Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I reset the TPMS sensor myself?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Can I reset the TPMS sensor myself?

Also does anyone know if I can reset the TPMS sensor myself? I absolutely hate that my car has TPMS and it constantly comes on because of the cold and rain....I'm sick of these sensors, I'm switching to winter tires that come without the sensors and I know that I'll have this light on permanently...any suggestions? Reset ETACS?

Moderators note: moved these posts to a thread of their own.

Last edited by Eggman; 10-02-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Also does anyone know if I can reset the TPMS sensor myself? I absolutely hate that my car has TPMS and it constantly comes on because of the cold and rain....I'm sick of these sensors, I'm switching to winter tires that come without the sensors and I know that I'll have this light on permanently...any suggestions? Reset ETACS?
    Take it back to Mentor Mitsubishi and let them fix it.

TINs & TSBs: TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Take it back to Mentor Mitsubishi and let them fix it.

TINs & TSBs: TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)
    Ok, I'll call them tomorrow.

Edit: Mentor Mitsubishi moved and is no longer there...everytime l called in the past l got Mentor Kia...will talk with Sunnyside and also see if they can permanently disable the sensors.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Edit: Mentor Mitsubishi moved and is no longer there...everytime l called in the past l got Mentor Kia...will talk with Sunnyside and also see if they can permanently disable the sensors.
    "Phase-in started in October 2005 at 20%, and reached 100% for models produced after September 2007. In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models released must be equipped with a TPMS.

TPMS isn't mandatory in Canada , and so far, there are no plans to make it so."

I doubt a dealership is going to disable TPMS for you. Moving to Canada would probably be the best solution, but it may not be the most practical one.

Do you have a bad tire sensor?

What is making the dash light turn on? If it is just low psi, adding air should make the dash light go off eventually.

If you put 40 psi in all four tires, do you still have a dash light on?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I'm sick of these sensors, I'm switching to winter tires that come without the sensors and I know that I'll have this light on permanently...any suggestions? Reset ETACS?
    I just lived with the dash light being on during the winter months in both my 2011 Forester & 2017 Mirage. I decided to change that this summer.

I purchased an Autel TS408 tool (approximately $120) & 8 Autel MX-Sensors 2 in 1 (approximately $30/sensor).

I scanned the 4 sensors on my Mirage with the TS408, & then I used those scanned codes to cloned 4 new MX-Sensors to the existing factory ones. It took less than 10 minutes to clone the 4 new sensors. I spent more time opening the packages than cloning them.

When my summer tires come off in mid-November, my four winter tires now have the same codes.

I did the same thing for my winter wheels for my Forester.

My local mechanic charged me $30 to mount the sensors in the 4 wheels & rebalance the tires. I gave him $40 cash.

I used a local tire shop for my Forester tires, & they also charged me $30. I know the owner well, & I gave him $40, too. Neither place made out a slip, because I paid cash. I brought in the sensors, and they were cloned before they installed them. I could have done it after the fact, but this way I know the sensors worked first.

If I want to reclone a sensor to another code, I just need to let the air out of the tire. The sensors can be read & reprogrammed without removing a tire from the rim.

I bought the tool to do this, because I switch up tires on my Mirage. If I have a sensor die in either vehicle, I can clone a new one for $30. I sort of justified buying the $120 tool to do all this, because I switch up tires sometimes. I currently have 4 different pairs/brands of tires for my Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I just lived with the dash light being on during the winter months in both my 2011 Forester & 2017 Mirage. I decided to change that this summer.

I purchased an Autel TS408 tool (approximately $120) & 8 Autel MX-Sensors 2 in 1 (approximately $30/sensor).

I scanned the 4 sensors on my Mirage with the TS408, & then I used those scanned codes to cloned 4 new MX-Sensors to the existing factory ones. It took less than 10 minutes to clone the 4 new sensors. I spent more time opening the packages than cloning them.

When my summer tires come off in mid-November, my four winter tires now have the same codes.

I did the same thing for my winter wheels for my Forester.

My local mechanic charged me $30 to mount the sensors in the 4 wheels & rebalance the tires. I gave him $40 cash.

I used a local tire shop for my Forester tires, & they also charged me $30. I know the owner well, & I gave him $40, too. Neither place made out a slip, because I paid cash. I brought in the sensors, and they were cloned before they installed them. I could have done it after the fact, but this way I know the sensors worked first.

If I want to reclone a sensor to another code, I just need to let the air out of the tire. The sensors can be read & reprogrammed without removing a tire from the rim.

I bought the tool to do this, because I switch up tires on my Mirage. If I have a sensor die in either vehicle, I can clone a new one for $30. I sort of justified buying the $120 tool to do all this, because I switch up tires sometimes. I currently have 4 different pairs/brands of tires for my Mirage.
    Do you suppose that would be a reasonable expense for a young college student (or anyone else) on a tight budget, especially if the car is still under warranty? In the case of Rally, has he owned it a full year?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

When did they move, and and where to? Their website says 8505 Mentor Avenue.

This search shows they may be near Meijer now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    When did they move, and and where to? Their website says 8505 Mentor Avenue.

This search shows they may be near Meijer now.
    Bc of Covid their staff merged with Mentor Kia and when l call mitsubishi...l get directed to Kia instead.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I have cloned sensors as well. Nobody is going to disable TPMS for you...that is illegal. The system Mitsubishi uses is an absolute pain in the ass, and as of now cloning sensors is really the only option.

Before I put in the cloned sensors I just thought of the TPMS warning light as my 'snow tires activated!' light.

As has been mentioned, what is your TPMS light doing now? When it is on steady you have a low tire. When it is flashing, there is a problem with the system.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Before I put in the cloned sensors I just thought of the TPMS warning light as my 'snow tires activated!' light.
    Haha this is good.