Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I reset the TPMS sensor myself?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I absolutely hate that my car has TPMS and it constantly comes on because of the cold and rain...
    I live in Ohio and my TPMS light never comes on. If the light is coming on because of low pressure when it's cold in the morning, you should just put some extra pressure in the tires...especially this time of year. Instead of running 32 PSI, try putting in 38-40.

I'm switching to winter tires that come without the sensors and I know that I'll have this light on permanently...any suggestions?
    Spend 10 minutes and read the thread below. Once you understand how the system works, it's not that bad. Mitsubishi doesn't make it easy, but there is a way to deal with most Mirage TPMS issues without running to the dealer for help.

TPMS Quick Reference (common problems/solutions/cloning etc.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (10-27-2020),dragon2knight (10-28-2020),PityOnU (10-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Do you suppose that would be a reasonable expense for a young college student (or anyone else) on a tight budget, especially if the car is still under warranty? In the case of Rally, has he owned it a full year?
    If you want to use two set of tires (summer/winter) & you don't want your TPMS dash light on, cloning is by far the best way to go!

You don't have to buy the tool to do this, however. You just need to find a tire shop that will clone new sensors. Once your winter tires are cloned to summer set, you are done. Changing tires will not require a tool to reset your car's TPMS or require a visit to the dealership or tire shop to have them do it.

No one in my area (small town shops & auto part stores) could clone Mirage sensors last time I checked. I suspect other areas would be better about that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I live in Ohio and my TPMS light never comes on. If the light is coming on because of low pressure when it's cold in the morning, you should just put some extra pressure in the tires...especially this time of year. Instead of running 32 PSI, try putting in 38-40.
    Going to the dealership because your TPMS is on because of low tire pressure would be embarrassing. They are just going to add air to your tires & laugh about it behind your back.

Having a bad sensor is another thing. Like Top Fuel said, rule out the obvious problem first. Pump those tires up higher!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you suppose that would be a reasonable expense for a young college student (or anyone else) on a tight budget, especially if the car is still under warranty? In the case of Rally, has he owned it a full year?
    If you can get it changed under warranty, definitely do that. But honestly, going the DIY route works out to about the same cost as having someone else do it once you've done 4 sensors. So at that point it's just personal choice.

But yeah, college students are on a much tighter budget. My experience with "reasonable expense" in college meant not having a car at all! But that really sucked (here in the USA, at least), and I wouldn't expect anyone else to have to go through that unless they absolutely had to.

Spend 10 minutes and read the thread below. Once you understand how the system works, it's not that bad. Mitsubishi doesn't make it easy, but there is a way to deal with most Mirage TPMS issues without running to the dealer for help.

TPMS Quick Reference (common problems/solutions/cloning etc.)
    Haha, should have known it was you that made that thread. Seriously, thanks for putting in the effort and documenting all of your work/findings on this forum for the rest of us. That information helped me so much when I got new wheels for my Mirage.

What about putting a piece of black tape over the light. I've got one covering the seatbelt light in my truck. It was the previous owners quick fix. I don't even notice it anymore.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (10-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I questioned the value of cloning TPMS sensors taking into account the situation MirageRally is in from the perspective that he was describing a malfunction. Of course cloning sensors has its benefits and I’m not disagreeing on that point. But to me it seems that so long as the tire pressures are within specs, this is a warranty problem that should be covered.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    He's going to have to come back in here and tell us what his TPMS light does when he first starts the car. Until he tells us that, we can't help him.

@MirageRalley:

You need to watch the TPMS light when you first start the engine.
    After starting the engine, does the TPMS light stay on constantly or does it immediately start flashing?

I'll sit back with a case of cold ones and wait for that answer...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    I absolutely hate that my car has TPMS and it constantly comes on because of the cold and rain....
    If your TPMS is constantly coming on because of cold and rain and your tire pressure is correct, the first thing I would do is verify that my tire pressure gauge is accurate. Some cheaper ones (or even expensive ones) can be very inaccurate. Buy another gauge to verify it against or take it to a tire dealer and have them check it for you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I questioned the value of cloning TPMS sensors taking into account the situation MirageRally is in from the perspective that he was describing a malfunction. Of course cloning sensors has its benefits and I’m not disagreeing on that point. But to me it seems that so long as the tire pressures are within specs, this is a warranty problem that should be covered.
    There are two parallel topics running in the same thread. I addressed both issues separately (current issue with light & second set of winter tires without sensors).

He may just need to add air to his tires for the first issue. That's a simple fix!

If he doesn't want his TPMS dash light on for his second set of winter tires (second issue), cloning a second set of sensors to his factory sensors is the best option.

If you want a functioning TPMS, I would not question cloning. If I didn't have the funds, I would run winter tires without sensors & ignore the light. I have done that for the 5+ past years myself.

My posts #4 & #5 were discussing two different issues brought up, & I addressed them separately.

Eggman - You are trying to combine two topics into one.
    Last edited by Mark; 10-02-2020 at 07:44 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    He's going to have to come back in here and tell us what his TPMS light does when he first starts the car. Until he tells us that, we can't help him.

@MirageRalley:

You need to watch the TPMS light when you first start the engine.
    After starting the engine, does the TPMS light stay on constantly or does it immediately start flashing?

I'll sit back with a case of cold ones and wait for that answer...
    Break out the 12 pack of beer...lol. as soon as I start the engine it flashes once and then stays on, I checked out tires, pumped it up higher...and today still does the same thing. I heard somewhere on this form that I can go into the E-Tec system and disable it permanently?

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles