Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I reset the TPMS sensor myself?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Do you suppose that would be a reasonable expense for a young college student (or anyone else) on a tight budget, especially if the car is still under warranty? In the case of Rally, has he owned it a full year?
    Young college student with very little money yep... Checks all the boxes, haha... Got everything up to 40 PSI and still light comes on. Drove it for 200 miles to reset it and still comes on solid... I'd love to spend money on an Autel TS408... But yeah...no....

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm guessing malfunction.... And Cobra jet...what do you mean it's illegal? I've always been taught that it's okay as long as you don't get caught haha...buy yeah l understand.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Young college student with very little money yep... Checks all the boxes, haha... Got everything up to 40 PSI and still light comes on. Drove it for 200 miles to reset it and still comes on solid... I'd love to spend money on an Autel TS408... But yeah...no....
    Yeah, let’s see what Mentor Mitsubishi’s service department has to say. I’m thinking that so long as there’s been no modifications you have a reasonable expectation that your TPMS should work especially with such a nice new car. You shouldn’t have to pay. It could be due to several reasons - bad battery, funky sensor, weak transmitter - Hard to say without the proper diagnostic equipment.

Once they get it working correctly then you can think about your winter snows. What do you think?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, let’s see what Mentor Mitsubishi’s service department has to say. I’m thinking that so long as there’s been no modifications you have a reasonable expectation that your TPMS should work especially with such a nice new car. You shouldn’t have to pay. It could be due to several reasons - bad battery, funky sensor, weak transmitter - Hard to say without the proper diagnostic equipment.

Once they get it working correctly then you can think about your winter snows. What do you think?
    Sounds good. I got my winter tires already...without tpms... They are Dunlop Winter Maxx 2.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Sounds good. I got my winter tires already...without tpms... They are Dunlop Winter Maxx 2.
    I’ve been using those snow tires for several years without sensors. I haven’t spent money on cloning sensors either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I’ve been using those snow tires for several years without sensors. I haven’t spent money on cloning sensors.
    I might just put a piece of tape over it.... Called service and they said it should be flashing to indicate a problem... He just said put more air in it...lol...I'd love to go into the ETACS system and disable it... But my insurance and dealership wouldn't be too happy about that...stupid Regulations...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    ...as soon as I start the engine it flashes once and then stays on...
    Wow...OK...flashing ONE time and then staying on doesn't fit any normal pattern. It sounds like you may have some sort of system malfunction. I would let the dealer sort it out if you are still under your 5/60 warranty. If the ETACS TPMS system just needs to be smacked and reset, you're covered.

I am living that dream right now. I have 4 functioning sensors on my car and they are all broadcasting proper tire pressure readings. But my TPMS light flashes for 1 minute every time I start the car...indicating that I have a TPMS system malfunction. I am stuck and may have to have the dealer bail me out...unless I can find a local shop that can clear TPMS error codes. I do have a couple of TPMS error codes...but they don't make sense and they aren't even listed in the shop manual. So something tells me that my ETACS TPMS system has lost it's mind and needs to be kicked in the head.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Wow...OK...flashing ONE time and then staying on doesn't fit any normal pattern. It sounds like you may have some sort of system malfunction. I would let the dealer sort it out if you are still under your 5/60 warranty. If the ETACS TPMS system just needs to be smacked and reset, you're covered.

I am living that dream right now. I have 4 functioning sensors on my car and they are all broadcasting proper tire pressure readings. But my TPMS light flashes for 1 minute every time I start the car...indicating that I have a TPMS system malfunction. I am stuck and may have to have the dealer bail me out...unless I can find a local shop that can clear TPMS error codes. I do have a couple of TPMS error codes...but they don't make sense and they aren't even listed in the shop manual. So something tells me that my ETACS TPMS system has lost it's mind and needs to be kicked in the head.
    I know it's illegal for a shop to disable your tpms but haven't heard about individuals... Called service back and still said same thing..."not enough air, deflate then inflate to 35psi"... Going to put tape over it...

Edit: Tried making an appointment but when l leave work and get there, they're closed...oh well
    Last edited by MirageRally; 10-02-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    UPDATE:!!!
    Deflated the tires and re-inflated them...turned on the car and the TPMS light went off...odd...very odd...l had 35psi in them already...deflated to 27psi...then re-inflated to 38psi and the light went off...why did l have to deflate my tires? IDK but glad the system reset.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

daleWV (10-03-2020),dragon2knight (10-28-2020),Eggman (10-03-2020),Mark (10-03-2020),Top_Fuel (10-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    UPDATE:!!!
    Deflated the tires and re-inflated them...turned on the car and the TPMS light went off...odd...very odd...l had 35psi in them already...deflated to 27psi...then re-inflated to 38psi and the light went off...why did l have to deflate my tires? IDK but glad the system reset.
    Interesting

When the air pressure in your tires drops by more than a few PSI in less than 10 seconds (or some short period of time), that immediately causes the TPMS sensor to freak out and transmit a tire pressure reading to the computer. The sensor thinks the tire is deflating...that's why it sends the pressure reading signal.

So you did this with the engine OFF and you didn't have the key turned ON or in accessory mode?

You dropped all 4 tires to 27...then walked around and aired them back up to 38?

Can I disable the Mirage's TPMS system?

Someone recently confirmed the ability to disable the TPMS system (in a 2018 Mirage) through the use of ETACS emulator software. One of the ETACS emulator options is a setting for "TPMS TYPE" (or something similar to that). If you choose the Not Available option for this setting, it will disable the TPMS in your Mirage. Refer to this thread/post for more details.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (10-28-2020)