred, but could live with other colors.

My truck will do anything and everything. I've owned it for 20 years. When I think about a Mirage, I'm leaning toward the hatch because I think I would keep the rear seats folded down most of the time and haul around a few odd things here and there. Slap a couple people in the back when I'm forced to.

However, there's going to be times when I'd like to pull my cute little utility trailer around town, like to haul away limbs, yard debris and sacks of grass. My truck is a 6 speed, and I have pulled SERIOUSLY heavy. The key is to slip the clutch very very little. With that truck it is not difficult because it is a 6 speed, and 1st gear is a creeper, empty I normally start in 2nd gear. I can start off in 3rd gear with NO REVVING. The engine has so much torque even at idle, and the clutch is a 1,000 lb-ft replacement that I installed myself after the original clutch blew a pilot bearing. The point being that I have so much experience driving a manual transmission, the only trouble for a Mirage is to get rolling. Once rolling, rev match, get the clutch engaged, and then put the rock hammer down. What you'd have to NOT do, is pull out in front of traffic. The Mirage is slow on its own, towing it's going to be a rolling traffic jam for a while. So a big gap in traffic would be needed. Start off VERY slow slipping gently in 1st, get that clutch fully engaged, and then apply all 7 lb-ft of torque! I poke fun at the Mirage out of respect...

I've read some threads about towing with a Mirage. They were interesting. The point of this thread is that I think I'm going to turn my Mirage (when I get one) into "My Lil' Truckster." I say that because I won't really be hauling people around in it much. Just use the back for hauling whatever will fit. Get a hitch and tow my little utility trailer around. The truck is so large that it's overly cumbersome. It would be nice to have a "Lil' Truckster."

The most I can imagine towing would be the little utility trailer and a motorcycle or two on it. Probably want to find a way to keep the bikes more centered on the axle to keep the hitch weight minimal (I know there must be some hitch weight, but would keep it minimal). This coming weekend I have to go 140 miles north to my dad's house. He's not long for this world unfortunately and I am going there frequently to help him out. I'm going to do yardwork this weekend. I have to haul my push mower, string trimmer, leaf blower, and edger. Not much weight. It would be nice if I already had my "Lil' Truckster" to roll up there with, pulling my little utility trailer with these items on it. I'm not slapping anything that holds gas on the inside of any vehicle (except the bed of my truck).
    Armrest will cost you at the dealership...l got one on ebay for $35...as for towing on the mirage, ldk...someone else will have to answer. l went to Sunnyside Mitsubishi in Middleburg Heights and said "l want a 2020 Mirage ES Manual in Silver" and they got one for me in less than 2 weeks...so you will find one...go to a dealer you like or be prepared to drive to get one. As for looks on sedan or hatchback they are subjective...get one you want. l got the Hatchback bc it's shorter than the sedan...but has a smaller trunk. If you want aftermarket grills/headlights/bodykit the G4 wins and has many aftermarket parts that l couldn't find on my hatchback...hope this helps.

Also...is your truck by chance a Toyota Tundra 6-speed?
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    One of the greatest threads related to using a Mirage for a hauling vehicle...

So I towed a car with my Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (09-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Instead of buying a trailer why not just buy a mower and keep it at Dad's. By the way the Mirage is not rated for towing, and I suspect your insurance company won't sign off on your plans.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Ive driven with 3 passengers and luggage in my hatch on the highway so the mirage can tow at least 500lbs not including the driver IMO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Also...is your truck by chance a Toyota Tundra 6-speed?
    No, it's WAAAAAY better than that. Ha! (Just a matter of opinion.) It is a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4X4 Quad Cab Long Bed 6 Speed Cummins. I've had it since it was born and have had very little trouble out of it. A for real 5" straight pipe. No cats, no resonator, no muffler.

Name:  BedCap.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  95.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Whew...a 20 year old Dodge truck without rusted doors and rockers?!? Those don't exist up here!

Love that powertrain combo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Instead of buying a trailer why not just buy a mower and keep it at Dad's. By the way the Mirage is not rated for towing, and I suspect your insurance company won't sign off on your plans.
    Well, I already have the trailer. I would have to guess my "cute little utility trailer" is more than 500 lbs. I think it is a 5X10. I got the biggest thing that would go through my backyard gate.

I don't really care what my insurance company would have to say about it. I don't say that being a snotty jerk. I mean that I accept responsibility for what I do. Bear in mind though that if I were to tow with the Mirage, and had an accident ... as careful as I would be while towing, it's very likely my accident would be a 1 car solo accident, or someone else's fault that really didn't have anything to do with whether or not I was towing a trailer. If I put a motorcycle on it and then get in an accident and destroy the motorcycle, that's on me. Not the insurance company.

Besides, every single vehicle I own has only liability coverage. Even the LS 460L. It makes me drive very carefully. I say that but I did Ram an Altima with my truck 2 years ago, and paid for the repair of my truck on my own. My truck didn't fair too bad. The Altima? Well, it wasn't a fair fight. It was totaled, in part because it was so old and not worth very much. I tried to Dodge the Altima. But after 20 years of behaving, the blue Badger finally got what he wanted and took one out. I tried to swerve left, but a 7,100 lb (empty, just fuel) truck doesn't react real quick.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Whew...a 20 year old Dodge truck without rusted doors and rockers?!? Those don't exist up here!

Love that powertrain combo.
    I went up yonder with the blue badger to buy that camper top. I don't like it, but my son races BMX. And it is great for keeping his bike and all accoutrements secure and dry. It's not the same blue, but I only paid $400 for it. I bought it from a dealer with an older blue Ram who had that top. Anyway, the dealer up there was begging me to sell my truck to the dealership. He said he'd not seen one as old as mine that the quad cab door open, let alone as smooth as mine do. Everything on the truck works. And it is not stock. Other guys have dyno'd with the same setup as me and make ~775 lb-ft of torque. Not a lot by today's standards, but it makes the truck quite peppy. No DEF and quite good mpg for the size and heft of the truck.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-30-2020)

Ummmm, am I the only one that remembers this guy posting a week or so back. Has some lexus and kids in college? Decided not to buy a Mirage after a lengthy thread https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...652#post115652

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)