Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eyeing 2020 or 2021

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This is true. The Mirage really isn't meant to be a 70 mph freeway commuter car. It is a city car, and will get the best mpg between 35 and 50 mph in 5th gear.

Most people who get into the 50 mpg range consistently...myself included...seem to mostly drive in this speed range.
    This has been my experience - the best fuel economy is found under 55 mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This is true. The Mirage really isn't meant to be a 70 mph freeway commuter car. It is a city car, and will get the best mpg between 35 and 50 mph in 5th gear.

Most people who get into the 50 mpg range consistently...myself included...seem to mostly drive in this speed range.
    I roadtrip/commute in mine all the time usually doing 70mph and it does effect mpg but thankfully the 4 stock speakers are really good as I can still hear my soft spoken podcasts at "38" on the volume knob.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    True, but even at higher speeds it's still just so darned good. I go forever these days between needing to fill up.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My rural commute has no interstate but it's mostly highway. Round trip, it includes sixteen miles, divided state highway, 65 mph. I usually set the cruise at 61 for this stretch even in my 325 hp truck just to help maximize mpg in anything I drive. In all other stretches of the commute, I'll set the cruise above the speed limit just a tad. Rural areas are a little different than urban areas and suburbs where, in the latter, everyone pretty much runs 80 mph every time they get a chance out on an open four lane. Most drivers around here are going the speed, because it's rural light traffic area, and it's too easy to get caught speeding. So even a little below the speed limit on the 65 mph stretch, it's not like folks are zipping by me or that I'm holding up traffic.

Then I go through a small town with five traffic lights for 4 miles (round trip); then make a left turn onto a 55 mph, 2 lane state highway for about 30 miles round trip; then I skirt a tiny town to my work location to a fish hatchery below a dam for another 9 miles, 45 to 55 mph. So it's about 59 miles per day commute from 45-65 mph, but I usually go over 62 only to pass, which is rare.

I had a VW Jetta TDI at one time for this commute and averaged 46 mpg, but traded it for my current pickup in 2015, because we needed a pickup. I miss the 46 mpg, and I missed having a straight shift. The thing I hated the most about the VW was that it was a sedan which I've come to dislike utility wise, and too expensive to repair interior electronics. I'm a fan of the VW TSI engines, but I think I'd rather go for something much, much cheaper and cheaper to repair. So the talk about expensive parts and labor with respect to Mirage makes me think twice, because I went through that already with a ten year old car.

A Clarksville dealership is currently advertising two 2020 5 speed Mirages; one silver, one black for $11.4K and $10.9K, respectively with all possible discounts. I know there are certainly add ons to this price, but I qualify for the military discounts. I'm currently applying for a heloc loan, so I've got to wait at least a month or so. I plan on tradimg my 2017 Soul; get a loan; and then pay off the loan to get the best deal. I think that even after a bank loan, my credit score should still be high enough to get good terms. I'm willing to pay cash, but I've heard that's not the best path for the best deal. We'll just have to see in December. There are good deals on Sparks right now, but I'm not really feeling them, and hate the looks of the Versa, so can't get past that.

The price of used Fiestas and Rio 5s, etc are out the roof. I'd love to find a deal on one of those 1.0 3 cylinder Ecoboost 5 speed Fiestas at a good price, but I can't even find a single one, let alone shop for a good deal on one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Greg - Your Ford truck sounds interesting and effective to me. Turbochargers to me are a gift from God, and should be applied to every vehicle (including V10 Vipers). I have an old 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4. It's been a very valuable truck. Not quite 24 mpg average, but probably (for real) more like 17. Which includes probably close to 100k miles towing. It is quite a truck. But your truck sounds right up my alley if / when I were to ever need to replace my old Dodge. Kudos on an outstanding truck to you. I respect your value over bling and plush.

Back to Mirages. I'm 100% with you on the cruise control. I put more miles on my car using cruise control than I do with my own foot. I tried to find a 2017 Mirage SE (because the ES didn't have cruise), missed my chance, and the SE was eliminated. When I found out cruise became standard on the ES, I was sold. I used to work for Hyundai-Kia as a design engineer. They gave me a "vehicle allowance" which equates to a free car as long as it was an entry level car. So I always drove one of their crappers. Most always a manual. Their mpg never matched my 2004 Corolla 5 speed. And they were slower than my Corolla too. So I can understand your issue with driving a slow, small car, but only getting low 30's for mpg. This is where the Mirage becomes satisfying. It is small and slow, but get's low 40's to 50 mpg most of the time. 50+ mpg can be had. I'm not there yet.

