Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Can I reset the TPMS sensor myself?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Been adjusting the clutch, might l say "lt's flippin COLD outside!" Haha... Drives fine now...just in case l will try to make appointment to have them adjust the clutch back and check trans fluid.
    If your Mirage is under one year old & under 12,000 miles, you should never hesitate going back to the dealership. On top of the other warranties, you also have the following -

In addition to the warranties listed above, every new Mitsubishi also comes with Restraint System coverage for seat belts and airbags of 5 years or 60,000 miles under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, along with 12 months/12,000 miles coverage for adjustments; if required as a result of a manufacturing defect. - copied & pasted from Mitsubishi website.

I wouldn't let on that you have been messing with the clutch adjustment yourself. I would have them double check &/or adjust your clutch, & check your manual transmission fluid level. I would even be more specific about that. I would ask them to add manual transmission fluid until it drains from the fill hole. That way you know it's filled properly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If your Mirage is under one year old & under 12,000 miles, you should never hesitate going back to the dealership. On top of the other warranties, you also have the following -

In addition to the warranties listed above, every new Mitsubishi also comes with Restraint System coverage for seat belts and airbags of 5 years or 60,000 miles under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, along with 12 months/12,000 miles coverage for adjustments; if required as a result of a manufacturing defect. - copied & pasted from Mitsubishi website.

I wouldn't let on that you have been messing with the clutch adjustment yourself. I would have them double check &/or adjust your clutch, & check your manual transmission fluid level. I would even be more specific about that. I would ask them to add manual transmission fluid until it drains from the fill hole. That way you know it's filled properly.
    Thanks, l believe they're closed today... But will double check and if they're open l will schedule to adjust clutch and fill/add manual trans fluid
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Hey MirageRally just an FYI I cleared my TPMS warning indicator on my dashboard yesterday by pumping up the tires with air. They had gotten low from the recent drop in temperature combined with not caring enough to check the air pressure on a regular basis haha. Anyway, problem solved and I didn't have to go to the dealer or purchase anything to clone my sensors. Not yet anyway - might have to go to the dealer for other stuff. Hope there are Mitsubishi dealers around when it gets to that point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    UPDATE:!!!
    Deflated the tires and re-inflated them...turned on the car and the TPMS light went off...odd...very odd...l had 35psi in them already...deflated to 27psi...then re-inflated to 38psi and the light went off...why did l have to deflate my tires? IDK but glad the system reset.
    Hey MirageRally could you share the specific steps you took to clear this problem? Did you deflate and re-inflate your tires with the car Off, or in Accessory, or in Run with engine off?? You say you turned the car on. By my understanding deflating wakes up the sensors and causes them to start transmitting their status, as has been mentioned.

I'm asking because I'm curious to see if you initiated a TPMS relearn procedure without the need for any special diagnostic equipment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey MirageRally could you share the specific steps you took to clear this problem? Did you deflate and re-inflate your tires with the car Off, or in Accessory, or in Run with engine off?? You say you turned the car on. By my understanding deflating wakes up the sensors and causes them to start transmitting their status, as has been mentioned.

I'm asking because I'm curious to see if you initiated a TPMS relearn procedure without the need for any special diagnostic equipment.
    Deflated then re-inflated the tires with the engine off...then turned on the car and drove for about a minute. Then the tpms light went off.

I don't think I initiated a relearn procedure with the engine off...deflating the tires was probably an extra step I didn't need to do... I'm sure mine did the same..dropped in psi due to temp and when l inflated to 38 it went away.
    Last edited by MirageRally; 10-05-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Deflated then re-inflated the tires with the engine off...then turned on the car and drove for about a minute. Then the tpms light went off.

I don't think I initiated a relearn procedure with the engine off...deflating the tires was probably an extra step I didn't need to do... I'm sure mine did the same..dropped in psi due to temp and when l inflated to 38 it went away.
    This is a lot of wasted discussion about someone just having to add air to their tires, & this is why we have TPMS.

