Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Passenger Airbag light ON

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Its on the instrument cluster to the right of the speedometer. It is a red light with a picture of a stickfigure and an airbag
    Triple check all the connections under the seat then take it to a shop that can pull the airbag code. Try an independent auto body shop. A few established mechanics in my area did not have the equipment to deal with airbag system codes so I personally would go to an auto body shop.

Once you have the code you can begin to troubleshoot.

On a side note - I had this happen to me more than once, both times were due to moisture/liquid on the seat sensor. The second time the light came on (seat was slightly damp) I punched the pressure sensor in the seat bottom (where your butt would go) a few times and to my absolute amazement the light went off and stayed off. Make sure to curse the sensor while you are punching it. It was the first time in my life the God of frustration took pity on me. I suspect what happened is that the repeated force did something to the pressure sensor, maybe freed part of it up? No idea.

Sounds crazy but that's just what worked for me.

Last edited by gone.a; 10-02-2020 at 09:55 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

fc321 (10-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

I had found one of the connections under the seat was loose. When I went to drive the car over to the Dealer the offending light has turned back off. So i cancelled the appt with the Dealer and will just keep an eye on it. I think I may wrap some mechanics wire around that connection to make sure it does not come loose again so easy.

Thank for all your help. Hopefully the problem has been resolved.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-03-2020),Eggman (10-03-2020),MetroMPG (10-05-2020),Top_Fuel (10-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Airbag light problem is back (24 hours later)

Guess i will be taking it to the Dealer on Wednesday. Will wait until Wed because problem is so intermittent.

i took this photo while the car was parked but that airbag light stays lit the entire time I am driving, it now never turns off. When I first started the car this morning the airbag light turned off about 3 minutes into the drive but then 5 minutes later it came back on.

God-damn these stupid farking sensors and their false alarms. Any goddamn excuse to get Customer into the Dealer for service. This is the last new car i ever buy

Update: Punching the seat did not have any effect. Tried that already. Reminds me back in 2003 when I was a PC repair technician and I could not figure out why a PC would not power on even after replacing the power supply as well as the motherboard. A senior technician came over and said "Lets try an old Chinese remedy" and then he kicked the side of the PC. Unfortunately that did not work either.
    Last edited by fc321; 10-04-2020 at 10:00 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the whole connection was loose you may have broken one of the clips that holds it together. They are very easy to break. In that case the connection can hold together for a while simply due to friction but will likely work it self loose randomly. If that's the case a few very carefully placed zip ties might help.

They don't sell just the senor connection, it comes as part of a very expensive assembly so be ready for a significant repair bill.

Go to the dealer if you want but other shops might save you a lot of money.

Also don't be afraid of google. It sounds like you do know what key words to search for. Just plug stuff in and see what results you get.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @ahausheer

I am still under warranty until Feb of 2021 so I will just go to the Dealer. Because I dont want to risk that I jerry-rig it with zip ties and then it starts acting up again after i am out of warranty. Yeah, "part of an expensive assembly" well the planned obsolesence happened too soon so now THEY will be on the hook for any expensive parts. And if they try to make me responsible for it I will escalate it all the way up the chain and even take them to small claims court if needed.

Because car has less than 21k miles on it and barely 90% of the driving nobody is sitting in the passenger seat so let them explain in court how I "wore out" the seat...... or whatever argument they try to come up with. Lets see them try to pin this on me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @ahausheer

I am still under warranty until Feb of 2021 so I will just go to the Dealer. Because I dont want to risk that I jerry-rig it with zip ties and then it starts acting up again after i am out of warranty. Yeah, "part of an expensive assembly" well the planned obsolesence happened too soon so now THEY will be on the hook for any expensive parts. And if they try to make me responsible for it I will escalate it all the way up the chain and even take them to small claims court if needed.

Because car has less than 21k miles on it and barely 90% of the driving nobody is sitting in the passenger seat so let them explain in court how I "wore out" the seat...... or whatever argument they try to come up with. Lets see them try to pin this on me.
    Did you install an amp or speaker under the seat? If so, they could argue you accidentally broke something in the process, and quite frankly that's not unreasonable. The issue you are facing seems to be extremely rare by itself, and considering its a safety issue, it it was anything more than extremely rare there would probably be a recall.

Let us all know what the problem was, and what their proposed fix is.

The Airbag light problem is back (24 hours later)

God-damn these stupid farking sensors and their false alarms. Any goddamn excuse to get Customer into the Dealer for service. This is the last new car i ever buy
    WOW. Unfortunately I don't think you'll get the proper help you need on this forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    WOW. Unfortunately I don't think you'll get the proper help you need on this forum.
    Here I was thinking it would only take a couple big guys to help push his Mirage back up upright, because it looks like it's turned on its side from the dash pic.

We can help with the wrench icon, however -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBfnBnQ_dc

My wrench icon just appeared the other day again. My old brain likes the youtube.com reminders on how to reset it. I better go out & do it before I forget again!

I turned that thing off on all the work cars and my own too. Use stickers instead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I turned that thing off on all the work cars and my own too. Use stickers instead.
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think I may as well try to unplug the car battery and then to disconnect and to reconnect the airbag plug. There are 2 plugs under there, is it the tiny one or the large one? Also do I disconnect the negative battery terminal only?

I apologize for my bad attitude before, i was showing an ugly side. Sorry about that. i was going to go back and edit it out but may as well leave it there for comedy relief.

And yeah i do have the amplifier hooked up right under there but that was installed over 2 years ago. Sadly I dont have the receipts but no sense in my getting paranoid about it. Im just going to calm down and take it easy and maybe i will get lucky and have the disconnect/reconnect solve the problem.

When it comes to issues about the airbag sensors they will have a real tough time trying to deny me warranty service on a Safety component like that. i think the odds are actually in my favor on this one.

Yeah that wrench icon I dont even bother to delete it anymore. I have erased it a couple of times but now I just ignore it.