Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eyeing 2020 or 2021

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Eyeing 2020 or 2021

I've been wanting to purchase a Mirage 5 speed for two years now. Professional reviews are ridiculous. Most so-called negatives are actually positives for most prospective buyers' who would even take a look at such a car.

Right now my wife and I own a 2015 F150 "work truck"; regular cab; short bed; 2wd that we bought new in 2015 and paid $27.8K; paid it off in just three years. It's got the amazing 2.7L twin turbo that is super refined, quick and torquey while also averaging 24.2 mpg lifetime and gives us all the utility we'd ever need and looks great too despite lacking the 30 grand extra for the higher end trim appearance packages with extra doors. Our decision to go very basic in a new car and to try out this idea of choosing "value" over bling and plush and more than we need, has served us well.

I am less ecstatic about our other basic transporter. We traded another very basic car one year ago; a 2015 Fiat 500 auto transmission with 101 hp for a Kia Soul 5 speed with 130 hp (both equally slow). We got the Soul, because my wife loved the styling; we didn't like owning a 2 door hatchback for utility reasons; and the Fiat had only about 300 mile range on a tank of gas; and it was a little top heavy in the handling department. The good: We liked its looks, It got up to 36 mpg on a tank in mixed driving; and it had sharp/tight steering but not a tight radius. The Soul rides and handles fantastically for a an entry compact; simple-built power train with easy maintenance; and roomy inside with its high roofline, but I never liked its looks. I've ended up being the primary driver of a car I don't like, however, because my wife avoids driving it due to deciding she doesn't like to manually shift even though she picked the car out despite knowing it is a 5 speed. Manual is a must for me. Besides not liking its styling; I hate driving a weak-performing car; that's also small; that's also averaging only 32 mpg in a 60 mile daily commute at 60 mph along state routes in a rural area. I don't mind slow and small as long as I'm getting great mpg. I once dove a TDI Jetta along this same commute and averaged 46 mpg versus a 41 mpg highway estimate with 0-60 rated at 11.5 seconds; and I can get 25.5 in my full size pickup driving this route. So this uninspiring, ugly hatchback is unacceptable in the mpg department for my standards even though it beats the epa estimate and is a good, reliable car.

I'm looking to trade for Mirage ES. It is interesting that, when we traded the Fiat for the Soul, we were also considering a brand new Mirage versus a two-year-old Soul. The price I was quoted out the door for a brand new Mirage last year ended up being the exact price I ended up paying for the used Soul. The Soul has no cruise control. I need cruise control.

Two things I don't like about the new Mirage are: automatic climate control and 3,000 RPM at 60 mph; but as soon as I can make it work in the budget, I'll be trading the Soul for a Mirage and put up with a climate control that makes decsions for me and a fast-running engine along my commute. For reference, my truck turns 1510 rpm; and the Soul turns 2750 along my commute. I think its right that the 2019 Mirage comes standard with cruise and manual climate controls, but so far I'm not seeing a low enough price in a slightly-used Mirage to make economic sense. Thanks to this group for all you do.

Last edited by gregsfc; 10-02-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gregsfc For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Hello gregsfc and welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Welcome aboard. Please post up some pics when you finally pull the trigger. Honestly, the auto climate control isn't that bad. You can use it in manual mode anyway.

The only time I actually use the AUTO setting is in the summer with the AC on. I don't really care where the air goes, exactly, as long as the car is cool inside!

Welcome. I wouldn't worry about the auto climate controls too much. I haven't had a problem with the ones in my 2014. And I mine aren't and never had been set to automatic controls. I usually just leave it off most of the time except for the 2 weeks of summer we get or full blast defrost in the 5-6 months of winter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    What is the problem with 3000rpm?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsfc View Post
    I've been wanting to purchase a Mirage 5 speed for two years now. Professional reviews are ridiculous. Most so-called negatives are actually positives for most prospective buyers' who would even take a look at such a car.

Right now my wife and I own a 2015 F150 "work truck"; regular cab; short bed; 2wd that we bought new in 2015 and paid $27.8K; paid it off in just three years. It's got the amazing 2.7L twin turbo that is super refined, quick and torquey while also averaging 24.2 mpg lifetime and gives us all the utility we'd ever need and looks great too despite lacking the 30 grand extra for the higher end trim appearance packages with extra doors. Our decision to go very basic in a new car and to try out this idea of choosing "value" over bling and plush and more than we need, has served us well.