If someone doesn't take the time to check their air pressure occasionally, TPMS was designed for them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Anyway, problem solved and I didn't have to go to the dealer or purchase anything to clone my sensors. Not yet anyway - might have to go to the dealer for other stuff. Hope there are Mitsubishi dealers around when it gets to that point.
    Clarification: Your TPMS dash light will return when you add your snow tires this winter. You choose to not doing anything about that. Many members using snow tires do that, & there's nothing wrong with that.

If you want to address the issue of a second set of tires not having sensors, it will involve some cost regardless. If you know a way around that, please share?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I think MirageRally was experiencing some sort of temporary glitch in the operation of his TPMS system. For some reason, his TPMS computer simply wasn't getting valid pressure readings from each sensor even though all 4 tires were properly inflated.

Remember...he said that when he started his car, the TPMS light would flash one time and then stay on solid. That's not one of the normal behaviors you would expect to see from the TPMS light if there was low tire pressure or a system problem.

Recall:

Low tire pressure: TPMS comes on solid from the moment you start the car
    System Problem: TPMS light flashes for one minute and then remains on solid

MirageRally already had his tires properly inflated and but the TPMS light was still on. However, the TPMS light was not indicating a system problem (the light didn't flash for 1 minute when he started the car).

Why deflate the tires?

Deflating a tire by 3 PSI in a short period automatically "triggers" a TPMS sensor to immediately send pressure information to the TPMS computer. Remember that a TPMS sensor is basically inactive when the car is sitting still. You need a TPMS trigger tool (or a 3 PSI loss of pressure) to cause a TPMS sensor to start broadcasting.

He started with 35 PSI in each tire. Then he walked around and deflated each tire. What that did was cause each TPMS sensor to immediately send a pressure reading to the computer. In his case, each sensor "woke up" and transmitted 32 PSI (a valid pressure reading) to the TPMS computer. After receiving 4 valid pressure values, the TPMS system was satisfied and his warning light turned off.

Now...why didn't driving the car with valid pressure readings have the same effect? I have no idea. Maybe there was something in/around his car interfering with the TPMS frequency?!? This is an interesting case to remember in the future.

It's getting cold outside...check your frigging tire pressure!

If you're one of those people who checks their tire pressure every 3 months, you're probably going to wake up one morning to a TPMS light. Even if you had 32 PSI a few weeks ago when it was 90 degrees, you are going to trigger the TPMS light one of these mornings when you wake up and it's 30 degrees outside and your tire pressure has dropped to 26 PSI.

One last comment: Don't confuse MirtageRally's scenario with a "relearn." A TPMS relearn involves storing the 4 TPMS sensor IDs in the Mirage's computer. Nothing in this case involved doing anything with the sensor IDs.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-05-2020 at 04:50 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-06-2020),Eggman (10-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    One last comment: Don't confuse MirtageRally's scenario with a "relearn." A TPMS relearn involves storing the 4 TPMS sensor IDs in the Mirage's computer. Nothing in this case involved doing anything with the sensor IDs.
    I don't think anyone was confusing this with a relearn, because he hadn't visited a dealership or tire shop to do that.

I looked at MirageRally's garage entry, & he has done some messing around with items on his car. Weird things can mess up a TPMS system sometimes. For example here are some -

A window tint that affects the radio wave signals is installed. - taken from my owner's manual

A wireless facility or device using the same frequency is near the vehicle. - also taken from my owner's manual

Personally, I think aliens were in his neighbor, & it messed up his TPMS on his Mirage before they left.

I tend to keep my Forester tires @40 psi. It tends to sit sometimes. Now that it has been colder, they were at 32 psi when I checked the other day. I pumped them back up to 40 psi. If it should warm up some, they will be fine. It will be getting colder, and they will also be fine.

I'm sure my Mirage could use some air, too. They were @ 40 psi all summer, & I am sure they have dropped some. I tend to keep my tires above the recommended level and below the maximum level stated on the sidewall. I'd rather be a little high than low.

That reminds me. I am going out to add some air to my Mirage tires & reset the wrench icon before I forget the reset procedure again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aliens? No...Only mods I've done are purely appearance...nothing to mess with tpms...Led bulbs would in no way affect tpms...unless less wattage were to somehow glitch the sensors as Top Fuel explained.