As to the auto climate control, I've not pressed the AUTO button once. It works well. I drive frequently with no A/C when it is cool enough. So, forget about the auto climate, it is not an issue. As for the 3,000 rpm. That might be an issue with a larger engine. But this is a 3-tapper (not enough power to be a banger, it just taps). 3,000 rpm is like 1,800 rpm in my 4.6L LS 460L. It's nothing. Very smooth and quiet at 3,000 rpm. 3,000 rpm is relevant based on the engine. Speaking of 3,000 rpm, my 5.9L (LA 360) Plymouth Scamp turns right at 3,000 rpm at 60 mph. Now that can be annoying. I've done quite a few interstate trips and 3,000 rpm in a V8 that size feels and sounds like it's about to grenade. I get used to it, and yes I go slow on the interstate with that car. And at 60 mph I'm blowing through the fuel. Not so in a Mirage. If one ran 3,000 rpm for a full tank, I'm betting it would hit 50 mpg easy with no A/C (manual trans). Maybe even WITH A/C (manual trans).

My only REAL complaint with my Mirage so far is that I think the 1st to 2nd gear spacing is too large. That's all really. It makes one have to either scream first gear, or lug 2nd gear. Screaming preferred, as soccer moms in their Escalades don't know what a manual transmission is and nearly rear-end me when I'm shifting to 2nd gear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have recently started a new job and my 15 min commute (about 45% 'backroads' and 55% freeway) has turned into 35min commute of 15% backroads and 85% freeway.

The good thing about fwy driving on the mirage (with a manual) is that the engine is in the powerband at 65mph and up. I very rarely downshift to pass as long as no one is coming up behind me.

As much as I would love to save gas, I enjoy my 25min or so of freeway driving and am usually in the center lane with the occasional fast lane for passing. I seem to be averaging 65mph or higher depending on how traffic is. I will try to do better on calculating my MPGs but I'm probably getting around 35mpg.

Another factor is that I usually shift over 2.5k and I'm not a slow driver. I just also remembered that I'm rolling on oversized tires so I'm sure that throws off the calculations as well.

I'm sure with a more conservative driver (see: slow) you may be able to reach 40mpg - or closer to your old Jetta using a mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I have recently started a new job and my 15 min commute (about 45% 'backroads' and 55% freeway) has turned into 35min commute of 15% backroads and 85% freeway.
    Ares! Long time no see. Where you been?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I didn't realize auto climate control could be turned off. That's a game changer. I'm definitely moving towards shopping for Mirage in December and trading or selling our average-mpg Soul that's also gutless, and in my opinion, ugly. The Clarksville, TN dealership is currently the most interesting and the only one around showing 5-speeds in inventory, and listing rock-bottom price for each as an online price. They obviously market these towards young soldiers at Ft. Campbell.

@7milesout. The standard cab, standard bed F150 XL with the 2.7L twin turbo is still available in a new 2020 model; weight=4166 in base form; nowadays mated to a ten speed, but still 2 pounds lighter than mine even with the heavier transmission. Much lighter than other trucks; lighter than most mid-size trucks and shorter as well. This powertrain option will continue on for the newly-design 2021 in this same configuration, but the 2.7L will get a higher premium over the base power train, which is odd, because the 2021 base v6 will get the ten speed transmission, whereas the 2020 got the 6-speed. Ford is now the last manufacturer to offer a RCSB configuration in a pickup in their latest design, and it appears that it continues on for at least six more years. Odd that Chevrolet would drop this configuration, because they historically built the most valuable classics of this configuration as show vehicles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    My truck is 7,140 pounds totally empty, except a full tank of fuel. Cruising at 70 mph, it will get 20 - 21 mpg. "Around town" about 18 mpg. I said 17 mpg lifetime because it towed A LOT in its first 100k miles. It is a quad cab, long bed, 4X4, 6 speed, with a Cummins. It is a beast. I hope to have it another 20 years. But if it does need replacing, I like to watch trucks to quickly know what I would move to.

Not only may that dealer be marketing toward young soldiers, but the 2021s should be showing up soon I suppose. And once they do, any left over 2019s or 2020s sitting on the lot are going to lose their value quick. So, now's a good time to buy a 2020. I don't personally know if the 2021s will be any better. From the little I've read it seems more like what we referred to in Toyota, as a minor model change. Hyundai called it a refresh. Meaning, mostly under the skin (outside of what you can see and put your hands on) the vehicle is basically the same. At Toyota a major model change was as it sounds, everything is changing ... and generally the engine and transmissions have changes / upgrades, whatever. Mitsubishi may market the 2021 as a whole new model Mirage, but having been in the market, it doesn't look that way to me. And that's not a bad thing. Because the current model has a helluva drivetrain. I would be a bit concerned that the 2021 would change things enough to lose the appeal to me. The ES with cruise and manual transmission is an absolute winner in my opinion.

I'm about to slam another 300 miles on the Blueberry this weekend. I don't understand the complaints about highway driving it. I think it makes a helluva good interstate cruiser. Maybe it's a 5 speed thing ... dunno.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by gregsfc View Post
    I'd love to find a deal on one of those 1.0 3 cylinder Ecoboost 5 speed Fiestas at a good price, but I can't even find a single one, let alone shop for a good deal on one.
    I would love to try one of those as well! Never seen one in the flesh... that I know of.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)