I am less ecstatic about our other basic transporter. We traded another very basic car one year ago; a 2015 Fiat 500 auto transmission with 101 hp for a Kia Soul 5 speed with 130 hp (both equally slow). We got the Soul, because my wife loved the styling; we didn't like owning a 2 door hatchback for utility reasons; and the Fiat had only about 300 mile range on a tank of gas; and it was a little top heavy in the handling department. The good: We liked its looks, It got up to 36 mpg on a tank in mixed driving; and it had sharp/tight steering but not a tight radius. The Soul rides and handles fantastically for a an entry compact; simple-built power train with easy maintenance; and roomy inside with its high roofline, but I never liked its looks. I've ended up being the primary driver of a car I don't like, however, because my wife avoids driving it due to deciding she doesn't like to manually shift even though she picked the car out despite knowing it is a 5 speed. Manual is a must for me. Besides not liking its styling; I hate driving a weak-performing car; that's also small; that's also averaging only 32 mpg in a 60 mile daily commute at 60 mph along state routes in a rural area. I don't mind slow and small as long as I'm getting great mpg. I once dove a TDI Jetta along this same commute and averaged 46 mpg versus a 41 mpg highway estimate with 0-60 rated at 11.5 seconds; and I can get 25.5 in my full size pickup driving this route. So this uninspiring, ugly hatchback is unacceptable in the mpg department for my standards even though it beats the epa estimate and is a good, reliable car.

I'm looking to trade for Mirage ES. It is interesting that, when we traded the Fiat for the Soul, we were also considering a brand new Mirage versus a two-year-old Soul. The price I was quoted out the door for a brand new Mirage last year ended up being the exact price I ended up paying for the used Soul. The Soul has no cruise control. I need cruise control.

Two things I don't like about the new Mirage are: automatic climate control and 3,000 RPM at 60 mph; but as soon as I can make it work in the budget, I'll be trading the Soul for a Mirage and put up with a climate control that makes decsions for me and a fast-running engine along my commute. For reference, my truck turns 1510 rpm; and the Soul turns 2750 along my commute. I think its right that the 2019 Mirage comes standard with cruise and manual climate controls, but so far I'm not seeing a low enough price in a slightly-used Mirage to make economic sense. Thanks to this group for all you do.
    A 2019 Mirage ES manual would have cruise control & manual climate controls. Cruise became standard in all Mirages in 2019. Automatic climate controls were standard in 2014-15 & now 2020. Thus, a 2019 would give you exactly what you want.

Brand new 2019 ES manual still exist in the country. I would contact someone who has one & see what sort of deal you can find. I would contact a local dealer & have them do a search for one, too. Obviously, trading your Kia Soul would complicate the transaction.

If I had to replace my 2017 Mirage ES manual today, I would contact White Bear Mitsubishi & inquire about a new 2019 Mirage ES manual. I prefer the manual climate controls, too! I would make the effort to find a 2019 first before settling for 2020 Mirage myself.

I was quoted $600 to add cruise to my 2017 Mirage ES manual at the time of purchase. That didn't change when I inquired about it a year later. If the deal is a good one, cruise can be added to a 2017-18 Mirage. One member has driven a Mirage over 300,000 miles with an aftermarket Rostra cruise without issue. Some members have just bought the right parts & have activated cruise for a lot less money, too.

I really like the Kia Soul. Unlike you, it's my favorite looking vehicle on the market. I even test drove a 1.6L manual one time. I like vehicles that are different. I am not willing to drive a small car that doesn't get 40+ mpg, however. Thus, I own a Mirage to compliment my Subaru Forester (used for trailer pulling & snow covered ridge roads where I live). I feel the Mirage is an awesome second vehicle to own (daily driver). Since owning my Mirage, 90% of mileage has gone on it. It's extending the life of my Forester, which would be more expensive to replace (like your Ford truck).

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    What is the problem with 3000rpm?
    I was worried about 3000 rpms wearing my engine out all the time all the highway but according to mechanics on here thats nothing on the 3A92 engine.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsfc View Post

RPM's run higher in overdrive with the Mirage manuals than the CVTs. I think that's why the CVT (in theory) gets superior fuel economy to the manual.

From the sounds of your tastes, I'd probably lean towards manual. The Mirage is a bit of a slow poke, but controlling your own RPMs more with the manual, means you can make more noise... and get a little bit better acceleration.

At 110 km's per hour, like 55-60 miles an hour, my Mirage in 5th gear is at around 3100 RPM. I don't think higher RPM is always a direct correlation with worse fuel economy. General rule yes. But the Mirage's 3 banger is designed to run at higher RPMs and still get 40 MPG+.

I've had my Mirage almost 7 years and I have almost always gotten 40 MPG on average, and 50 MPG in the summer. If you're going past 60 or 70 mph, the Mirage starts to drink fuel. This is what happened to me last year going through Flint to Lansing, and trying to keep up with traffic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

At least you can buy a new 5speed Mirage with cruise. Up here the 5 speed comes in one trim. You get auto temp controls with ac, and bluetooth/ radio controls on the wheel. No cruise, no rear power windows, no keyless entry. So if you want any of those things in Canada with a 5speed you're not gonna find it in a 2020. Gotta find a left over 2019 or older. But they have 3 trim levels of cvt's.

Now to get keyless entry and rear power windows or cruise you have to buy an SE which is only available here with a cvt. And they start at $16500. And if you want white, black or maroon it's an extra $300.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Im always around 3k to 3500 rpms going 70 to 75mph with bigger tires and Im netting about 37 mpg. Not bad.