Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passenger Airbag light ON

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Passenger Airbag light ON

Hi,

On my 2015 Mirage DE with 21k miles I had a passenger today and after she left the passenger airbag light stays Lit and it wont turn off.

I looked underneath to see if any plugs were disconnected and everything looks like it is connected fine. My Mom had tried inserting the seat belt the wrong way several times. Im not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I took it to AutoZone to scan for computer codes but there is no codes because the check engine light is not on. Anything else i can try? I would hate to take it to Dealer even though it is still under warranty because I am paranoid that they will sabotage something. I know, call me crazy but i had a bad experience at Ford dealership and now I am snake-bitten.

Im really p1ssed off about this. I specifically bought a car that would not have complex electronics and sensors because of this kind of thing. Frigging 21k miles and I have this problem.

I installed an aftermarket head unit and the amplifier is under the passenger seat so I am scared to death that the Dealer will try to charge me or say that the warranty repair is void. But it was over a year ago that the stereo was installed

Last edited by fc321; 10-02-2020 at 12:34 AM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    ...I had a passenger today and after she left the passenger airbag light stays Lit and it wont turn off.
    There is an "occupancy sensor" built into the passenger seat bottom. It tells the computer that someone is sitting there so the airbag will deploy when you hit a tree. I'm not saying that's the problem...but it's a likely possibility. Read this related thread.

If you're still within your 5 year/60K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, just let the dealer handle it. About the only thing you can do on your own is to make sure any connectors under the seat haven't come loose.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

fc321 (10-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    There is an "occupancy sensor" built into the passenger seat bottom. It tells the computer that someone is sitting there so the airbag will deploy when you hit a tree. I'm not saying that's the problem...but it's a likely possibility. Read this related thread.

If you're still within your 5 year/60K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, just let the dealer handle it. About the only thing you can do on your own is to make sure any connectors under the seat haven't come loose.
    Thanks. I will update the thread after the dealer handles me.

What a nasty surprise it would have been if I was out of warranty and looking at $1000 for a new seat from the Dealer. That price is absolutely abusive and insane. And ironically the reason I bought this car was to avoid such scenarios. I wonder if this is a common part that breaks down for many of our members? I really am amazed that the part stopped working. I can assure you guys that the seat was never exposed to water damage of any kind. And I rarely have a passenger in that seat, only 5% of the time. Because Im a lonely guy basically with no friends and no girlfriend.

Update: I was sober for 45 days in AA but this situation has me so worried that I went out and bought beer. I am thinking worst case scenario will happen and that the Dealer will deny me the repair under warranty based on my installation of aftermarket car stereo and amplifier that is located underneath the seat. And I lost my job so this couldnt have happened at a worst time.

I have been so depressed because I had money in the stock market and my positions have turned against me and I am down several thousand dollars. And now this. I just dont even understand it, I treat this car with kid gloves, I dont think its ever even seen above 6k RPM and I am always so gentle with it. And now this. My life is just going down the drain and I texted this girl to join me at a rollerblading meetup and she ignored me. Did not even bother to reply with a no. Sigh.

What a sad and lonely life I lead, I would not wish it upon my worst enemy. In the last 2 months everything is falling apart in my life. Even the roof is leaking on my house and a new roof will cost over 10 thousand dollars that I dont have. Its just one thing after another.
    Last edited by fc321; 10-02-2020 at 01:57 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Take a deep breath, man. They're going to hook up their fancy Mitsubishi scan tool and they will probably know what it is in 10 minutes. I have an amp under my passenger front seat, too...and I don't worry about it. The guy working on your car doesn't care. He just wants to hang a new part on your car and get paid.

Did you buy the car more than 5 years ago? If not, then you're golden. I bought my 2015 in March of 2016.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

fc321 (10-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, that is an amazing coincidence because I ALSO bought mine in February of 2016. Whew! But like I said before, I am still not safe. This crooked dealer, they are not satisfied with just Mitsubishi Corp's warranty repairs. They want to put you on the hook for extra stuff. And then if I refuse it they want to charge me like a $125 "diagnostic fee".
    Last edited by fc321; 10-02-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its probably your seat sensor. There is two causes: 1. Something went under the seat and messing with the yellow cable or 2. heat caused the cable, tape, etc to expand and now its loose. I had the same issue with my driver side Corolla. I found that many 2018-2019 Subaru Impreza owners had this issue when looking for answers. So just disable the battery and unplug/plug back in the cable. Worst case scenario is that you have to buy a new cable.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

fc321 (10-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Hi,

On my 2015 Mirage DE with 21k miles I had a passenger today and after she left the passenger airbag light stays Lit and it wont turn off.

I looked underneath to see if any plugs were disconnected and everything looks like it is connected fine. My Mom had tried inserting the seat belt the wrong way several times. Im not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I took it to AutoZone to scan for computer codes but there is no codes because the check engine light is not on. Anything else i can try? I would hate to take it to Dealer even though it is still under warranty because I am paranoid that they will sabotage something. I know, call me crazy but i had a bad experience at Ford dealership and now I am snake-bitten.

Im really p1ssed off about this. I specifically bought a car that would not have complex electronics and sensors because of this kind of thing. Frigging 21k miles and I have this problem.

I installed an aftermarket head unit and the amplifier is under the passenger seat so I am scared to death that the Dealer will try to charge me or say that the warranty repair is void. But it was over a year ago that the stereo was installed
    So to clarify, what do you mean when you say ''airbag light''? The one in the dash, or the one in the headliner near the dome light that indicates if the passenger airbag is engaged or not?

Also, just so you know, autobody shops deal with airbag codes all the time, and usually have the tools to read and reset them. The airbag electrical system and associated codes are a separate system from all other engine trouble codes and require a separate set of equipment to read/clear. Many regular mechanics don't have the equipment to deal with airbag codes and the dealer is expensive. Autobody shops are almost certainly going to be cheaper than the dealer and might even pull the code for free.
    Last edited by gone.a; 10-02-2020 at 06:25 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-02-2020),fc321 (10-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Easy, man. Easy. Just breathe. I am sure the dealership will handle it..especially if it is a safety problem. I assume the light you are talking about is the one on the roof? Have you tried sitting in the seat and getting out again to see if the status of the light changes? IIRC, my ex girlfriend's Mirage did something similar.

I'd bet Top Fuel is right about the occupancy sensor. This is actually a very common occurrence on Mini Coopers, from what I understand.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

fc321 (10-03-2020)

I'm confused as to wtf the first post is all about. Passenger airbag light?? Are you talking about the one on the roof that's probably always on to tell you that you're alone? Or do you mean the one on the dash that means there is a problems with the airbag system in the car? If it's the one on the dash almost any real scan tool at almost any real mechanic shop should be able to scan airbag codes. If a shop won't spend $1500 on a scan tool then they probably don't work on cars newer than 1986.

I had the actual red airbag light come on my car once. I spilled an entire coffee all over the passenger seat. I scanned it with a regular scan tool that most shops have and the code was for the occupancy sensor. I cleared it and it went away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

fc321 (10-03-2020)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Passenger airbag light?? Are you talking about the one on the roof that's probably always on to tell you that you're alone?.
    Do you have a light there which is on when the passenger chair is empty? I have a light there which is on when I manually disable the passenger airbag using the switch next to the door.
    Name:  PassengerAirbag.jpeg
Views: 1978
Size:  43.2 KB
    That is, I expect it to behave like that, I never touched that switch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

fc321 (10-03-2020),mohammad (03-21-2023)