Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Eyeing 2020 or 2021

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I'll take ya'll's word for it, then. To talk about AC, in the winter, is kinda counter-intuitive. The inside of my windshield fogs up pretty bad in the winter sometimes. Happens in any rainy weather too. I think it's the humidity effect. I carry a handkerchief just in case. In that big 7-11 big gulp cupholder area on the driver's door. I keep my alcohol spray there too.

Going on with what Eggman is saying, I never really considered resale value when I bought my Mirage. I wanted the lowest cost new car. I wanted manual tranny anyways. And base model car.

In the summer it is so hot having a dark car and no AC. Not smart planning. But overall I am not too worried about resale. Because since my car was cheaper from the outset day 1.
    Ok, just to bring things back around this conversation about A/C started on a comment by MirageRally who said he wanted to remove his air conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    I made a post on here somewhere about trying to convert my auto climate controls to manual... But when you get down to it as everyone else has said you can turn it off manually... What I really wanted to do was remove the whole air conditioning system permanently... Bc I'm old school.. but that presents a problem in itself. I really ever even use my AC or climate controls... Only with the windshields fogging up.
    Maybe you two should just swap cars? That way MirageRally would get his stripped-down basic automobile and wouldn't have to swap to a 2014-2015 bumper and hood. And dspace9 would get an opportunity to experience the 2020 air conditioning, improved suspension and brakes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I wanted the lowest cost new car. I wanted manual tranny anyways. And base model car.
    My first new-car purchase was a 2010 (or was it '09) Kia Rio sedan WITHOUT power steering and AC. I figured that once I paid the car off ($10k), I'd use the vehicle for the track. No AC/PS would ensure that less parasitic HP loss on the already weak (until I drove the mirage) engine.

Needless to say, during wet weather, and cold weather, it fogged the inside glass because of no AC.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Only reason to get a 2020 at this point is deep discounts and mark downs. The 2021 gets the cool new styling.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But then that depends on one's definition of "cool new styling". I actually like the new styling, but I don't like it as much as I like keeping two thousand dollars and still getting a new car with the same guts and features and gas mileage; or alternatively, waiting twelve months to do this all again and have someone say..."wait for tue 2022, because it's going to get this or that".

For some prosepctive buyers, especially for a bottom-based-priced new car; those deep discounts are a major factor for when and what to buy. I'm looking at a silver 5-speed in Clarksville now with an arm rest, fog lights, floor matts, back hatch acessories, and tonneau cover (what ever that is) advertised at $12.4K before military discount. I'm going to request an OTD today to see what it really cost.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsfc View Post
    But then that depends on one's definition of "cool new styling". I actually like the new styling, but I don't like it as much as I like keeping two thousand dollars and still getting a new car with the same guts and features and gas mileage; or alternatively, waiting twelve months to do this all again and have someone say..."wait for tue 2022, because it's going to get this or that".

For some prosepctive buyers, especially for a bottom-based-priced new car; those deep discounts are a major factor for when and what to buy. I'm looking at a silver 5-speed in Clarksville now with an arm rest, fog lights, floor matts, back hatch acessories, and tonneau cover (what ever that is) advertised at $12.4K before military discount. I'm going to request an OTD today to see what it really cost.
    Good luck with your OTD price request!

Since you prefer manual climate controls, I would pursue some of the 2019 ES manuals within a 200 mile radius. I am surprised by the lack of big discounts being offered on new 2019-20 Mirages this fall. Some of the summer prices were actually better in our area!

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...28112&zc=38580

I was looking at the Mirage offered in the UK. They have the updated model there. I prefer their trim level offerings even though there are less of them. They have a Mirage Verve Manual, Mirage Design Pro Manual, & Mirage Design Pro CVT. A base level Verve @ 10,595 euros (approximately $12,615 usd) is still well equipped like our ES, but it has manual climate controls.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/cars/mirage

American market would need a Mirage Verve CVT added, because so many Americans fear/dislike manuals these days.

An economy car should always offer a very basic, affordable trim level. That doesn't hinder the other trim levels being loaded with features that some can't live without.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If they got their heads out of their asses and offered the nicer Mirage trims with a stick again I may be tempted to buy one... So to save me from being stupid hopefully they don't hahaha.

Seriously though, they did that at first and kind of did for the 17's... And they do this currently in other countries... Why not here?
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree with you because I like stick, but I remember when I bought mine, all of the high end trims with stick were still unsold (a model year later).
    2014 White SE with CVT

8. The Following User Says Thank You to El Kapitan For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    If they got their heads out of their asses and offered the nicer Mirage trims with a stick again I may be tempted to buy one... So to save me from being stupid hopefully they don't hahaha.

Seriously though, they did that at first and kind of did for the 17's... And they do this currently in other countries... Why not here?
    4 CVT trims levels that have a $2,000 price range difference seems a bit silly to me. In 2019, there were 5 CVT trim levels (ES, RF, LE, SE, GT) within that same $2,000 price range.

Have a base & upper trim level with a 5-speed manual or CVT option instead.

Base model (manual or CVT) - would still have features like 14" steel wheels, manual A/C, cruise control, power windows, & power door locks with remote.

One upper trim level (LE, SE, GT combined) (manual or CVT option) - would have the added features of 15" alloy wheels, automatic climate controls, push button start, heated seats, & whatever else is necessary to keep up with the competition. That may include items like auto stop & go, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, & more.

Some people like the extra features & I think that could be offered as one large package. Do they really need to market 14" alloy wheels on the upper SE & 15" alloy wheels on the lower LE? Why have heated seats on a lower level LE & not on the upper level SE? They may as well put all those items in one package, because no matter what you do you can't please everyone.

I doubt things will change much in 2021, but offering an ES & (LE or SE) manual option would be nice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post

Yeah theres a reason we got a 17 se. Its the nicest one offered with a Manual as far as I can tell. That more maybe an RF package.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,013 Posts
    Clessy - A 17 SE 5 speed is what I wanted 3 years ago. I agree it is the nicest. I think I almost hooked one that had the Upgraded sound system too (forget the brand).

Dodge Ares K - It's been a while since I've been in automotive. It may not be apparent, but there are BUILD mistakes made on vehicles every day. I don't mean stuff like forgetting a clip or stripping a screw. I mean stuff like laying in the wrong wire harness somewhere in the vehicle, for example.

Sometimes those things can be easily dealt with. Sometimes they are catastrophic, and require the complete teardown of a vehicle. Imagine a main wire harness that goes under the carpet gets added but it is for a vehicle with a manual seat. And say the vehicle being built has a power seat. The seats are close to the last things installed. If they put the seat in and find no power connector available to power the seat because they've got the wrong wire harness, they're in a world of hurt. I've seen Hyundai just crush brand new vehicles (with a track-hoe ... quite entertaining) versus the labor / time / expense related to rebuild. I agree a loaded out Mirage with a 5 speed would be awesome. But guys like us that may pay for all the options and then want a 5 speed may be few and far between.

So, they try to limit build variation AT ALL COST, to reduce the chance of a catastrophic build failure as described above. Toyota was very effective like that. Hyundai, meh it happened on an occasion. Frequently the "pool" cars, those turds we'd move around the outside (sometimes inside) of the plant with, within the confines of the FTZ were such reject cars. We had one that was completely missing some kind of critical suspension component. They didn't even want to repair that. Drove just fine around the plant.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)