Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First real problem with my Mirage... (Engine losing power suddenly. Update- solved)

Glad you solved it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    So that fixed it? Just replacing the halogens? How many were out?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Glad you solved it.
    Too early to call it 'solved', but I am optimistic.

I was going to suggest re-titling this thread, but as I was typing that I got a notification on my side bar that said you already had!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    So that fixed it? Just replacing the halogens? How many were out?
    Not the halogens. Halogens are headlight bulbs. This was the rear lights. I had one taillight and both brake lights out at various points, but I am not sure what combination of bulb failures actually caused the malfunction. The high-mount brake light was still working.

A sticking brake pedal is also a possibility I am considering, but replacing the bulbs seems to have alleviated the problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Do we need to add this one to the "What to do when you have a problem that makes no sense" list?

1) Remove any bluetooth device from the OBDII port if you are using one
    2) If you have changed any lightbulbs to LED or whatever, put back the stock bulbs
    3) Verify that all of your brake lights are working

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-11-2020),dspace9 (10-10-2020),MetroMPG (10-12-2020),MirageRally (10-10-2020),timw4mail (10-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not really related, but I don't really see a point of making a thread about it...

I was driving on gravel roads in the river bottoms the other day and giving it the beans and kind of "Duke Boying" it, and man the traction control is STUPID AGGRESSIVE in these cars. Felt like it cut all power and hit the brakes. It was awful. Felt like dangerous levels of application imo.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Ovan (10-28-2020),Top_Fuel (10-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Not really related, but I don't really see a point of making a thread about it...

I was driving on gravel roads in the river bottoms the other day and giving it the beans and kind of "Duke Boying" it, and man the traction control is STUPID AGGRESSIVE in these cars. Felt like it cut all power and hit the brakes. It was awful. Felt like dangerous levels of application imo.
    The nice thing is you can turn it off even while rolling along!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Basic (10-12-2020),Eggman (10-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The nice thing is you can turn it off even while rolling along!
    Agreed, and which I promptly did!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Agreed, and which I promptly did!
    I was actually surprised the system lets you shut it off while moving regardless of speed. Same way with my Outlander Sport. Which is actually really really nice because some manufacturers you have to be stopped, in Park or neutral before you can shut it off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    She is running just fine now. I guess the problem with the accelerator really was related to...the brakes and/or brake/taillights. Thanks for all the help, guys!

I actually did the experiment dspace9 suggests above. I accelerated up to about 25 mph in second gear, then touched the brake pedal just enough to make the brake lights come on. After a couple seconds the engine cut out in the exact same way it had done before. I could floor the pedal and the engine would not respond...until I released the brake pedal. Then it accelerated normally.

Not sure why, but it seems having one or more brake/taillights out may have confused the ETACS into thinking I was stepping on the brake pedal when I clearly wasn't. In response, it reacted to what it thought was a Toyota-esque 'runaway acceleration' scenario and cut the throttle.

I was NOT touching the brake pedal at all when this was happening before, though it is possible maybe the pedal was sticking or something? That actually would make way more sense than a combination of rear lamp failures.

Not sure which combination of brake/taillight failures would cause this. But honestly, it was a very unnerving problem. If the system is designed to work this way...it SHOULDN'T be.

It is very dangerous to be pulling into traffic and have the engine cut out because ETACS thinks you are also hitting the brakes.
    Do other people have the same response from the engine?
    If not, it may be a tail light wire that's grounded or so?